THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Love your stories @NanaMama. I would have done the same thing with the crock pot. :) I just took out my tens unit for the first time yesterday since surgery too. I found it helped a bit. Will try some more today in between my icing sessions.
 
This "post op pain" (5 wks out) is definitely a muscular pain. I'm concerned how it intensifies when I 'overdo' also. I too, am 'off cane' a lot inside and I can sure tell when I've crossed over the 'line of doing too much.'
I agree on both points. I am back to light gardening...watering, tending to potted plants, etc....NO hoeing, digging, weeding or planting....but even so can overdo and need to lay down and rest. This is a marathon not a sprint recovery that's for sure. I go back to the cane when my muscles ache or find I'm limping alittle too much. Some day we will be doing the @SaraK dance step.:egypdance:
 
Post Op - 6 weeks: Yesterday I saw the OS's PA for my 6 week check up. It was also the first time I'd driven. As many times as I'd carefully gotten into the passenger side of the car the past few weeks.... I absent-mindedly 'hopped' into the driver's seat with no regard for my hip. :groan: Not cool. I've taken such care every other time, I couldn't believe I reverted back to 'auto'-pilot without thinking. Driving, I had no pain at all... but after I got out of the car to walk, I was a hurting unit.

They X-ray'd my hip and said things looked good. I found out at this appointment that the actual 'ball' used in the surgery is ceramic, the cup is plastic, the rod into my leg and the screws, are titanium. They gave me a laminated business card to carry that said the bearer (of the card) is allowed to set off alarms in airport scanners, etc. There is a cool picture of a THR x-ray'd hip on the card ... I was disappointed to find out it was not mine - but just a generic photo. :sad:

Biggest shocker was finding out I could have driven 4 weeks ago. "Two weeks or when you don't use narcotics anymore." Well, no narcs since day 3. I wasn't aware of that rule ... 'no one told me...' I said. The PA looked at me and said, 'you didn't ask.' :nah:I let it go thinking it may have been in some of the reading material (I hadn't read) and I was just glad to get out of the doctor's office (for once) without having to be weighed. I go back for another check 9/11/18.

I still keep the cane (Erica) around but walk mostly without. The PA told me I need to walk more... (they can certainly be bossy). The nurse had gotten riled up when asking me what meds I was now taking.... I said after I ran out of Meloxicam, I stopped taking the Tylenol and put myself back on Naproxon to help with inflammation .... "I self-medicate". Well, that started a whole new stream of questions. :bignono: Gheesh...

Hoping to catch up with more of you - Though now I can (officially) drive again - I need to hit the streets and Uber. I'll try to get back on here soon and catch up with all of you! "Happy Spring My Hip Friends" (Can someone please answer the door and invite Spring to come in??) :kickedout:

Nana
 
They gave me a laminated business card to carry that said the bearer (of the card) is allowed to set off alarms in airport scanners, etc.
It's good you have this but in my experience security isn't interested in the card. They can easily be duplicated so you will never get waved through. In fact I always tell staff I have 2 fake hips. Saves the embarrassment when the alarm does go off.

Drive safe! :driver:
 
You made me laugh @NanaMama , not getting weighed at the doctor’s office would feel like a gift, or a mistake, hurry before they change their minds!

I found out by accident that I can drive as of 2 weeks postop as long as I’m off the pain meds. I was talking to my surgeon’s NP and she said I could start outpatient PT. When I said that I couldn’t get there because I couldn’t drive yet she said YES YOU CAN... Surprise! My packet they gave me at discharge specifically says to NOT drive until after postop visit. And they wonder why we’re confused!

Congratulations on your progress.
 
Great update, @NanaMama! Glad to hear things are going well :)

I hope you will continue to update us on your progress, as your posts always make me smile! :heehee: Now get out there and do all you’ve been wanting to with your newfound freedom to drive!
 
:driver:We have arrived! Look out Nana..right behind you (beep-beep).:driver:
I don't think I could have driven prior to my 6 week mark even if they said I could.
I'm jealous, I didn't get a business card with my apparatus listed!:sad:
What is the airline protocol now for us fake hippies.. @Jaycey ..xray or a pat down? Hope he's cute. :) :-) (:
 
I think I saw on one of the threads in the Social Room that a few people have been told they needed to show their scar. Not gonna happen with me! First, they don't really want to see my rear (ok, top of hip) but they really don't to see me show my rear (as in, having a fit)! If I'm ever asked to do that, there will be an immediate call for a supervisor. (all bets are off, though, if he's cute). That said, I think you can just ask to use one of the scanners instead. When I set off the alarms at a client's office (government building ) they just wand me.
 
@NanaMama, Your posts are always funny but I really laughed thinking about your reaction
when you realized you could have driven a month ago. :rotfl:
Happy Ubering! :driver:
 
@Jaycey - My name isn't even on the card they gave me .... :oyvey:I mean.... not my name... not my x-ray. I say this is identity theft waiting to happen. We are actually flying the end of this month. Maybe I won't mention the "THR" and then when the alarm sounds, I'l yell, "I won! I won!" :happydance:

@AJinNH - Re: Weight.... I want a laminated card that says "this patient gets a lifetime 3-5 lb. pass at every weigh in, due to a total hip replacement." :yay:

Show my scar??? SHOW MY SCAR??? This would rank up there with the breast milk debacles of a few years back. TSA - you really don't wanna go there. I mean, you REALLY don't wanna go there. We fly regularly to and from Arizona. Can you just imagine the number of hip replacements, on any given flight in/out of the Grand Canyon State?? "Geriatric Chippendale's" coming soon, to an airport near you! :spin:
 
Awhile back, some of us were talking about doing a BoneSmart Hippie reunion cruise (if you can reunite without ever having physically been together). We were wondering how many days it would take all of us to board the ship. Would we ever leave port?
 
@NanaMama Glad you're doing well and driving! I've travelled quite a bit since having my knee replaced and I tell security, go through the scanner and sometimes they use the wand. Never had a problem and none have ever asked to see the scar.
 
@NanaMama -- You are hysterical and reading your post thread brightened my Post Op Day #4. So appreciate your keepin' it real. My particular focus today is pooping (well...NOT pooping) so I am going to try some of your suggestions and see what develops. Blessing to you on your ongoing recovery! I hope things are going swimmingly.
 
@NanaMama Oh. My. I used Colace+MoM+prunes+pear juice. The pear juice should have a black box warning label! I had a horrible night where I had to use a bedside commode -- lots of accidents and embarrassments. Thank God for a very compassionate caregiver! Not quite back to normal yet but getting there :P Thanks for asking!
 
I have had amazing good results with Miralax powder. It’s tasteless and can be added to your beverage. I take one capful a day, plus 2 stool softeners daily as well as 6 prunes with breakfast and I have very normal movements. I’ve always had issues with chronic constipation and now I’m considering buying Miralax stock:heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom