Guest viewing is limited

THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Now that's what I like to hear! Mega dancing session tomorrow night - you can guess the music from the band's name - That 80s Band. :happyfeet:
 
@NanaMama
Thank you for the post about your mom. I too had a “force to be reckoned with” mama.
She also had to have joint replacements and I’ve been thinking of her so much these past few months.
Your post made me smile between a couple tears.
 
@NanaMama you made me cry for my feisty mama too. We lost her 4 yrs ago this May to a sudden heart attack at age 66. I felt so sorry for myself before and after this surgery without her here. I know she’s been with me through it all but I really could have used a few of her hugs when I was scared and when I was in pain. Time does have a way with healing our broken hearts, but there’s nothing like major surgery to turn a grown woman into a little girl who needs her mama. We were blessed to have my parents live with us for 9 yrs before they moved out again for 3 on their own. It was challenging to say the least but I wouldn’t change those years for anything and neither would our kids. Thank you for sharing your story. Soon those canes will be a thing of the past for you too.
 
Oh NanaMama your post brought back memories!
I used to watch Lawrence Welk with my great grandma when I was little.
I loved the Lennon Sisters, Bobby and Cissy that crazy Jo Ann Castle playing her piano, most all of it!
Loved the pretty dresses and matching shoes. Wunnerful, Wunnerful :heehee:
I used to watch Hazel with her too, remember that show?

Thanks for the memories @NanaMama....hope your weekend is Wunnerful!
 
Post Op Days 23 & 24 (Thursday & Friday): Lest I backslide, the crutches have been returned to their rightful owner. The cane and I are becoming friends. Thursday found me enjoy two outings (with a three hour nap in between). It was great to get away for a couple hours each time... Maybe I can better relate to Ginger as she creates her own escapes.
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
I can tell you, there will be no long term adventures for me... to anyplace without a handicapped bathroom. Unlike Ginger, who can squat and pee 14 times on a short walk ... I cannot. In fact, Thursday - Dan picked up a second toilet riser (for the basement bathroom).

Friday I reinstated the TED boycott. I was concerned my leg hair may have started to meld into the hose fabric, but fortunately, it had not. As I was freed once again from Nurse Ratchet's leggings, I decided it was time to shave my legs. For any woman who has had a hip replacement... you know the limitations of this activity. 1.) it's very hard to shave your leg without bending at the waist (can we say impossible?) 2.) While on blood thinners, it's never a good idea to cut yourself needlessly.

Now somewhere, sitting on a beach, sipping a beverage with an umbrella in it... is the genius who invented the "giraffe razor extension handle" which has likely made him or her, filthy rich. This gadget (go ahead, Google it) makes shaving your legs (without breaking the 90) possible. I don't have one. Some creative women have duck taped their razors to a ruler or dowel. This may get the job done... but there's no beach or umbrella drink for this effort. I didn't even try.

Once again - it is my man, Dan to the rescue. I seat myself on the shower chair (outside the shower) and proceed to instruct my husband/caretaker how to apply Nair lotion to my legs. He (of course, because he's Dan) thoroughly reads the instructions

"It says we're supposed to use a sponge to apply it"
"Just use your hands - it's fine"
"Is it supposed to be this thick?" (won't come out of the dispenser)
"Take the top off... just pour it in your hand"
"This stuff smells like a hair permanent"
"Yeah... it's potent but we don't leave it on long"
He continues to spread the depilatory from my ankle to knee
"Careful... You're not supposed to rub it in - just be sure all my skin in covered"

He tells Siri to set a timer and then washes his hands (probably three times - would hate to take the hair off his knuckles) ... Siri speaks, I shower, legs are smooth, mission accomplished! Another first in my "post THR" recovery.

I'm looking forward to the weekend - Thank You for praying for me!
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
I guess I'm lucky - after my THR I realized that I don't really have to worry about shaving my legs anymore. For whatever reason, as I've grown older, the leg hair has gone away - all but a few hairs that it's easier to pluck than shave. I definitely couldn't see my 17 YO son helping me!
 
@SaraK - I often tell people "I don't remember the 80's" - I know it's a broad statement but having 3 littles during that decade... I seriously don't remember much between Melissa Manchester singing, "Don't Cry Outloud" in 1979 (which I sang to my firstborn) and Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" in 1990... when I decided it would be good for me to listen to the music my "now 10 year old" was being exposed to. Was there really a band called "That 80s Band"??

@BeBe - My Mom (and my Dad too) were both Type A personalities. I was their only child ... I still can't make decisions without blood, sweat and tears. I refer to myself as Decision Challenged. As she entered her 80's, she relinquished some of her control - but because of memory issues, she often forgot she had done so and we'd have some conflicts. I still say I "channel her" (an expression, not a truth) when I need to have a backbone. "Gotta get my Iris on".

@hipster333 - Oh my friend... I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. I know we should be grateful for the years we "had" them, but 66 is far too young to leave the planet (easy for me to say... at 64). It truly makes my heart smile that they shared your home and left memories your children will not forget. I think deep down, we all long to be remembered....

@Layla - I was born when my Dad was 42... his mother was 70 when I was born... so my early memory of "Larry" Welk was Saturday nights at her house - black and white. Yes - Lennon Sisters (Kathy was my favorite). I had their paper dolls and Grandma got the TV Radio Mirror magazine which had a major Lennon Sister layout every issue. In Iowa, our Public Television airs Lawrence Welk weekly (on Sat. night) - some in B&W, some in color.... We recorded them all on our DVR (as well as The Gaithers and Guy Lombardo). The year she lived here - it was non-stop music. She'd call me at work and say, "Do we have any music today?" And I'd go in remotely and start a show for her. She'd suddenly say, "Oh never mind... I got some." God love her. FYI: Hazel - Shirley Booth. Mr. Baxter was played by Don Defore who came from Cedar Rapids IA (near where I live).
 
I guess I'm lucky - after my THR I realized that I don't really have to worry about shaving my legs anymore. For whatever reason, as I've grown older, the leg hair has gone away - all but a few hairs that it's easier to pluck than shave. I definitely couldn't see my 17 YO son helping me!

@SaraK - mine has thinned considerably - Mom's eventually disappeared. Perhaps I'm following her example!
 
@NanaMama - just gives us one less thing to worry about (after I got reassurance from the dermatologist that it didn't mean I had some dire disease).

That 80s Band is the name of the band playing tonight - just a local group that plays nothing but 80s songs. I'm slightly younger than you at 55, so it takes me back to college days sand makes me feel young again. My group is mainly mid-40s to mid 60s and we'll put the youngsters to shame with how much we dance tonight compared to them.
 
@SaraK - Yes... you are enough younger than me that the 80's were your Hey-Days! (while My Cra-Daze) :tiredwheel:
I changed my FB Profile picture back to this one (from two years ago) to remind myself I have "goals" to attain.
We took this pic during a "Spontaneous Dance Party" while redecorating our basement a couple years ago. Have fun tonight... but don't over-do!!
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
Love it! You WILL hit that goal!

I plan to over do it tonight! Then my whole body will be sore (I just got back from working with my trainer and my arms, shoulders and back will also be sore) which will make me appreciate my scheduled massage even more!

Happy St. Paddy's!
 
@NanaMama You are not an only child, we are sisters from not so different mothers!! I remember when I first learned of type A personalities. I cried. I plan to write a book about my mothers family. Can I talk you into ghosting it for me?!? Which brings me to...
@Layla
Lawrence Welk - my mothers cousin dated him in the 1930's.

I live such an uninteresting life compared to those who came before me. However I do share hip arthritis with them.
 
@SaraK - How are you feeling this morning? Did you party like it was 1999? (I 'do' remember 1999 much more vividly than the 80's) :snork: As I tripped down Memory Lane (after our exchange yesterday) - I realize that although I don't recall music and movies from the 80's ... I did do my share of dancing then - but the music was 60's and 70's (much like your 80's retrospect.) My personal favorite: Gary Pucket & the Union Gap (be still, my heart)

@BeBe - Hip Sistas, we are! So are you a Type A? I'm not even sure I'm a Type B (you know, decision challenged) :chinstroke: Like I've said, I doubt I could write a book (I don't talk in complete sentences... not since 1979) I think I'm more of a story-teller than an author. But you should get a notebook and start writing down things about your Mother's family! And, interestingly - I have a friend who grew up in Grand Island, NE and his mother used to sing duets with Joe Feeney. :friends: I know it is surgery week for you. "Keep Calm & Carry On"

@Bumblebee - I did a 'soft shoe' probably 35 years ago in a local Variety Show to "Me & My Shadow" - I say it was soft shoe... it started out that way but moved into a tap dance. Anyway - we used canes (I was the shadow to gal about 25 years older than me)... Thanks for conjuring up that memory for me! I sort of maintain 'recovery' allows too much time "to think" - but good thoughts and memories are like fresh air!
 
@NanaMama - I'm not sure how I felt this morning since it's noon and the slug-a-bed is just getting up. I'm fEeling better than I have a right to feel, though. I'm not really sore anywhere - just a tiny bit here and there but mainly arms and shoulders. The legs and hip feel great. I actually saw Gary Puckett and the Union Gap once in the 80s. It was fun listening to them!

I wouldn't worry about whether you write in complete sentences - the story telling format is acceptable as well. Quit giving excuses and start writing!

Have a great day!
 
The 90s were my heyday, but I love the 80s music as well!--And I do remember watching The Lawrence Welk show, but it may have been in repeats at that point. No matter the decade we are all joined at the hip :rotfl: or because of the hip. @NanaMama my mom was definitely too young! She was my best friend which made losing her all the harder. I do cherish having my dad live with us, but that comes with its own struggles--especially since he refuses to get out and meet new or any people outside of our home. I love the photo of your spontaneous dance party!! You'll get there again! Feeling so much more like my younger self finally almost 6 weeks after surgery. @SaraK that's awesome that you're feeling so great after your big night out!!!
Hope everyone enjoys the end of their weekend!
 
@SaraK you are a wild woman- not sure I could keep up with you dancing!
@hipster333 i lost my mom and best friend 7 years ago. I am an only child; she developed polio when I was 6 weeks old. She was my best buddy and my cheerleader. At night when I’m having trouble sleeping, I talk to her. My dad lived with us for a bit after mom died. Dad had cancer and needed me. It did have I its ups and downs
Funny how we all have do many things in common.

Hope you all are doing well and happy today! @SaraK early to bed maybe?
 
Maybe @Walkinginthesand - I have a well-earned massage in an hour or so and then need to tackle a box of paperwork for the office. Definitely a less enjoyable or stimulating evening tonight. And PT before work tomorrow morning.
 
Post Op Days 25 & 26 (Weekend Update): We spent the weekend in a semi-vegetative state. Working on taxes ... other 'paperwork'... no housework, although Sunday I did laundry. I estimate it takes probably 10 times longer (not exaggerating) when you don't bend over. I used my cane and grabber to the best of my ability and like the tortoise ... I got the job done. FYI: Whereas the grabber can pick up a pair of my jeans, Dan's "denim" requires the hook of my cane. This is even more of a challenge coming out of the washing machine "wet'. The laundry basket travels nicely on the floor, when its handle is being dragged by the handle of my trusty cane (that I like to call "Erica").

Dan allows me to "do what I can" (probably because he is exhausted from doing all "I couldn't" for the past 4 weeks) but there's always a downside to that too. It usually has to do with drops and spills. The best of intentions can end in a mess. The diffuser 'fell' (aka 'was knocked') off the end table while I was folding a blanket. The aforementioned diffuser was filled with water. Dan and towels to the rescue. Erica loses her balance.... crashes to the floor Dan comes to her (and my) aid. He hears a thud, crash, or splat followed by my "Dang", "No!" or "Snap" ... Again... he's on the move. A vase fell off the top of the refrigerator. (That would be a 'crash').

"Be careful!" he yells "There's broken glass!" (he's barefoot, I'm not)
"Uh, I don't think so."
"Yes there is - keep Ginger away from there."
Again I say, "There's no glass, the vase didn't break".
"Yes it did - Look at the top, it's all jagged... "
I walk over to the vase - pick it up (Thank You, Erica) and press the jagged "top" to my cheek. "See?"

Dan is obviously not familiar with the fluted tops of flower vases... but it was one less mess to clean up, so he didn't mind being wrong.

We enjoyed church Saturday night but my 'evening energy' is not near that of my 'morning'. As I compare weekend 4 though (to weekend 3) I can see steady improvement. The crutch is gone, I am down to 1350mg of Tylenol a day. I'm not 'afraid' of getting in and out of cars... I'm looking at my limitations as opportunities to conquer rather than challenges to avoid.

Thanks to you who still pray for me
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
I 'still' appreciate them!
 
Back
Top Bottom