THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Thanks for the update @NanaMama
Love the pic of you and hubby " the look of love" all I'm saying!
Hope your week is great!
 
@sequin98 - I was just on your thread reading the latest encouragements to you! You will do great. I wasn't overly 'crazy with hope' with the outpatient (more scared) but bottom line - they get us all in/out in fine fashion because "they've got this surgery down to science." My DIL is a Chaplain at a regional hospital and she says "younger patients do better (easier recovery) than older". (Her line of division was 70!!) I'm one of the oldsters on this site @ 64 ... :) :-) (: My PCP thought I was "too young" for THR... boy, was she wrong! HIP HIP HURRAY!

I pray that though you may fall asleep with butterflies tonight - you will awake with thanksgiving and peace that passes all understanding! See you tomorrow on the flip side!
 
I also had a "drive thru" surgery the second time around - much preferred it to the first with one-night stay!
 
Saw on AJinNH's thread that you are audiobook fan. Same here - I read enough at work and prefer to listen for fun (also easier driving and at gym, etc.). What genres do you like and what books would you suggest that you've read recently? I read everything from murder mysteries, spy thrillers, biographies, romance, etc. Most recent ones I really recommend are A Gentleman from Moscow and Rules of Civility - both my Amor Townes. I'm currently listening to the Maggie Hope series.
 
Post Op Day 27 & 28 (Mon-Tue): There's less to report these days. I'm beginning to run out of the medications I was to take "after" the surgery and I'm not sure if that is what is causing my additional pain... or if I'm possibly over-doing. Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory (like Ibuprofen) and I've been taking it since early November. I'm done with that now. Gabapentin is a pain med for the nerves... I think I might have one more of those. It's a sticky wicket when you think you're 'improving' but then begin to question if your recovery is only as lasting as the pills you take. It's the ole 'one step forward two steps back.' It's part of the process, I guess.

I'm still honing my skills to stay in compliance with the post op restrictions. I now let GInger out/in while performing the half moon yoga pose. My latest bit of ingenuity came when attempting to put on a pair of shoes that have a Velcro closure in the back (heel). With the Velcro unsecured... I put the shoe on and then, lying down on the bed, I bent my knee (new hip side) which allowed me to reach down and fasten the Velcro. Ta dah - I put on my shoes at 180 degrees. Yay me!

Erica Cane and I are on the move and she continues to amaze me with her versatility. Whereas I had been at the mercy of 'someone' closing a car door for me, I can now extend Erica out to grab the armrest of the open door and pull it shut. Dan says I need to use caution when doing this, as in my zeal to be self-sufficient... the person in the driver's seat must be on the defense as Erica's rubber bottom speeds toward them. Hey - it's part of being a caretaker! Expect the unexpected.

I'm still dropping things to the floor regularly. Some I can pick up with my grabber... other things I just leave there. The funniest thing I've knocked over, was our Echo Dot (off the end table by my chair). I heard it hit the ground... "Alexa? Are you OK?" She replies... "I'm great. I hope you are too."

Yup ... I'm great. I hope you are too.
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
@SaraK - I'm currently listening to Richard Paul Evans (The Broken Road). I OD'd on Christmas books most of Oct. Nov. and Dec. (started early as our family Christmas was Nov. 19). Evans had 3 books Mistletoe Promise, Mistletoe Inn and another.... and I was all excited to watch the Hallmark movie (Mistletoe Promise) after reading it. TERRIBLE. I've seen a lot of Hallmark movies based on books and they were excellent - but this one was horrible. Allen Eskens is another author (not too many books though) that I've really enjoyed. DH and I have listened to dozens (and dozens) of audiobooks - mystery or crime/drama or Christian fiction is our usual genre. He also likes historical fiction and sci-fi (neither of those for me... thank you). Patterson, Connelly, Grishom, Grafton (never a "Z" :bawl:) ... and a variety of Amish mysteries, Stephanie Plum (I'm pretty much over her). I'll listen to any Sparks, Macomber.... but if I were to recommend something - it would be Mary Kay Andrews. Most of her books are set in the South and they are just great. She has a Callahan Garrity series that are very entertaining. I'm going to check out Maggie Hope!
 
Also try the Maisie Dobbs series (and a standalone by same author - The Care and Management of Lies). I also love Connelly, Grisham, Grafton, Patterson and similar. OMG - I could listen to Scott Brick reading a telephone book (him and Patrick Stewart). Since some of our tastes overlap, I'll have to think back through and see if there are other authors you might like.
 
I put the shoe on and then, lying down on the bed, I bent my knee (new hip side) which allowed me to reach down and fasten the Velcro. Ta dah - I put on my shoes at 180 degrees. Yay me!
Thats how I get my sock on. :loll:

OMG....I learned that Erica Cane trick of closing the car door too!
 
@Bumblebee - I tried that with my sock today too.... shorter sock would have been easier... I used my long shoe horn, my grabber and my big toe. :egypdance:
 
My Facebook update (for yesterday) had little to do with my hip recovery ... but it may bring a chuckle to you, during yours!
====================================================================

Post Op Day 29 (Wednesday): You know... sometimes recovery defines your day's occurrences .... and then there was yesterday. Ginger had an appointment with the groomer. I had planned to walk her uptown, but the return of pain in my thigh made me reconsider and accept the offer of a friend to deliver her to the pet salon.

Shortly before the 'pick up' time, I think to myself, I'll put some chicken breasts in the crock pot for our evening meal. Always having good intentions, I had asked Dan more than a week ago to get the crock pot out from under the island so I could "throw something in it" (at my whim or discretion). He had done so (got it out) ... I had not (thrown anything in it).

Today was to be the day. I thawed some frozen chicken breasts and placed them in the stoneware. (The crock pot was still sitting on the stove where Dan had put it) I unplugged the toaster and put it away, then plugged the crock pot into the outlet. POOF! Sparks flew from the socket. Rats.

I scoot the appliance to the other side of the counter where I unplug the can opener and plug in the crock pot. POP! More sparks and the microwave goes off. Oh forevermore - what has gone wrong with our wiring? I text my friend (Ginger's Uber driver) - "Blew a fuse, going to basement... door is unlocked, come on in"

In the basement, at the fuse box, I see the two tripped switches and reset them. Back up the stairs. Microwave is still off.... so it's evidently more than the breakers. I'll try the outlet in the bathroom. I clear a crock pot sized space on the vanity and once again .... well, you know what I did... and you can pretty much guess what happened. This one takes out the power in the living room.

My friend arrives. I tell her the mysterious tale and suggest we try one more socket (I mean, could they all be bad?) She picks up the crock pot for me, to move it to another outlet... (though live ones are now getting hard to find) and the cord falls off in her hand
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
Holy Smokes... it's not the wiring, it's the crock pot.

She retrieves another crock pot from under the island and transfers the chicken. We try another outlet only to find that the third attempt had taken out most of the main level power. Dan texts me and asks if the power is off. (he got a message from the security system saying it had gone to battery back up). "Funny you should ask" I reply.

My friend and I now take the second crock pot to the garage and plug it in - then, per Dan's request, I return to the basement and am able to reset the third breaker and get some of the main level power back on, including the security system .... we move the crock pot back to the kitchen (to a restored outlet.)

When Dan got home from work (and picking up the newly coiffed Ginger) he spends the next 2+ hours investigating the damage, going to the hardware store and then changing out wall sockets. He asked for my assistance in checking the breakers (though I'm sure he questioned why...) only to find I'd not truly reset one of those first two "all the way".
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side


As I told this story to one of my sons and his wife - he asked me, "Mom, How many outlets would it take before you thought to check the crock pot?" My answer? Probably all of them. (How else would I check the crock pot?) And yes, I am well aware of the definition of insanity. Hey - I'm a woman in recovery. I was just trying to make a nice supper. (Which we didn't have until after 7:00). As with all of life, there are ups and downs... good and bad. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. Some days you're the crock pot.... some days you're the plug.

This post proves you ought not stop praying for me.
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
Thanks for the laugh @NanaMama I needed that. What a funny visual of you and that crockpot. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to witness the expression on your face.
 
Yo - my happy hippy friends - I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used a TENS unit on sore muscles post op? It will be 5 weeks tomorrow since surgery - and last week, I started experiencing some 'aches and soreness' that I hadn't previously. I'm crediting (blaming) the fact that some of the meds I was to take Post-Op have now 'run out'... (Meloxicam for 30 days.... Gabapentin for 30 days.... etc.) I'm wondering if these pains existed after surgery and are only now rearing their ugly heads, since the meds had covered them up? I've only taken Tylenol since about day 4 after surgery.... but now that the Meloxicam is gone - I can use another anti-inflammatory. I'm walking "off cane" more each day - and I'm contemplating the TENS unit. I sort of feel like 1 step forward... 2 steps back.
 
So you dont feel alone, I still have some achiness, groin, thigh, knee...I'm off the cane in the house only. If I do too much the achiness intensifies. I'm only taking Celebrex an anti-inflammatory, which I will probably end in a few weeks when I go for my next OS checkup. I believe Josephine commented on the TENS unit and she liked it while using it on herself. I tried it pre surgery and didn't find it any benefit to me. But everyone responds differently.
 
Hi @NanaMama what a coincidence! I just dusted off my tens unit today. My back and shoulders have been so sore from sitting and lying down I thought I’d try the Tens, although I only used it for my hip and lower back previously. It does help some, not a miracle cure, but I felt it helped, especially with my back. It took the edge off for me.
Is there somewhere you can try it before purchasing one? If you’re having PT they might have one you can try. I purchased mine from PT as well and thought I paid a fair price for it.
 
@AJinNH - Yes, I have a TENS unit and finally located it yesterday. I've had occasional back issues and picked one up several years ago. It has four pads and I put two on my thighs and two on my low back. It usually takes a few days of using it before I get any relief. Hoping that holds true with this situation as well.

@Bumblebee - I hadn't thought of trying it on my hip (pre-op) but probably because I'd only used it for muscular pain and the OA pain was so different. This "post op pain" (5 wks out) is definitely a muscular pain. I'm concerned how it intensifies when I 'overdo' also. I too, am 'off cane' a lot inside and I can sure tell when I've crossed over the 'line of doing too much.'
 
Back
Top Bottom