Guest viewing is limited

THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Love :loveshwr:and hugs :friends: to you @NanaMama
Thanks for your update!
Hope your weekend is all you want it to be :flwrysmile:
 
I'm taking notes @NanaMama, you're blazing the trail for us. It's good to see how much you are able to do just 2 weeks out. I'm sure it feels all slow motion to you, and I know it will for me too, but time seems to fly by so quickly these days that I'm kind of looking forward to having to slow down for a bit. Please only a bit.
Have a great weekend! And start thinking about that new career.
 
Hi @NanaMama :hi:....just reading your updates! Recovery is a mixed bag that's for sure. But sounds like you are on track. That's what they keep telling me too! Rejoice in the progress and overlook the setbacks. We will be determined to get better no matter how long it takes! ((Hugs))

Ain't No Stoppin Us Now (1979)
McFadden & Whitehead, WHITEHEAD, ...
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We're on the move!
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We've got the groove!
There's been so many things that's held us down
But now it looks like things are finally comin' around
I know we've got, a long long way to go
And where we'll end up, I don't know
But we won't let nothin' hold us back
We're putting our selves together
We're polishing up our act!
If you felt we've been held down before
I know you'll refuse to be held down anymore!
Don't you let nothing, nothing
Stand in your way!
I want ya'll to listen, listen
To every word I say, every word I say!
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We're on the move!
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We've got the groove!
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
We're on the move!
Ain't No Stoppin Us Now!
 
Post Op Day 16 (Thursday). The day has come I believe, when one day looks very much like another. We have our little routines and the only thing that looks "different" is if it is a weekday or a weekend. I of course, prefer weekends when Dan is home - but I think I've adapted well to a few hours of isolation each day.

I must say visitors are something to look forward to, and mine are mindful of the length of their visits and my need for a nap. They still are willing to let Ginger out when she barks (and trust me, she tests the waters every.single.time someone stops by.) Dan has barricaded the steps down from the deck, so I can let her out when I'm here alone (without tether). The snow covered surface is now referred to as the poop deck. A visitor yesterday let her out - I said, 'don't worry about letting her in... she'll be fine while we visit.' She barked a bit ...
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
... but eventually stopped. A short time later... there's a knock at the door and then it opens. Linda (Ginger's Fairy Godmother) comes in with her on a leash. "She was scratching at our backdoor". (They live across the street and over one house.... if you ever need directions, just ask Ginger). How she squeezed through the barricade, or why she chose to go to Linda's (rather than scratch on our front door, which she has been known to do before) I've no idea. I have to wonder
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
if she saw Linda's car at home (?) so decided to take the path less traveled ... though always more fun. I suppose we will be reported to DHS... or would it be DAS? (Animal?) Actually, Ginger doesn't consider herself 'an animal' - wherein lies part of the problem.

In other news - I dropped a sewing needle, on the laminate flooring. I couldn't see it but I certainly didn't want to "find" it the hard way... I backed away from my chair, eyeballing the space beneath it, from a bit of a distance, There it is. I take my crutch and sweep beneath the chair, ever so carefully. I missed. I try again... missed again. Finally, that teeny tiny needle comes out into the light of day. Now what? It is far too small for my cheap grabber - and I believe it would be safe to say it was beyond the realm of a more expensive model either. We all know necessity is the mother of invention - and although this is 'nothing new under the Sun', I got some scotch tape... rolled up a piece and placed on the bottom of my crutch and began some serious tapping. After a few attempts and a little adjusting of the tape .... I'd 'caught me' a dandy needle and saved myself (or someone else) some pain and suffering.

Yup... just another day of recovery. I realize how well I'm doing and continually thank those of you who pray faithfully for my recovery!
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
@Bumblebee - thanks for the song! My youngest son says "You can make anything a song, Mom". (It's true). I think of you often... my surgery twin. Every week, we 'gain momentum'. We surely are ON THE MOVE and THERE AIN'T NO STOPPIN' US..... AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH... oops. I got carried away. :loll:

@Hippielife (aka Professor Higgins) .... by cracky... I think you've got it too! ♫♪ The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on the Plain ♫♪ "I think you've got it!":yes!:

@AJinNH - Sweetie, I blaze no trails. The veterans on this site are the pioneers who did that for us and how blessed we are that they have done so! We all bring a story though! :SUNsmile:

Thank You HipSistas for your continual encouragement.... Not only in joint recovery but in the 'restoration' of my mind and spirit regarding the job loss and "future" aspirations. I've had a lot of people over the years, tell me I should 'write a book' but what I write 'best' about - is my life and frankly... my life just isn't book worthy. (I could maybe be a guest on Jerry Springer though....) :egypdance:

I did have a blog for 14 months about my mother living with us. :unsure: If any of you (or someone you know) ever find yourself in that situation or contemplating it, you might enjoy reading. It is appropriately titled: Life with NanaMama's Mama. It looked (with humor) at the daily existence of 3 generations living together. An octogenarian with memory issues... a teenage daughter ... the menopausal "daughter, mother, wife," and the saint of a man who endured life with the 3 of them. Yesterday, after reading some of your messages, I brought the blog up and read some entries. I should have started at the beginning instead of the end :sad: If you do check it out (Google "Life with NanaMama's Mama") be sure and start with the first entry- February 2010. If I were to self-publish something - I would likely try that.

I hope you have a dandy weekend ladies! :) Love and Gratitude, NanaMama
 
Last edited:
It is interesting how our OS teach different info, give different PT instructions, and have different pre & post-op protocols. I had bone class a few days prior to surgery. One of the things we leaned was How to get In and Out of a Car. We were shown how to use a walker, and discussed crutches, & canes. Then we come to BS and share!
 
@AgilityDog - I had a PT session 2 weeks before my surgery and then a refresher course about 90 minutes after my surgery... and then they wheeled me to the parking garage and 'talked me into the back seat of the car'. They said that would be the only time I'd ride like that (laid out in the back seat.) I had to watch a YouTube to find out how to get in/out of the front seat (last weekend) before going to church. I think what sort of bothers me is that they gave me a nice booklet of instructions including all the OTC stuff I needed to buy. My pain meds were all 'decided' and as far as I could tell, it was a one size fits all. I sort of thought things might be tailored to each patient... but it appears to be tailored to each OS. "This Dr. goes with percocet whereas this Dr. prescribes Oxycontin. This one does TED hose for 2 weeks.... this one for 6... this one for none. Same with PT.... hospital stay, compression cuffs. I agree it is 'interesting' and at times... a little concerning. Oh well, we all seem to be getting better! That's a good thing. :)
 
Post Op Day 17 (Friday): TGIF ... Funny, when you are home and pretty much housebound, Friday doesn't quite have the impact it had before. Oh well, another 'day in the life' and coming into the weekend, I tend to evaluate my improvement since last weekend. More on that tomorrow.

Today was my first solo shower without putting anyone on standby. Not that having someone on phone standby can prevent me from dislocating my hip or falling in (or out of) the shower, it's just the thought that someone is listening for your SOS, is a bit of a comfort. Today I felt like I was taking a 'stealth shower'.

I dressed and even put on crew socks (thank you faithful grabber and big toe on my left foot. What would I do without each of you?) I haven't worn my TED hose for a couple days. Now... before you judge me (or report me to the TED Police) let me just say that those stockin's are spawns of the devil. How in the world they expect a patient in recovery (with 90 degree restrictions) to get those suckers on OR off is beside me. I've had to have Dan's assistance every single time and believe me when I say, these are things that test a marriage... we passed, but it's still a test. You need to be sure the heel is on the bottom... the ankle span can seriously, not be more than 2" ... you don't want to let them twist on the way up. It's a battle and it's exhausting and sometimes a little painful. We've definitely gotten better at it, but it's like cleaning the bathroom.... you know you have to do it - but you just don't want to. Dan has experimented with a couple different methods and I must say it isn't as bad as it was at first, however... I'm willing to endure the compression cuffs (which I don't need to use anymore) to relieve my guilt of skipping a day.

Getting the TEDs off is a similar story of discomfort. It's not so bad when Dan is home... but since most of my recent showers have been unattended - so has been the "Shed of the TED" Getting the one off my good leg is easy peasy - but that dang bad leg gives me fits. This week (before my TED strike) I tried various methods of removal (all unsuccessful) including shutting the elastic top (now extended to the front of my toes) into the front door and then (crutch secured under my good armpit) I attempted to walk backwards. I made some progress... but then I thought it was going to rip so I aborted the mission. I'll post a photo of my last (successful) attempt.

I want to assure you, I wore my TEDs religiously for 2 weeks. I'll wear them again (I supp-hose) HA! I crack myself up... (this is what happens when an extrovert spends too much time alone). I just wish they didn't look so ghostly. Maybe I should start a business making tie-dyed TEDs. Who's with me?

Happy Saturday everyone! Thank You for praying for both my recuperating hip and my rebellious attitude
 
No judgement! I don’t know how you did it that long. Doc told me in hospital I wouldn’t go home with stockings since I’m recovering pretty much alone. I’d dislocate the hip trying to get them on! He knew I’d be up and about and would take the aspirin as prescribed.
 
TED Police, hahaha! Love it.
The TED Police is in essence our guilty conscience spurring us on to do something we despise.

You mentioned hubby has tried various methods. My sister who lives close by used to put mine on daily after my four hour break. Hubby took them off before he left for work, she'd come around 4-5 hrs later and put them on.
The method she used was this ~ she scrunched them way down, started with toes, then heel. Once they were over my foot I put my foot (heel) on her chest and she slid them up the rest of the way.
She felt the key was to do it quickly, if you stopped, they got stuck. She could whip those things on like no ones biz. Way faster than hubs. Have yours try that method if he hasn't already.
Hope you have a great Sunday! :yes: :SUNsmile:
@NanaMama
 
It is interesting how our OS teach different info, give different PT instructions, and have different pre & post-op protocol
Not only that but each PT differs in their exercise protocol...quite confusing for the average patient on who is right or wrong. I still think it's best to listen to our bodies.
 
Wow, those TEDS are awful, it's hard enough taking them OFF let alone getting them on. Once mine came off 2 days after coming home as I recall, I knew they were never going back on! No way, Jose!
 
@NanaMama I have tears in my eyes! Yes TED hose Spawn for sure.
The TEDs I received and wore home from my first surgery "attempt" last Oct
were so loose they were bunching around my ankles by the time I got home.
The nurse measured and put on me but they were not tight by any means.
This time around I will have the compression booties but not sure about TEDs
 
@BeBe - I should have guessed they came in various sizes. Last Lent (2017) I did a 40 day/40 item purge (let's just say it was extensive). My mother had lived with us the year before her death, and she had several pairs that I 'purged' to Goodwill. How I regret that donation of (likely looser) Spawns, not to mention her high end grabber. Live and learn.... Live and learn.

@Bumblebee - I tend to be a rule follower, though I've been known to bend them now and again :nah:and when it comes to TEDs, I say, "What better time?"

@hikejunkie - you are a Rock Star in my book - flying solo 24/7 (or even 20/7) is like Medal of Honor status.

@Layla - I broke the TED boycott this morning (before church) and believe it or not.... your Sis' method is pretty much what we tried. 1.) I think with a woman's history of pantyhose and tights, 'we' scrunch far better than men do... 2.) The foot on the chest is definitely a 'solid' move!
 
Yes...for tye dye TEDS.
I lost mine in the washing machine on day three.:shrug:
 
I didn't like the pneumatic cuffs - especially the first time. I don't like anything tight like that - I blame my claustrophobia. So glad I didn't have the TEDs! Those would have driven me nuts just to wear them!
 
Post Op Days 18-19 (aka Weekend Update) I'm taking advantage of a two-fer here. My Saturday and Sunday were well spent. Chelsey arrived home for Spring Break, Dan fixed the storm door that was nearly 'dislocated' and potentially, Gone with the Wind. As he returned from Ace Hardware with the needed part, he told me it was free.. as he handed me one of two "$6 bags of popcorn". Remember my recent post on 'perspective'? That man knows my priorities... **and you have to love small town hardware stores that give out free popcorn**

It seems most everyone I talk to remarks, "You're getting better everyday?" .... Hmmm, I don't think so. I have better (or worse) days than others - but overall, from weekend to weekend, I can see vast improvement. I can actually walk without my crutch for short distances ... I get by with only one AS8HrTylenol at night and have totally skipped the afternoon dose a time or two. (OK, I say 'skipped' - 'forgot to take' is more accurate). Point is - I got by without it.

I've given up the daybed for overnight sleeping, but rather than a return to the Queen sized bed in the Master bedroom, we are sleeping in the King sized bed in the basement guest room. That extra leg room is beneficial ... though Dan still hogs the blanket (then accuses me of 'pushing' it over on his side). In the past week, I've foregone the Press 'n Seal over my incision at shower time and the little steri-strips are starting to fall off. My emotions continue to wax and wane - but you know, 'that's life'. My pain is manageable however after working at church two services yesterday (and getting groceries...) I was pretty much spent and took a three hour nap.

For anyone wondering (note, I didn't say 'who cares') I ended the TED boycott yesterday and Dan once again got them on me. I felt a little like a horse with a blacksmith putting on horseshoes...
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
While speaking of animals... I'll mention Ginger got away again
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
(slipped out while Dan was bringing in groceries) He tracked her down to Linda's backyard, no shock there. Dan has un-barricaded the deck, so who knows how that will impact the days ahead.

So another week awaits me - maybe I should set goals to attain by next weekend.... I think I'll just wait and be surprised. I'm going to enjoy Chelsey being home and adjust myself to DST. Thank You for continued prayers ... trust me, I still need them!
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
Back
Top Bottom