THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Hi @NanaMama
Wondering how you're doing two months post op?
It was your two month anniversary yesterday :yay:
Update us when you're able. We'd love to hear.
Hope your weekend is great!
 
@Layla - Thanks for touching base! No - I actually forgot yesterday was my 2 mo. Hipoversary! I'm doing well... so much better (by the week) and aside from taking stairs one at a time 'going up' - I'm almost as good as new. I was told to keep the 90 degree rule for 3 mo. so I've become a yoga star with my one and only (half moon) pose. I can pick up about anything. :) :-) (: Two weeks ago I was still using Erica to go for a walk outside (we still had snow...)

I still use the toilet riser at home and handicap bathrooms when I'm out. I manage my shoes and socks by putting my (new hip) foot on my other knee. Most of the time I do well... but 'too much' shopping or other activity can wear me down.

Friday, we are heading to Arizona for a couple weeks - I remember thinking about this trip before my surgery (while in pain and agony) and then in the weeks following... (wondering if I'd be healed up enough) - I'm so happy to be nearly 9 weeks post-op and able to do all those things that used to cause me pain in the months leading up to surgery. What a blessing it has been!

Still Ubering ... If I ever write a book... I think it'll be "Ubering with NanaMama" - Oh the stories I can tell :heehee:
 
Great update, NanaMama
I like that you are happy with your progress, and well you should be, but also honest and realistic about those few limitations and reasonable use of aides...so others can see what a smart recovery looks like in action!
Hope all continues to get better and better...life without hip pain is :yahoo:
 
Great update! @NanaMama
You're getting there slow and steady.
Moving around without that horrid pain feels so liberating it's easy to overdue and end up fatigued.
Two months post op is very early recovery when you think of the years that implant will serve you.

I agree THR is a blessing in the form of a second chance. What a wonderful feeling
to know you're able to partake in the vacation that was questionable only weeks ago.
Wishing you a wonderful two weeks in sunny Arizona. Safe travels!
 
Yo to my Hippie Friends! I'm back from my 12 days in the Southwest where the temperatures were similar to that of a debilitating fever during a bout of the flu. The time spent there was wonderful though. I golfed! WOOT! but only one Executive (short) course. I rode along with my DH and son as they played a longer course.... it was not so much my hip that made me choose not to play as much as being old, out of shape and not that great a golfer. :sad: I had so many memories of our last visit there (in September 2017) and how much pain I was in. Also, thoughts of the recovery and how I couldn't imagine in those early weeks, being "healed enough" to travel, and ENJOY the time there.... but I did.

I'm back to Ubering (where I promise a "Thrill With Every Ride" - though not always intentionally). I might add so many hours in the car is not hemmeroid friendly. Anyone with advice, I'm willing to listen... though I had recipes for bowel bombs - I have no "H-Bomb" remedies :shrug:

I still have a little problem getting comfortable on my no-op side (with pillow) and not comfortable for any length of time on the operated side. I'm sure it will come. Still doing stairs '2-feet' at a time. I'm solid on the 'downstairs' but still weak in the post op leg when it comes to climbing. Trouble getting up from the floor too. Sat Indian-style last night... :oyvey:not my best decision - but live and learn. I'm one week from the 3 mo. milestone. They said 90 degree rule for 90 days I think. Regardless, I'm loving 'no sock' weather!

Happy Mama's Day to all and if yours is still on the planet.... TAKE A PICTURE! Same goes for your kids - Selfies... timers... or give your phone to someone to snap a few shots!

[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side





 
Last edited:
Nice to hear from you @NanaMama
Sorry I don't have any advice for the "H" problem.
Isn't it wonderful to return to a place where you distinctly remember the pain you were suffering last time you visited? Such a great feeling!! Creating new memories to outshine the old painful ones.
Happy to hear you've jumped back into life.
Happy Mother's Day!
 
Hey @NanaMama I hear that there’s a procedure for hemorrhoids that they can do on an outpatient basis that involves rubber bands (they tie it off and it falls off pretty quickly). I almost had that done after one that I had thrombosed (you don’t want to go there!) but it resolved on it’s own. If you ever get to the point where you would consider that procedure, make sure it’s a doc that specializes in them.

I’m 8 week’s postop today and have the same problem sleeping on either side. I can be comfortable for about 20 minutes, then it’s like someone flipped a switch and the aching starts. Hearing that you’re having the same issue actually made me feel a little relieved. I’m a bit impatient and thought that I should be able to sleep on at least one side by now. I hope that we both crest that mountain soon!
 
I had the same problem..
And it was about 4 months out before I was able to get sleep all night comfy:shrug:
Hope it isn't that long for you two but it did finally happen.
Sleep like a rock now...still catching up:sleep:
 
Thanks @AJinNH - I had big babies (10#-11#) so have dealt with hemmeroids off and on for 40 years. The sitting in the car has aggrivated the situation, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 'serious' enough that they would "do anything". I googled 'hemmeroids' (dear mother of god) and I couldn't believe what I saw. I'm lucky to just experience discomfort. Sunday will be 3 mo. post op for me. I've been feeling pain in my new hip frequently, but I think it's from overdoing. All in all, I'm doing well and definitely happy to have had the surgery! Glad you are doing well. Hopefully we'll be sleeping better soon - just like @Mojo333 :sleep:
 
Hey @NanaMama
Just catching up here and thought I would say Hi and happy 3 months!
Also since I do have some experience with hemorrhoids thought I'd chime in too.
I had a flare up that just wouldn't resolve and although there was minimal pain,
I did experience very heavy bleeding. More often than not. It was a couple months before I could get into a
proctologist and I mistakenly thought he could do my first colonoscopy and the H
removal at the same time. Oh Noooo had to make a new appointment after the
colonoscopy since the offender was borderline external. More waiting, bleeding.
So I had the rubberband AJ above mentioned.
I wouldn't wish on an enemy! Painful, humiliating bent over position, and although they said I could
drive myself home, I shouldn"t have. Couldn't sit completely. No pain relief given.
A few days of fairly intense discomfort.
Internal I believe are a surgical day procedure.
YMMV and I do believe this MD had something to do with the rough procedure, others have
told me it isn't always easy peasy.
Start asking around about a good doc for this now, you don't want a flare up!
 
I'm pretty sure it isn't 'serious' enough that they would "do anything". I googled 'hemmeroids' (dear mother of god) and I couldn't believe what I saw. I'm lucky to just experience discomfort

:heehee:
Google...our Savior, our curse!

I'm sorry you are uncomfortable.

I didn't sleep for more tthan a few hours for close to two years pre-op, SWEAR! Then, it took till about month four...so there IS hope.

Sending good Mojo your way @NanaMama :wave:
 
Thanks @BeBe ... I've never really experienced bleeding - mostly discomfort and itching. :hairpulling:
I'm actually due for a colonoscopy... (was last November). After the THR, they said I had to wait 3 mo. before I could have it. Sounds like you have to take precautions with everything. :scare: @Mojo333 I took Z-Quil one night and slept straight through. Guess I'll save that for special occasions. :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom