THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

:spin:@NanaMama ginger sounds like a very naughty dog! You really do make me laugh!! It's a very hard recovery this but you make it sound very funny!! Have a good weekend recovering
:happydance::dancy::spin::cheers::wowspring:
 
Hey Gals... Gents too, though this doesn't apply to you. My goal for the weekend was to go to church. I'm "one crutch mobile" and DH will be with me start to finish. I've been watching YouTubes as far as how to get into the car... (haven't been since the 'backseat ride home' after surgery.) My concern/question is going potty. If I need to pee - there's no raised toilet seat. What potential is there for disaster? I've heard that most dislocations occur when the new hippie is visiting a friend and goes to the bathroom and **Bam**. (NO idea where I got this information. I'm on Info-Overload these days). Is it safe at 13 days post op to sit on a standard toilet seat? Would the handicap stall be higher? (I've used it and think perhaps it is...) Just needing some insight here. Happy Lord's Day, my friends!
 
Kudos to you for braving church so soon after your surgery. I don't know that I couldn't done that less than 2 weeks out.
In my defense, I had done an awful lot of talking to God in those two weeks!:heehee:
I think you're correct about the handicap stall. Try not to drink too much...
 
Hope you have a lovely time at church. Yes I’d use the disabled toilet if needed.
 
@NanaMama Happy Sunday! Enjoy your church visit.!

Love your stories! Ginger sounds like a great dog, naughty but still great! We have a 10yr. old little dachshund/ rat terrier mix named Cocoa. She's a handful too. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Have a wonderful day! ❤
 
Last edited:
Glad you made it to church @NanaMama. I haven’t been since February 4 and do miss it. I had been thinking of trying it today (since I was up at 4 am). However, I fell back to sleep. Will try for Wednesday Lenten service.

Since my first hip I find myself using handicap stall whenever possible. I have higher toilet at home and it just seems easier.
 
Happy Lord's Day to you too @NanaMama
I would certainly use the handicap stall in public restrooms. You're handicapped right now anyway.
I do think the seats are higher. I am used to a higher toilet seat because we have them in our home.
Using lower ones now feels scary, I'm always like "Where's the toilet....when am I going to land?!!!!"

NanaMama, look what we've become? :heehee: I watched "how to" YouTube videos also :rotfl:
Finally starting to "get a life" again. It's all part of the process but it's fun to laugh along the way.
I can't wait to read of the Church Escapades....
Hope your day is great!
 
First off, make sure you have someone in the restroom that can assist you. Secondly, can you semi squat over the lower bowl without sitting down...that is if your pre surgery aim was perfected.:heehee: . Seems to me that getting back up would be the scariest for me in a non raised commode. Then, there IS always "depends".
 
Thank You all for the kind thoughts and suggestions for my Church outing this morning. The "loading/unloading" maneuvers went flawlessly (Thank You, YouTube) and the potty stops were successful as well. The seat in the handicap stall was not quite as high (I don't believe) as the raised seat at home - and there were grab bars 'behind and beside' the toilet... super-wide stall ... like to accommodate a wheel chair. As I sat, I tried extending my right (surgery) leg out straight... only to discover this was not a tinkle friendly position, for me, at all. I gave it my best shot before the service and then once again before leaving. All went fine - the grab bars got me "back up". To you Lovelys who suggested 'the squat' - I will say I had considered it. My concern being not getting the pants down far enough or the "point aim and shoot" accurately and peeing on my jeans. :hissy: We stopped at Aldi after church before coming home. Felt like old times... using the cart as my "walker" and DH carried my crutch. Church was wonderful - I think I had an epiphany ... the message was on Suffering. Mention was made of the Apostle Paul and the "thorn in his flesh" - It suddenly occurred to me.... I wonder if he had Osteo Arthritis?!
 
Here's another "ya have to experience it to appreciate it" post.... Nana
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Op Day 10: (Friday) Another day of recovery... I am surviving on 3900 mg of time release Tylenol, which I will try to cut back on Tuesday (2 week mark). I realize 3900 mg is a high daily dose - but with the meloxicam (time release ibuprofen) and no prescription pain meds - I'm trusting God to protect my liver for the duration of the recovery. I do take gabapentin which is a 'nerve' pain med. (Who knew nerves had their own personal pain relief??)

Yesterday was what has become a typical day of recuperation with the exception of my taking a shower while "home alone". As Dan made breakfast and prepared to leave for work... I said,

"I'm going to shower this morning."
"Wait... you mean before I leave?"
"No...after."
"You think you'll be ok?" (I've showered unassisted, but never without his being within shouting distance)
"I think so... I'll have a plan."

Dan helped remove my TED (Thrombo-Embolic-Deterrent) hose ... for those of you unfamiliar, TEDs are those white faux-LulaRoe thigh high leggings surgical patients are required to wear post op, to prevent blood clots.... He then kissed me goodbye and headed to work. I was alone. (Really alone... Ginger was still at her overnight at McNeals).

I'm pretty much a planner - I survey a situation and typically develop a plan of attack. "This isn't my first rodeo (ie: shower)" I've got this. Biggest difference is there's no one standing by, should I need help. With that thought in mind, I contact a friend (lives a mile away) and tell her, "I'm going to take a shower. If you get a phone call from me - even if you can't hear me... come running. Front door will be open... don't bring your husband."

I stage the bathroom. Shower seat is in place (as it has been since I had surgery). I put on a shower cap, allowing only my bangs to be exposed - washing my entire head of hair could add risk to this project - fresh bangs will suffice. I have a clean towel hanging within reach of the shower ... and I place my crutch against the towel rack and carefully position my cell phone atop of the crutch. There - I'm set. If I need the phone, I can reach it from the shower... if I fall - I should be able to knock the crutch over, sending the phone to the floor and within my reach. If I need help up, I'll call my friend - If I dislocate my hip... I will call 9-1-1 .... attempt to cover myself with a towel ... and make immediate plans to move away from my small community (serviced by an all volunteer ambulance crew).

The shower went fine. I used the Press 'n Seal on my incision... I shampooed my bangs ... and washed my body. Observing the 90 degree rule, I took great pride in being able to wash my right leg and foot with my soapy shower puff by holding it between my toes (and no one thinks I'm athletic...) Quick rinse and I step out of the shower. I begin to towel dry (knowing my legs will need to 'air dry') and then... just as I take my first tenuous step toward the sink area.... I hear a man's voice

"The KCRG Channel 9 forecast has been updated"

Holy Buckets! .... it's Joe Winters (KCRG meteorologist) Weather App on my phone. I'm definitely startled ... but I maintain balance. The crutch, the phone, and I then make our way into the bedroom where we manage to get into a fresh nightgown. The clean bangs are styled and the rest of my hair goes into a ponytail. I take my friend off alert. I feel like I've done a day's work.

Recovery.... Baby steps... one step after another, one day after another. Thank You, friends for your prayers (comments, etc.) I'm blessed
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
 
You are much braver than I am. I would have braved the bend and squat with the possible dreaded tinkle spray on the jeans rather than taking a shower with no one in the house besides Joe the weatherman, virtually speaking.:loll:
 
Great stories @NanaMama. The first solo shower is a milestone. Glad all went well at church. You will have me wondering all night about Paul and osteoarthritis!
 
My first shower day after 2nd THR I waited until my 16 YO son woke up so that someone would hear me if I needed assistance. I thank God often that I didn't need bathing assistance or Dressing assistance with either THR - not the way I want either son to think of me!:rotfl:
 
:blackcloud:Oh @NanaMama that was the funniest story yet!! I laughed out loud with the voluntary ambulance and making plans to move! Whilst in your recovery you should write a book? Seriously you are a very talented story teller. Glad you're all nice and clean now and survived your solo shower
 
Glad you are doing well...the firsts with recovery are so humbling.
Hope your evening is peaceful.:ice:
 
How's @NanaMama today?
Hopefully writing a page....
We're waiting on our comic relief for the day :bored:
Hope your day is wonderful! :yes!:
 
I had a brief update a couple days ago (I'll post them....)

Post Op Day 11: (Saturday) A lovely day of recuperation with Dan home,
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
Ginger behaved, Facebook comments/replies. We watched some TV, took naps, and had carry out supper courtesy of a gift card I hate to disappoint any of you faithful readers - but the day was just not worthy of any lengthy update (this is good... I only report truth... and you can't make this stuff up). I can tell you however, I spent some time on YouTube, researching "getting in/out of the car after hip replacement"... because TODAY - Nana is 'Going to Church!' Woot! So tune in tomorrow ... Send a prayer on my behalf.... and have a blessed Lord's Day
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
Thank You!
 
Back
Top Bottom