Guest viewing is limited

THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Tuesday 2/27 Post Op Day 7 - I'm having a terrible time going to sleep at night. I take my two sleep tabs (Tues. night I even took two AS8HrTRTyl) but I can't get comfortable, can't fall asleep. I play Candy Crush (I'm on level 1551) listen to my audiobook, disrupt DH's rest by turning on the TV... I thrash and flail (I'd say toss and turn, but when you are pretty much captive on your back, it doesn't leave many "accurate" verbs) I firmly believe everything looks worse in the dark (except trying on swimsuits...) - The mind's voice of fear and worry is amplified and in my case, I continually think I'm screwing up my hip. Maybe it's the 90 degree rule... is there wiggle room? I know I've crossed the line a time or two - is it a 3 strikes and you're out kind of thing? Maybe more than a time or two. I want to have one of those beepers (like on road equipment that sound an alarm as they back up). It should sound when I'm nearing the danger angle - steadily increasing as I approach 90..... beep, beep 93, beep beep beep 92, beep, beep beep, 91, BEEP BEEP BEEP! "Danger Danger Will Robinson!" What if I have survived the surgery and the worst of the post-op, just to find out I've screwed myself by not living in compliance - DH forgot to put the compression cuffs on me this morning and I washed the TEDs before I got in the shower. He suggested I put them on 'wet' (they'll dry quickly, he says). I suggested he go to work. So I'm at the beckon call for blood clots as well. Doom and gloom, Doom and gloom....

The Chaplain from my "former" workplace (that kicked me to the curb 6 weeks ago today) came by yesterday for a visit and gave me a "Healing Energy Treatment". I imagined the pain leaving my body.... and healing coming in.... but I was made aware that I'm not just dealing with a physical inury here, but the emotional loss of my job (and to a degree, identity). Doom and gloom, Doom and gloom...

In other news... I graduated myself (cue Pomp and Circumstance) from the walker to a single crutch yesterday. I've been using a crutch on the stairs since surgery day.... but find I'm in pretty good shape using it as my primary means of 'travel'. It not only allows me to "walk" somewhat normally... but gives me a free hand to carry things around (ie: cup of coffee!) I'm wearing my apron (or bedjacket) and keeping my cell phone handy. If I fall, I can call for help. (If I see my leg splayed out to the side, I'll call 911, hopefully before I pass out) ... if I just need to be uprighted... I'll start down the list of able bodied people.

The Sun has been up a few hours. I'm icing my hip... Hopefully the cloud I've crawled under will lift soon and I will meet this "March Eve" with grace and courage. Thanks Hippie Peeps! Love, Nana (aka Tiny Tim - God Bless Us Everyone!)
 
@NanaMama Take a deep breath and slow that imagination down a bit. First - there are many surgeons who are no longer imposing any restrictions. I had no restrictions post RTHR but I pretty much stuck to the 90 degree restriction as my hip just didn't want to go too far too fast. Listen to your hip. I will quickly tell you if you move wrong. But please don't get hung up on all this. No, it's not three strikes!

TEDs - well plenty of us ditched the darn things immediately. Are you taking anything to thin your blood? Do you get up and move around regularly? If so, you are probably fine. I can guarantee you will break any and all restrictions if you attempt to put these on yourself - so please don't try.

Please try and focus on your recovery now. The job issue with resolve after recovery. Yes, it's not fair and really rubbish. But at least you can now focus on recovery.

Great news on transitioning to the crutch. It's so much easier to move around with one crutch!
 
Oh dear, @NanaMama You've got yourself in quite a twist, haven't you? I'm so sorry :console2:
Let's talk this through....
First take a few calming breaths, inhale s-l-o-w-ly, exhale s-l-o-w-l-y......repeat.
Guess what.....you're going to be ok! Really you are :egypdance:
My OS didn't impose any restrictions. I specifically asked about the 90 degree, nope!!
I was told to move slowly, carefully, if anything hurt....STOP! I loosely followed the 90 degree on my own
because I'm a cautious type.

Next, you can't sleep. Do you have to be up at a particular time, get ready and be somewhere? If not, relax and enjoy Candy Crush and whatever else you mentioned you're doing. Sleep will come. Take advantage of this early recovery period and nap during the day if you're feeling sleepy.

I was advised to wear the TEDS 20 out of every 24 hrs. Some people don't wear them at all. I had the cuffs also and was instructed to use them while lying down or sleeping. My OS's, PA told me at 2 weeks post op that they'd be happy if I was doing what they prescribed 1/2 the time! There you go. They have to take the lowest common denominator into effect when establishing these guidelines. The have to consider those people who only do things half a_ _. There is leeway. So don't worry. Just do your best.

Happy graduation :yay: you're doing well!

I think you need a perk, a little pampering. Try to figure out something that would feel like a "pick me up"
and make it happen. We're rooting for you. Sending some love :loveshwr: and a hug. :friends:

To brighter days :SUNsmile: :yes:
 
@NanaMama you're just a couple days ahead of me. And, we are going great! I too can have an overactive imagination and I lean to the folks here to keep me on track. Today I finally have enough mental energy to begin putting together some lists (vacation destinations, garden ideas, etc). Hang in there!
 
Hey @NanaMama it sounds like you need a hug :friends:my granddaughter Lilly gives the worlds best hugs. Lilly is 2 and she stretches her arms as far as they’ll go around you while resting her head on your shoulder and then just melts right into you. I’m sending you a Lilly hug right now. There’s no limit, you can have as many as you need. They have a lasting effect that lifts you right up. I’ve needed a few recently and can assure you that they work long distance too.
 
Aww, @AJinNH that post above just melts my heart. What a thoughtful sweetie you are!!
 
Hi @NanaMama :hi: maybe try listening to spa music from youtube....that helped me in the past when I had insomnia. Right now my percocet makes me drousy enough to sleep. Maybe OTC sleep aids would work.
 
@Bumblebee - Yes, I do take OTC sleep tabs. I've also used White Noise on YouTube... I just have trouble getting comfortable enough to fall asleep. Last night was short (I had to get up with DH) so ended up sleeping 3 hours this afternoon. This doesn't bode well for tonight's sleep :bawl: I'm thinking perhaps I should take @Layla 's advice and plan to 'stay up' (which means "stay downstairs" and watch tv/play candy crush,etc.) until I get sleepy. I'm sure Ginger would be happy to have my company down here.

@AJinNH - Thank You for that Lilly hug! Nothing better than toddler hugs and snuggles! (I have two more grands coming in May/June).

@sowotiff - glad your 'mental' energy is returning (and mental state, 'clearing') to be looking forward to Summer and full recovery!

@Layla and @Jaycey - Thank You. Breaths taken. I suppose, since I'm not taking any pain meds beyond Tylenol, I feel more 'discomfort' than I might, were I benefiting from better pain control. My hip aches, but I walk OK. It helps to read of the pains, twinges, etc. of others and be reminded "No two recoveries are alike".

@newhip126 - I've dealt with reactionary depression before (on several occasions) and by choice, take 10mg of prozac daily. My PCP says there's 'little benefit' from such a small dose, but I beg to differ. The previous 20mg sort of insulated me... the 10mg still allows me to 'feel' and 'deal' - it won't change much with post surgery blues (which I still expect will wave over me at some point). I think what I've been experiencing is more 'panic' / 'anxiousness'. (DH had been getting my meds together since surgery - feeling a little 'nutso' I told him I was feeling extra anxious/out of control (understandable post-op). Then... we realized he hadn't been putting the prozac in with my meds. :gaah: Hmm... "So who's the nutso one?"

Night All,
Nana
 
Hi @NanaMama sorry to read if your struggles. I think they sound perfectly normal for where you’re at in your recovery. I do think that you should look at your pain medication as it doesn’t sound like you’re taking enough to keep pain at bay at this early stage. I agree with all the comments the others have made about teds, bending etc. Keep elevating and icing as that will also really help with the discomfort :flwrysmile:
 
Wishing you a better day, Nana.
All temporary...I used to chant that to myself as I say alone in my recliner during the day while everyone was or in the world.
All temporary.
This too shall pass....Healing Hugs!
 
I've spent some time on the post-op site this morning reading up on some of my fellow hippie's recovery journeys. My mantra has been "no two recoveries are alike" - but heck... there aren't a lot of procedures that like any others. Between incisions - replacement material - drugs - protocols - PT - discharge - call back visits - restrictions - TED rules - "compression cuffs or no compression cuffs?" Seriously? Are we all really having the same surgery? **Rhetorical Question** - Yeah, we are... just go to show there are many ways to get from one point to another. My personal experience is:
  • Anterior (with side incision),
  • titanium,
  • hydrocodone and oxycontin, gabapentin, (I'm taking the gaba and tylenol - others made me sick.
  • I was given a 20 min. PT session 2 weeks before surgery and a short refresher after surgery (most of which we all sat quietly, waiting for me to 'come around' from nearly fainting) DIY PT from home, following the nicely laminated photos of exercises
  • My surgery day was 8 hours from my back door back to my back door. My OS said 30% of his surgeries are handled this way - (For you younger patients...) Mind you, I'm 64 and I think easily in the 90th percentile of age on the B/S forum. Judging from his waiting room, he has a fair amount of 'more mature' patients.
  • I don't go back to see the doctor until April 3 (6 weeks to the day from surgery). I did get a call from the OS nurse two days post op
  • Usual restrictions - 90 degree, no leg crossing, (They did encourage elevation, but icing 'not so much')
  • TEDs - 20 hrs a day for 6 weeks
  • Compression cuffs 24/7 except when showering or walking.
The dressing on my incision was a piece of gauze with fabric tape securing it. When I took a shower (day 2) I was to cover it with Glad press n seal - then wrap the PnS around me twice... shower, remove PnS, gauze, and reapply clean gauze. When the incision looked dry (nothing on the gauze) I was to let it air dry. There are steri-strips covering the stitches. NOTE: I thought at this point, I was to shower and let the steri's get wet, eventually falling off. Upon seeing me get out of the shower (2 days ago) DH says, "You didn't cover your incision with PnS" I said, I didn't think I was supposed to... Well, come to find out, yes... for the first two weeks you are to cover the incision/steri strips with PnS... after two weeks... you let water to it. So I've screwed THAT part of my recovery up too. I have my ladies group tonight and 2 of the 5 of us are nurses... I'll let them take a gander (they are bringing the meeting to me tonight). In other news: I slept in the living room on the day bed we had set up. DH tried to assure me I wasn't a bother to him (disrupting his sleep) but gave in and headed upstairs alone. As @Layla suggest, I watched TV, played Candy Crush... allowed myself to get sleepy (and comfortable) and I had a pretty good night. Now, as for having my little prayer group here tonight.... DH won't be home before they come, so any "spiffying up" will be on me. I mentioned to @Mireille whereas she has OCD (housecleaning) I have CCL (Couldn't Care Less). I'm sure my friends will understand!
 
Last edited:
I love your posts @NanaMama they're informative and funny. So glad that you're coming along and got to sleep after following @Layla's advice. Try not to panic about getting the steri-strips wet, if everything still looks and feels okay I'm sure you didn't screw anything up. Have fun with the lady friends tonight!
 
@NanaMama I'll say you handle things well. Attitude is half the battle in recovery. I so enjoy your posts. Keep them coming!:thumb: I wish I had CCL. I get a lot of jokes about my cleaning habits. I obsess about leaving a clean house before vacation, surgery, holidays, etc...Would make my life so much easier to have CCL :heehee:. Have a great day!
 
:happydance:@NanaMama your posts literally make me laugh so much! I know you are having a rubbish time but your humour is fantastic! You should write a column in a paper or something! I know what you mean questioning whether we have all had the same operation?? My recovery is rubbish compared to everyone else! Hope you get some sleep and look forward to your next post!
:happydance:
 
@Bevlah - You are so sweet. I actually did have a newspaper column ... and every now and then, something prompts me to write something. I know my Facebook followers are enjoying the Post Op posts. If you are an animal lover, you may enjoy this one.

WARNING: Long Post (read at your leisure, if at all)
Post Op Day 9: (Thursday) Looking back at yesterday, I think I understand why many people board their pets during joint replacement recovery. Dogs and cats require their own special attention from their humans - and joint replacement, (hip particularly) prohibit some of the required "range of motion" to do this adequately. I've read where pet owners get special equipment to allow them to feed, water, clean litter boxes... etc. so they can keep their fur family "home" during their recuperation. I'm sure their happy demeanor and warm snuggles make it all worth it. And then there is Ginger Grace.

Twelve year old "G-G" is a Lhasa Apso, a member of our family for 11 years this month. According to dogtime.com - Lhasas are very adaptable, sensitive, and intelligent dogs, kid friendly and affectionate with family. The breed doesn't score so highly in "friendly toward strangers OR other dogs". Ginger, during her first year of life was the "Love Dog" of an elderly couple. Coming into our home at a little more than a year old, she was Chelsey's dog - and favored women. Before she would turn five... she would come to share her world with my mother (who lived with us) and her 30 pound Shih Tzu, Sam. I think the influence of her first Mom... and then My Mom... created a unique personality of entitlement, independence and being spoiled rotten. But what do you do? Ginger has an attitude. She is automatically muzzled at the veterinarian's. She barks like the Tibetan watchdog she was bred to be. She hears, but doesn't always listen.... she loves treats.

So... back to yesterday. I had some company. Ginger always decides this is a good time to bark to go outside. My visitors are happy to oblige and 'hook her up' for me, on a line from the side of our house out to the backyard. (For me to do so would break the 90 degree rule of bending, so I'm unable.) Minutes later she returns, expecting (and receiving) her 'good girl treat.' My guest lets her back in, giving her said reward. When Ginger wants to go out and I'm here alone... I've let her out, keeping a close eye on her - with my phone handy to call my neighbor, should she be 'prone to wander.' The neighbor, Linda, has shooed her back home a few times, including yesterday during the daytime. Last evening, I had a small group meeting of women at the house (not our usual meeting place, but they came to me because of my surgery). Ginger was on the defense... yes, she likes women... but five at a time invoked "stranger danger," I guess, and she was a pill. No... she was a Pill (capital "P"). She barked, she wanted out, she wanted in, she wanted treats. She was disruptive and annoying. One woman and I got her into her kennel (took two... remember the 90 degree rule) which worked for maybe half an hour. She knew she was on thin ice and I announced that the group would never meet at my house again. Naughty, naughty dog. Sometime later, retiring for the night - Dan goes upstairs, leaving Ginger and me on the main level .... all is quiet until Ginger barks to go out. (She never goes out in the night....) So, I grab my crutch - shut off the security alarm... open the deck door and let her out. I see her leave the deck. I steady myself on my crutch. I see her... I call to her. She looks at me and then away. I call to her... "Kitchen..." (our term for 'get in the house') I'm ignored. I repeat these actions (standing/weaving, watching, calling... etc.) until 1.) I don't see her 2.) I'm becoming unsteady, having taken two sleep tabs before bed. I decide to go back to bed and wait for her to come to the door and bark. I doze back to sleep only to be awakened by the ringing of my phone. It's my neighbor, Linda. It's also 3:51 a.m. Well, it seems Ginger has once again, declared her independence and rather than come back to the "Kitchen" has gone to the McNeal's (who love and care for her when we are out of town) - scratching at their back door until someone let her in. She was of course invited in, loved on and put to bed. Linda called, thinking I might discover her gone and freak. Yeah... I freaked alright... I mean how many of us have dogs who invite themselves in the middle of the night, to a sleepover (with their dog friend, Buddy McNeal)?

Linda called this morning to 'bring her home' ... I answer the phone, "Is this McNeals Bed and Breakfast? I am SO sorry." We both had a laugh and Ginger appears to be more tired than usual today. I can tell you one thing - there will be no more "nighttime wandering" anytime soon. (Ginger's, nor mine, I hope). Just thought I would enlighten you today, to the impact of pets on THR recovery. As you think of me today... you might want to Pray for Ginger
[Bonesmart.org] Nana has Landed on the Other Side
<3
 
One of the benefits to only having cats! Of course, mine finds the most inconvenient/problematic places to sleep. I tried to keep her off of me with the first THR and gave up on the second. I'd wake up in my recliner and find her asleep on my lap. When she was awake, she'd stay on the good leg but (to protect it better?) she'd sleep on the bad leg! Now that I'm back in the bed, she sleeps in between my legs so that I virtually have no choice but to wake up when I want to roll over or shift position - and I'm an active sleeper. I do love her dearly, though!
 
Hi @NanaMama
What a hoot. Love the story!

I think Ginger got a little jelly and she was trying to get back at you.
She was saying "Hey, just like you, I got other peeps too. I'll just go get some Linda love, heck with you!" :heehee:

Hope you're doing well. Enjoy the weekend!
 
Back
Top Bottom