TKR My TKR 12/16/19: Easier Than I Thought - THEN AGAIN!

I'm home, in bed FINALLY with my wrapped-velcro ice sleeve! An apparatus I'd not used in a bit. Not too much pain, but just a tad red. Knee not as red as two weeks ago from less effort, so I must be getting stronger. I almost did not want to ice on such a cold winter night (27 degrees here). But I figured I would to make sure I am all ready for tomorrow. I only took a couple of Tylenol capsules over the long day which included one too many errands after work.

At points I relied on cane, 65% of the time I didn't. Doggone shoe hurt due to too long toe nail. Fixed that. Looser gyms shoes had not revealed pedicure issues. All good now! It is threatening a snow storm. SO ugly 'stompin' snow boots may be tomorrows fashion statement...:egypdance:

Energy level still fluctuating -- so glad I had leftovers for a fast re-heat dinner!!
 
Last edited:
Good luck today! Rest, rest, rest when you can.

Gosh, I hope you don’t get as much snow as we’ve gotten rain in the last day. Crazy, crazy weather!
 
Well I successfully completed my first work week! It went well! At points I forgot about my TKR walking about without cane. The other times I quickly remembered to sit down fast -- move carefully and USE my cane...:nah:... Especially on the long hall walks associated with my work-place/ activities.

Thankfully, I am on one floor as steps remain pretty bad and touch and go for me.

At 55+ days post TKR I use my cane about 40% of the time at work -- and always if I am out on our snow and ice. I will not risk falling outside. I don't use a cane in the home now. I returned to work with cane, with it clearly understood that I'd use it as needed.

I was pretty tired when I got home each work day. I'd planned fast heat up meals or picked up a takeaway. My sleep was better as the increased activities are forcing my body out of insomnia mode!

Without any guilt whatsoever, as needed, I used my four-wheeler to roll-about in the house from the long days of extra activities. Especially when I first arrived home where exhaustion was peak. The next half hour or so using nothing at all about the house.

I basically let my body tell me what to do. I had to ice one evening once home, but too not long.

I took some regular strength Tylenol as needed when pain and stiffness happened, especially later in week. I attribute the stiffness to the very cold temps here. So here goes week two coming up....:egypdance:!
 
Last edited:
There were severe snow storm threats, but here in SE Michigan we don't get as much as up north and certainly not the weather of our upper peninsula. Still Wednesday was met with cleaning snow off car/ defrosting, snow on the road, and that like. Thankfully, I had help with cleaning off my car. All of this winter fun slows you down.

And I am still moving slower than before TKR, so I have get up earlier to get to work on time! :happydance:

I hope you don’t get as much snow as we’ve gotten rain in the last day
 
Climate very my much determines our degree of healing I'm sure I would still be using a cane/crutches or zimmer if I was living in a snow/ice climate fortunately here in the South of Portugal such conditions are unheard of and I complain of feeling cold at 19 degrees lol however Sunny days lift the spirit and there is no fear of falling or slipping on ice or snow- so I salute you all dealing with those conditions x
 
I try to tell people this re. our climate. You get it. Thank you! :hugzz: Having lived here all my life I've learned to adapt even to the level of changing out my shampoo/ conditioner/ lotions/ potions etc. annually to reflect the long winters. Additionally, we get alot of lake-affect wind!

We get to 19 and below that at Fahrenheit level! Not Celsius!

The dry air breathed either from the low-humidity or forced air furnace heat can impact overall health for some. I use eucalyptus oils/ spray and a humidifier to help condition air in my home.

Additionally, as my skin is dries more out topically in winter, so for sure there's been some slowing on internal my joint healing - here and there. I take alot of vitamin D., lots of tea, water, and at least we've had alot of sun lately to brighten ones mode. Woo-hoo on that!

Initially I was advised by friends/ family not to have surgery during cold winter, but I had to go forward per timing/ scheduling requirements.

I've kept my house extra warm in response to my winter-side TKR surgery. I wrapped up well when outside. That helped reduce the weathers impact on my recovery. Only last week did I start fo feel stiffness that I could only attribute extra low temps.
 
Last edited:
I applaud all who have to deal with the cold during this recovery. We only had a few cold (and by cold I mean low 40’s) days and my knee was so stiff on those days. Not to mention walking on the ice! I appreciate the warm climate more than ever during this recovery!
 
I had my right TKR surgery on January 21, 2020, and your experience is remarkably similar to mine. In many ways my recovery has been easier than I expected, but in some ways harder. I still am having trouble sleeping, and I do have that “clunking” which is disconcerting when it happens, but it seems to be happening less and less. My knee is still very stiff and painful at times. I start outside PT tomorrow, and I am a bit apprehensive. My home physical therapist was gentle and affirming, and she was in all ways a pleasure to work with. I hope my outside PT will be similar. If he attempts painful exercises I will speak up.
Great hearing about your journey! Keep up the good work. I’ll try to as well!
 
Please keep us posted. As you'll read from the bonesmart staff and fellow TKR travelers it's imperative that you speak up as needed and don't over do it.

It's your knee - your individual plan of recovery. The main takeaway, learned early (and intuitively known) was that recovery is long, while at the same time you get better incrementally.

Also, I learned not to believe the short 'window' of ROM that some doctors and PT's hold fast too.

My own fantastic surgeon, ALSO believes in the eight-week window of ROM progress. I don't. I did not debate it with him. But ROM in most cases can improve over many months, even past a year.

And if you do need a MUA that can help as well. There are many options.

My PT has been good. She was open to my refusal re. some techniques (such as laying on stomach while pulling back leg w/ strap) as I have some former back issues. When one thing was too much she had me switch to something else, or to try it later.

I did/ do like that she pushed me in some - where I did NOT want to go. I needed the push sometimes!
 
Last edited:
I too have the 'clunking' a bit. Seems more pronounced on softer surfaces than hard. Then sometimes I don't notice it at all....
 
7000+ clocked on my Fitbit entering eight week post TKR. Woo-hoo!! Nothing too heroic, just the Activities of Daily Living (ADL) which include my second week of work.

Worked half day actually. Morning was spent in PT where my measurements are now 116 Flexion/ 6 Extension. As usual I peddled with the bike seat lowered a notch. We worked hard on my extension and I was pretty sore afterwards, but able to go to work though I sat as much as possible.

I have two remaining PT sessions with a final eval on the last 12th session. After attending an afterwork seminar that went late after work my total out of the house was nearly 12 hours!!
The longest i've been out post TKR. I was tired, yet sleeplessness reared its ugly head again... :tiredwheel: Perhaps as a result of the extra activities.

I at least stayed in bed... sigh. Looking forward to getting into bed early today with a relaxing tea to slay this dragon of insomnia. It's been a problem before, but had gotten better.
 
Last edited:
I just have to say, ADLs are heroic in and of themselves, as far as I’m concerned. Not to mention the fact, though I will, that you had a long, challenging day, for which you are building a plan for recovery. What’s not heroic about that?

Sometimes, I think we forget the heroism of just living, kindly toward others and ourselves while we navigate rough waters. You’re doing that so well!
 
. We worked hard on my extension and I was pretty sore afterwards,
I suggest you stop “working hard” on your extension, that is not the way to regain it. Extension can take a long time because the big muscles and tendons behind the knee need lots of time and gentle treatment to recover from the surgery. It will come along naturally as you walk through your daily activities. PTs want us to regain all our ROM right now but our body doesn’t work that way. ROM will continue to improve way past the first year. Mine did.
 
You're right Jockette! I know... hard-headed me...:snork:... I was doing these elastic bands wrap about ankles, with side-to-side motion. That really wore me out, but I sorta liked doing them for my balance.

But not overdoing it as I was beyond even what the PT asked. I have a tendency for that!
 
Last edited:
Hitting the hay early tonight. Cannot do another four hour sleep and trying to work:spin:too!

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it!
 
Bonesmart does not recommend bands:
 
I read thru that link Jockette. Good detailing on stuff to avoid. Yep, the ankle bands DID not feel right.

I'm hardly the demure type and will let my PT know I will not be doing them any more.
 
LD of Michigan I’ve just read your first post about your TKR journey, and it was so interesting, thank you. All the posts and advice afterwards helpful too.
i think I’m sleeping better this time than last time, perhaps as I’m more consistent with the meds and with the ice on going to bed. Have a lovely husband who helps with this, and with more ice and a weetabix to go with tablets in the morning. Woke about 5.15 this morning, with a little pain. Not as good as after 6.00 yesterday but better than at 3.00 or 4.00 am. Looking forward to an outing today, but know I will be very tired afterwards.
i was in hospital 5 nights! That’s french health care for you. It was my choice and I don’t regret it. One before the op (their decision) and 4 after (my decision, partly so I could see the hospital Kine (physio) on the Monday morning before leaving.
 
I preferred staying in the hospital two days. Thankfully my insurance covered that. Would have like a third. I was NOT the same-day candidate. Not interested - wanted to insure my vitals were consistent before release. And, knowing myself I knew soon as I got home I'd start over doing it. LOL!

Those 'weetabix' sound like a good option for sleep. Hah! Never heard of them here in the US. I did better last night only from getting into bed early but up now at 5 AM:nah:! My pain is very little this am from finally resting after that 12 hour Tuesday. Used some ice but not needing ice on the job.

I am looking forward to warm weather for my knee. Winter is such a drag for surgery but you adapt.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom