TKR My TKR 12/16/19: Easier Than I Thought - THEN AGAIN!

Amazing what a difference a good night of sleep will make! :loveshwr:

I'm wondering if I should continue to go my local gym (a national chain)! I am at week 14 post TKR and had just got back into my gym. My gym work includes time on a recumbent bike, light upper and lower body weight machines and some dedicated leg work. I went last week donned of nitrile clear gloves, wiping down extra as is the policy of this franchise. Lysoling the clothes I wore.

Now with my state on semi-lock down perhaps I should give it up. I'm over 55 so thinking the risk may too high even though my gym remains open (as of today). Any thoughts? Ideas? Are others still going to public gyms? Pools? I am considering purchasing a recumbent bike for home, I have free weights etc. Any recumbent brand suggestions? Thank you.

I personally would advise against going to a gym for the time being you just dont know whom has used the equipment before you, I use a mini peddler at home and try and take plenty of walks in the fresh air it does help that we are having a very warm winter today it's sunny in the mid 60 degrees here in the South of Portugal.
Although I live close to the beach I haven't attempted to lie on it as I haven't got a clue how I would get up :rotfl:

That's right! I thinking this would be my last per the risk to everyone. They were packed last week -- today there were less than 20 people and the counter person said they were closing at 3:00 PM.

State governor made the call that all gyms, and pools and the like must close until further notice. Now depending on who you listen to the gathering number is down to 50 or was it 10? Gyms are notorious for germs pre. COVID. So....

...I've found I can somewhat replicate peddling laying on my back on my floor, peddling the air. And swinging my legs vigorously sitting in my four-wheeler.

Amazingly I can get up from a the floor in my home, using my unoperated knee and a chair etc. but a sandy beech? Forget about it.

Although I live close to the beach I haven't attempted to lie on it as I haven't got a clue how I would get up :rotfl:
Amazingly I can get up from a the floor in my home, using my unoperated knee and a chair etc. but a sandy beech? Forget about it.

ironically enough, standing up from a low-setting beach chair is one of my 'goals'... forget about lying on sand and getting my booty up from that position, that ain't going to happen any time soon, but yeah, you two are funny.

LD of Michigan, I’ve just noticed that you have a ‘Zimmer’ joint. Mine is too!
i had my op in the winter partly as there’s less going on socially here in rural France then, and also I didn’t want to wear those stockings during the hot weather!

Thanks for your updates, they are encouraging to me. I’m going through a cycle of feeling like I’m doing great and then having a setback and then getting frustrated. I have the same mechanical clunking that you have. It’s been 8 1/2 weeks and I became concerned that I have a spacer problem or something and call the doctors office for an appointment. The doctor called me back directly yesterday and said they are closing the office due to the virus but he talked to me for a bit and he said it didn’t sound quite right but it’s still early, and when they reopen I can get an appointment. I’m not sure what to make of it. I am sure it is too early still and all of that stuff everybody tells me but it doesn’t feel right with the caulking so it’s encouraging to me to hear that you are getting past it, having had your surgery 6 weeks earlier.

Just five weeks ahead of you :hugzz: ! I am noticing my clunking less. Perhaps it's occurring less, and/ or I've gotten use to it on certain surfaces as I walk. I create a slight clunk by certain swings of my leg off the floor which is a bit weird but my surgeon showed me the demo in his office sitting as TKR-normal - a slight clunking. He explained it as the mechanics of it ala patella sliding into place, etc.

Any variance(s) can make us worry, naturally. We went thru a lot to get to where we are. My incision area still feels sore. The numb spot getting smaller though. I am noticing pain now less in the knee and more along my lower leg when I over do it. So the implant itself must be healing more and more.

Found what you just said happened to me when I walked round the block today. A slight clunking noise, difficult to identify exactly where from.
So your explanation was very comforting, thank you.
Both knees have numb spots, the older one may have reduced a little, but only a little.

Hello fellow travelers...:egypdance:... I am about 15 weeks post TKR and working from home now. I'm doing my home exercises the best I can, but not getting my cardio up as I'd like. Working on that.

I'm looking at purchasing one of those foot peddle floor units to help me maintain my knee ROM and leg strength. Can anyone recommend a brand? Are any of them useful or just a waste of time/ money?

I've seen the Cubii Pro Smart Compact Elliptical, but it reviews poorly and is costly. I may end up just getting one of those simple metal peddlers. Wish I still had my recumbent bike I once had ...:sad:... any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

It’s been 8 1/2 weeks and I became concerned that I have a spacer problem or something
@loanshark64 this is my third knee first one 2 yeas ago this one 3 weeks ago wed. Both click. I had my surgeon (different surgeon) check my two year old knee before he did this one and said it was good and the clicking is not a problem. It made me feel a lot better with this new one that I was expecting it To click.. so be encourage. Hopefully you’ll get in eventually but I think your probably ok.

My husband has an iDeer we purchased from Amazon about a year ago. He likes it and uses it almost daily. At the time it was less than half the cost of a Cubii.
Pain free clunking clicking etc is normal, it usually goes away as you get stronger.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

On recommendation of my PT at 3 months I bought a mini peddler at 1st it was great I was enthusiastic and used it every day for 10-15 minutes for about 2 months - I'm now 5.5 months and can honestly say I kinda hardly use it , it's gathering dust ...fortunately it wasn't expensive and I may in the future use it again so unless you are extremely disciplined think twice xxx

Yeah I am only considering it because I can no longer peddle full-out as I was at the gym last month.

Sigh... I do some laying on my back 'air' peddling and other stuff I found on youtube to keep busy in the house, yet not pounding my knees. Up and down the steps a few times. Anything so as to keep moving:happydance:...

Thank yah. It's reviewing better than the Cubii so far:ok: !
Hi, @LD of Michigan! I was wondering if you've gone ahead and purchased an iDeer? I'm thinking about a Cubii or something similar now too. I'm working from home and feel like I'm stiffening up from all the sitting at my desk. I never heard of iDeer (from @Pumpkln's post that her husband uses it) but am reading about it at Amazon now.

I've not purchased anything so far but the 'stay home' orders are getting me pretty stiff. I've fallen off doing much of anything. Perhaps a bit depressed, but continuing on. Have lost weight! Eating smarter. Less snacks than I'd normally do...:hugzz:...

A friend of mine posted this yesterday and it really captured what many are feeling during these weird times. She said she was continually exhausted and unmotivated.
Isolation.jpg

We'll get through this! Hang in there - the ride is just a bit more bumpy these days.

@LD of Michigan, I empathize with the ache or pain in your lower leg now versus your knee area. I'm having the same thing. I also want the numbness to be gone -- mine's not just across the knee, but down the outside of my calf too. And the incision area is still so sensitive. A number of people in this thread mention similar issues; it makes you wonder if the new knee(s) (and their legs!) will ever feel "normal." Someone said somewhere else (@Summer2020 maybe?) that her surgeon said that the numbness caused by cutting the nerves would be permanent. I hope that's not true.

You asked for recumbent bike recommendations. I have a Schwinn recumbent bike that I like very much; but it's more than 10 years old, so there's probably no point in giving you the specific model information. I'm still thinking of a mini-cycler of some type because my theory is that I could be cycling while working at my desk all day. You're used to going to the gym; do you feel that your knee is stiffening up now that you're home all the time?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back