TKR My TKR 12/16/19: Easier Than I Thought - THEN AGAIN!

When do you go back to work?
 
First week of February (going into week eight TKR) I am thinking. Paced as I go I am thinking.

My particular kind of work can be modified for cane and less standing short-term.

The length of the day concerns me. That will be an adaptation! And all the details associated with working (dressing/ hair/ makeup/ transpo). Whew!

I will PM you details....
 
Last edited:
It sounds like you have a good plan!
 
It’s hard for me to go back for only part of the day, some days, so I have whole days set aside for nothing but recovery. Maybe this can help you, too?
 
If your desk is high enough maybe a good idea to get a mini peddler that way you can exercise your knee whilst working.
I try to use mine for 30 minutes during the day - I have now put it in a location where I see it all the time so I don't forget haha.:biking:
 
If your desk is high enough maybe a good idea to get a mini peddler that way you can exercise your knee whilst working.
If you have a desk job, it's a good idea to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour or so. You'll get very stiff if you don't.

Another good idea is to try and elevate your leg in any way you can. Spending most of your time sitting at a desk with your foot on the floor is going to make your leg swell a lot.
 
Sometimes, I actually offer to get things off of the copier for other people or get them coffee, just so I get up a little more often.
 
Hola fellow joint replacement travelers! Here's for an update: Almost 1.5 months post TKR. I had an active Saturday that included driving, standing, speaking from a lectern and some walking about passing out materials. I was able to do 50% of the standing and walking about, as needed, without cane -- long walking with cane. Later I drove to a restaurant and convenience store getting in and out of car w/o cane as I could. Ramped up 5000+ steps per my Fitbit. Whew...

The one thing I noticed most once home was that knee was a bit warmer and quite red right over knee joint. I iced immediately. Redness gone now this am -- no swelling noted per se. Feel fine. Is the redness a normal response to increased activity such as this? Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Is the redness a normal response to increased activity such as this? Thank you.
Yes, probably it is. Increased warmth and heightened colour show that your knee was a bit stressed by the day's activity.
Rest, ice and elevation are the right things to do when you come home from work.
 
How's about that! Last night it was in the 'mood' to itch from the INSIDE OUT!

Pretty creepy feeling, as it was itching in the numb area on the outer side.

So scratching brought no relief :bored:. I finally just rubbed with some light nondescript lotion (fancy stuff make my wound hurt still).Then I fell off to sleep thank goodness! :sleep:...
My nights are much improved from the hamster run insomnia... early on! Whew! :tiredwheel:
 
Oh, I had forgotten about that terrible inside itch! I bout drove me batty for a few weeks. I would firmly rub the spot and it seemed to help. Maybe it was psychological, but who cares as long as it worked!
 
Duly noted... :thud: it seems to be part of the healing for me. Rubbing too hard hurts but it went away last night allow a poor gal some undisturbed sleep! Whew!!
 
Update folks: Up early and willing (I think)?! Resuming work full-time today! Day 50 (7.5 weeks) post RTKR. Feels great to be free of the pre TKR bone-on-bone joint pain, though some surgical pain remains here and there, less and less. Returning to work w/ partial use of cane as needed. I've become more active the last few weeks using cane less. Still needed on steps.

As I see it (and my OS concurs) I feel very comfortable/ able to return to as part of my ADL (Activities of Daily Life). Thankfully my job site doesn't have steps but some standing and walking in a lab/ teaching setting. I've several stools ready to minimize standing. Packing my ice just in case and will use over my lunch break proactively. My ROM is 114 or so Flex. 7 Extension.

I'm thinking I'll be hopping or falling (smile) into bed :hugzz: as soon as I get home today! Will report...
 
Last edited:
Yay for you! Sounds like you’ve planned it well. Rest after work will be key. I hope you enjoy it!
 
Can't you go in my place Heli? I feel chicken already. For sure I am moving a bit slower. I did a practice run of putting on makeup yesterday -- took forever! :curtsey: And I don't over do it!

So glad to here you are doing so well post MUA. My extension etc. is getting better -- I have four more PT sessions to go. I am up to peddling full-range 30 minutes. But getting in and out of car is tiresome. Thank you for all of your well wishes of support :) :-) (: !
 
But getting in and out of car is tiresome.
It took me months to get in and out of the car comfortably. And for some reason, it was easier on the passenger side. I guess the steering wheel was an interference.
 
By now, you’ve had that first day, done and in the books. Time to rest, rest, rest. And let us know how it went.
 
Hope your first day at work went well :-) Let us all know how you got on and how your knee is reacting tonight.
Hopefully you are icing whilst reading this :ice:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom