Guest viewing is limited

THR My thigh muscle is too weak

@Grammy57 - the mobility will take time. For me, I had limited my activities because of the psoas pain so everything was tight. As I got more active after surgery, the comfort and ability to stretch and flex continued to improve. That side is still tighter than the other but is much more normal for me now. Keep at it and it will get better.
 
@SaraK Thank you. My therapist said my new hip made my leg slightly longer. I wonder if the release did it. I'm feeling better today but know what you mean about being tight.
 
Well, the pain is back. It is not deep in the groin, now, more to the outside. Between the pelvic bone and the ileac crest and extending into the lateral glutes. Not sure what to do. Hoping this is a normal part of healing.
 
Good Morning @Grammy57
Rather than wonder and worry, please consider contacting your surgeons office for reassurance or advice if the discomfort doesn’t ease with rest, ice and any meds you were prescribed. I’m sorry you’re dealing with pain. I wish you comfort and hope it passes. :console2:
 
Hey, @Grammy57 - any better yet? Hopefully it's just muscles that haven't had to work lately being a little grumbly about having to work again!
 
@SaraK I hope that's what is going on. I have been going up and down stairs more. The really odd thing is it hurts worse at night. I'm trying to be patient. Someone suggested it might be my back. I do know I have slight stenosis in the lumbar spine and also in the cervical spine. Ugh, this arthritis is just too much.
Enjoy your 4th of July weekend.
 
If you do more than your baby hip is happy with it’s always at night when your hip strikes back, it never seems to hurt when you are doing it, only afterwards. It would be a whole lot easier if your hip would just give you a hint that you are doing too much, but that’s just not the way this recovery works.
 
@FCBayern To make sure I understand, when my hip is hurting at night it is because I've over-done in the day? If so, that makes sense as I did little yesterday and my hip wasn't too bad at night. I also notice it's partly the way my leg is as some positions hurt more than others.
 
@Grammy57 most of the time pain at night is a symptom of too much activity during the day. Not always, but I would say usually. Try paying attention to how much you do during the day, and how your hip feels that night. I personally found them very tightly linked.
 
@FCBayern thank you. I think you are right. I have been a lot more active getting ready for our son and family to come for a visit and then all the extra activities summer brings.
 
I agree with @FCBayern - the reason we join the ODIC (Overdid It Club) is that you don't know you're doing it at the time. It is sometimes hard to find the right balance. At night, you may also be stretching the psoas more depending on your sleep position and how much you move at night.
 
Hello @Grammy57
We haven’t heard from you in awhile and it’s the four month anniversary of your psoas release procedure. I hope you’re doing well and enjoyed your son and family’s visit. Please leave an update as time allows. We’d love to hear how you’re progressing.
Hope to hear from you soon! :)
 
Hello, I'm sorry I've been so absent. This summer has been crazy busy. I had PT for the psoas release, I had PT for my arthritic thumb surgery. My grandson graduated high school and I did a LOT of cooking for his party, which went very well. My son and his family came home for the celebration and my brother-in-law left for his home (FL) this morning. I'd say I can now catch my breath but I have a Dr appointment tomorrow to review my MRI of the cervical spine. The pain Dr and surgeon I am seeing tomorrow both say I may need surgery.
But, on the positive side, my hip is a LOT better if not quite as strong as before, my hands/thumbs are doing well also. I totally appreciate all you've done for me and will continue to be a part of this community. Hopefully, life will slow down soon. And, as a side note, my year old water heater had to be replaced, my washing machine has been replaced, and my drier has been repaired, all in a 2 week time period that ended today.
 
OMG! I will stop thinking I am busy listening to all you've been doing!

I would expect that your hip will continue to strengthen. Mine has over time, but it's still not like the other hip (which also had THR). I've recently started having back pain when I walk more than a mile or 2. It may be related to the psoas as it inserts into the back - the same psoas I had to have surgery on before. I'm currently using the One Step program and it's helping me to relieve that pain. Keep in mind that BoneSmart can help serve as a reference as the little niggles and issues develop from time to time.
 
@SaraK I have been happy with my hip lately. I get small issues of pain, but nothing like before. My brother-in-law saw how bad my pain was this past February and how good I'm doing now. Walking is the easiest though I do bike some and push just a little further each trip. I'm up to about 2 miles round trip on a bike and have walked about 5 miles at a time this past week with the visit from BIL. :) So thankful I'm seeing progress. I still have to help lift my leg at times but also learned how to dress or get into/out of the car without help but not really as before, but it works so that's what matters, right:)?
I hope you get relief from your new pain. How frustrating. I do understand as my new pain is my neck/back.
 
Wow! You‘ve been busy. It’s wonderful to read your hip is doing well. I’m sorry you’re now dealing with neck and back pain. I wish you all the best with your appointment today. I hope they have an alternate plan to help ease your pain aside from surgery. Please stay in touch, we’re here for you…and thanks for the update. :)
@Grammy57
 
@Layla I am not sure what this surgeon will say. After reviewing my MRI he said I was probably a candidate for surgery. I went through 2 steroid injections that did not work. I'm not sure if he'll order PT or not. My daughter used this surgeon after her auto accident almost a year ago. He replaced one disk but had to fuse the second. I'll be in touch.
 
Well, I saw the surgeon and he says I have mild/beginnings of myelopathy. He recommends surgery and is going to see if my insurance will approve a disk replacement as opposed to disk fusion.
 
Its good to have an answer, but I’m sorry you will need surgery. You could use a break @Grammy57 . I hope you have a peaceful weekend without pain.
Happy Friday!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom