My surgeon is planning to do a hip and knee replacement at once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well by this time, in just 2 weeks, I will have woken up from a long nap to a new knee and new hip! Crazy.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My surgeon is planning to do a hip and knee replacement at once
IS WHAT YOU ARE!! And no, not crazy---just WONDERFUL is what it will be! So looking forward to taking this journey with you.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] My surgeon is planning to do a hip and knee replacement at once
 
I can't promise the posts right after surgery will make sense but I am a recovery room text addict!!! Should be funny. And so thankful to have yall here to encourage as I am sure I will get nervous as it continues to get closer!
 
Well you are my special 'patient' for 2013 so you better get back and post here pretty darned soon! I want to know every detail!
 
We are flying down tonight for a consult with both doctors tomorrow. Hopefully I will have lots of my questions answered by this time tomorrow and will let yall know what they say!!! Then it's back home for a week off of work before going back to Florida for surgey June 4th.
 
Ok - quick question. Any info on Biomet hip and knees? He said something about Stryker hip also but wasn't that recalled?
 
From what I read, I think it is only 2 models of Stryker hips that were recalled not all of the ones they make.

The two that were recalled are the Rejuvenate Modular and the ABG II
 
The models of Stryker hips that were recalled are no longer in use, so that's not a problem. The other models of Stryker hips are fine. Biomet is good too. It's a reasonable to ask him which implants he plans to use and why, since these implants are going to be part of your body.
 
Wow Rebbecca , you have quite a story! First , being little late to the party, I want say welcome to Bonesmart, As you are already seen, this is a wonderful forum, the best you will ever find.
The support is incredible.
I think like everyone, I am very fascinated with your story, and like the others have said, we can learn a lot from you.
I am very eager to read to read your recovery thread.
I have been through some life changing events lately, so have been kinda off for a while.
But I miss my bonesmartie family, and am gonna try to get back in the swing of things.
Do you mind if I ask, what is it that you do for work?
I do apologize if you have already stated that, and i missed it.
I am not too far from you, living in North Georgia.
So I am guessing you got another week or less to go now?
I too like Jamie posted would like to see some of the x-ray films( sorry not trying to make you feel like you are under a microscope so to say).
Well again being a little late, just wanted to say hi, and welcome to the bonesmartie family.
Prayers and strong thoughts of well wishes go out to you in the upcoming day, weeks, months to come. :flwrysmile:
 
Hey Sheryl!!! Thanks for the welcome!

Lets see - work wise I teach high school photography. I love my job and my kids and our administration!! It leaves me time for surgeries over summers and holidays. So that's why we are doing surgery now. We are a week out as of today.

I woke up to a text this morning from one of my doctor's PAs that they want a 3d ct and MRI before they determined if we are doing 1 surgery or 2. So that's something we will do hopefully tomorrow and make that decision before day of!!!!!

I apparently have a whole power point of my X-rays at my doctors so I will gladly get yall some to see!!! Not a problem!!
 
Awesome, we have so many teachers on this forum.
That is great. I applaud all your teachers for taking good care of our children.
Teaching photography sound like it would be very enjoying, as much as it would be to learn as well.
You got a good set up with the surgeries during the summer, for recovery time.
You are so very blessed to have had a wonderful support system, it seems since almost birth, most of your Drs. and therapists have been with you so long.
I admire your go get it attitude.
Please do keep us posted as what you learn today, as to which surgery y'all( been in the south almost 20 years now LOL), decide to go with.
Also just wanted to thank the all the mods Jamie , Josephine, @ Bottomshollow and so many others to numerous to name, and members who keep sticking around to help all of the new a fresh people who visit or happen upon this forum. For those who have long healed and are enjoying new knees and hips, but stick around to guide others on this long and often tiresome journey.
I am hoping sooner than later to have my own thread changed to BTKR coming up!!
Well Rebbecca, i wish you luck, and hope you get all out of what life has to offer, sounds like you already are, and well on your way to being a huge inspiration to others...take care..Sheryl :flwrysmile:
 
Hey everyone! So --- wow it's been awhile and a lot has happened. I had my hip done June 4th and knee July 3rd. I was doing awesome --- walking on 1 crutch, pain free by august until my knee got infected. My hip ended up infected as well so we have done about 10 clean outs, removal of all joints, Iv antibiotics, wound care ................. And so on. Well my ID dr has now cleared me, and we were set to do the hip over in May. We fused the knee since the muscles would not be able to support a tkr after the infection. Now the surgeon wants to do a Pelvic Support Osteotomy and not a THR. However I am totally against this. So now I am looking for good THR surgeons. Any suggestions??????
 
@Jamie may be able to help you with revisionists in the US.
A place to start is Dr Maale in Texas. @RestAssured
You have been through a lot, I am glad you are now infection free, and can move forward when you find the right surgeon.
Be sure to keep us informed about your progress, there is always someone here for you.
 
I actually went through 2 infections - 1 bacterial and a fungal. It has been a lot! But I've also found how strong I truly am. And with that - not ready to give up yet which I feel an osteotomy would be!!!! Thanks for the surgeon name to start with!
 
@Rebeccahpffd ,
I read your long post in Vetgirl's thread, you may want to cut and paste your post here, so your situation can be better addressed in your own thread.
You have been through a lot, and are wise to seek out a revisionist well schooled in infections. You are too young to settle for the option you have been given. Dr Maale is in the greater Dallas area.
What area of the US are you in so bonesmarties can better help you with finding a revisionist?
You can also search in the find a clinic link, check out the OS's in your area, look for revisionits, joint reconstruction specialists, etc to find a physician specializing in revisions. Look for how many revisions they are doing in a year, the more the better. You can also call the office and ask the staff how many revisions they are doing.
Take care,
 
@Pumpkln I am located birmingham, Alabama. But really can and will travel anywhere in the us for the right dr. My current surgeons are in Fl so it doesn't really matter! I've heard Dr Maale several times and also of a dr in Atlanta from everyone here and think I will try to call them tomorrow! I'm sure a complicated case that I don't know who will try it!!!
 
Dr. Maale only takes complicated cases, and I remember reading somewhere that he travels to Florida. Call his office in the morning they will know. He is your best bet from what you have told us.
Let us know what you find out.
 
Calling him first thing tomorrow!!! I will let yall know what they say! Thanks again!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom