My surgeon is planning to do a hip and knee replacement at once

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were me and I could go anywhere in the US I would see Dr Maale. If you can find RestAssured's thread and read through it. A phenomenal journey she has had. Good luck and keep us posted!
 
Thanks @Jozilla -- I am going to call him first thing tomorrow and see what he says!!
 
Be sure to ask them what records they need from your present OS, can take awhile to gather everything.
Looking forward to hearing what his office has to say.
 
@Rebeccahpffd

Hello! I am sorry that I have missed your posts! Thanks @Pumpkln for getting my attention!:ok:

OK, let's start with your previous infections. Dr. Maale has a special operating room that he designed himself that is pressurized to just the right level so that no "bad beasties" can survive! I won't kid you though; the fungal is harder to deal with than bacterial. Dr. Maale works with people who have had both! The OS who fused your knee; was he a revisionist? I am shocked that he would do that to such a young person! Please get in touch with Dr. Maale! Tell them Sonja sent you to get your life back! If you would like my last name I will have it and my cell phone number in a private message. I will help you all I can!:happydance:
 
I have called and they said the PA will call me back for a consult today or tomorrow!
 
Well they are promt! We are going to see him over my spring break since I can't take off anymore time at work from all of the infection stuff earlier in the year!! So March 24th we will see my current surgeon in Fl then Dr Maale the 24th!!
 
Wonderful news!
Both in the same day?
Will be interested in what Dr Maale has to say. Wishing you all the best for some answers to your challenges!
 
Meant see Dr Maale the 25th! He's asked we stay a few days for testing so we will. I am very excited to see what can be done!!
 
Hopefully a bit of light at the end of your tunnel. Look forward to hearing your report
 
So glad you will be seen so soon! Sonja has done miraculously well with him! I hope you find the same.
 
This is wonderful news!:happydance: I hope you told them I said "hello!" :heehee: Dr. Maale is an amazing surgeon and I will tell you that he speaks in "doctor speak" so if you don't understand something ask him to explain in plain English!:rotfl:
 
I have been beyond blessed to be with my PT since I was 3 weeks old - she is like my other mother. So she will be going with me to see him to help if he gets too complicated!!!!!! But I've been around this stuff my whole life so I am pretty good with it all.

I was AMAZED to have the pa tell me that once they get me medically cleared - they can schedule and do surgery usually within 2 weeks. I'm used to waiting 6 months for an OR time!
 
I was AMAZED to have the pa tell me that once they get me medically cleared - they can schedule and do surgery usually within 2 weeks. I'm used to waiting 6 months for an OR time!
WOW!!! I wish it could be more like that---many of us have waited six months or more---my wait was about nine months.

Getting in done in two weeks is awesome---sort of like a "One Stop Lube Stop" Go in for a diagnosis, get the MRI, and then go down the hall---get it done all at the same time! That is the way it should be done---waiting months and months is tough!
 
@referee54 -- I know! I am STILL in shock!! I teach high school so I really wanted to have surgery done at the start of summer so I have enough recovery time. So I had asked to make sure that would be possible. They are letting me fly in for a consult and testing over my Spring Break then if I get totally medically cleared, he said a week to two weeks for surgery to be scheduled. I will have to wait till summer but SO relieved to know this is a possibility that quickly!!!! I am much more used to the 6 month wait!
 
Ok yall - I leave home tomorrow to fly to see Dr Maale and I am NERVOUS. I guess I am most nervous that he will find the infection isn't gone and we will have to start fighting again. Until the past few weeks, my knee has continued to drain about once a week since November. But I think the hole has now healed up - and it's been getting really puffy around my incision. Today it is VERY puffy. Also my abdomen around my hip has been really tight/hard. I thought it was just from the muscles being tight around the spacer that is out of socket in my hip --- but at a friends house last night a nurse felt it and said she thinks that it's leaking into my abdomen or that I've torn a muscle. I am just really scared now. Between my knee being so swollen on the incision and my hard abdomen.... Also worried about the altitude and pressure changes of the plane on my knee!!!!!!! :shrug: I have a pic of my knee but not sure how to insert it on here.
 
@Rebeccahpffd,

Don't worry! You are about to see one of the most respected surgeons in the world! He will figure out what is going on, and will take care of you! I am so glad that you are seeing him!

He does speak very technically, so have your questions written down, and if you don't understand what he is saying ask him to break it down into "people speak" :0)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom