My surgeon is planning to do a hip and knee replacement at once

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pt that has been with me since I was 3 weeks old is going with me so she can interpret all of the technical!

That is SUPER! :happydance: Now, I know this will be hard, but try not to think "what if", and just wait to see Dr. Maale! He will get to the root of all of your problems! You have someone with you that you can rely on, and a Dr. who will take care of your problems, or help you find someone closer if you wish. He has a team approach for each of his patients depending on the problem, so you might have a team of four or five doctors discussing your case when they meet. Like I said, Dr. Maale is extremely through, and he will leave "NOTHING to chance!"

I will be praying for you and waiting to hear what Dr. Maale says. Tell him, Sonja says Hi!:heehee:
 
Oh I have such bad butterflies!!!!!!!! Today is the day. 1 pm can't get here quick enough.
 
Wow. My head is reeling. Um testing is being scheduled for this week. Dr Maale thinks my entire femur is infected with a biofilm infection that's been carried along the rod that goes from my hip to half way down my tibia. If this is the case - we are talking 3d pelvic reconstruction, hip replacement, taking out entire femur bone and replacing it, knee fusion replacement. So I am having a drink then shopping to think awhile. Wow.
 
Wow is an understatement! Can all of this be done during the same surgery? I'm so glad you have an answer and have found a great doctor!
 
So yes, it would all be done in 1 surgery. Of what he called a "very heroic operation" which is a little daunting. He would not talk logistics if the surgery or rehab until all testing is done so we know exactly where we stand.
 
@Rebeccahpffd,

I am glad that you are finally able to find some possible answers to your problems! Dr. Maale will find out what is going on and he perfected the biofilm eradication.:happydance:
 
He handed us a pamphlet on biofilm but I'm having a hard time working my way through it. Can you explain it at all @RestAssured ???
 
Yes I can. There is a link in the library that I will tag @Josephine for but in the meantime,

Biofilm is a sticky substance that are the beastly bugs that have been running around in your system, and stick to any metal you have.

The problem becomes, you don't feel well, may still have pain and instability, because the metal has the infection, even though the body doesn't. That is why he is talking about removing all of the metal. It can "leech" out into the bones if it has been there awhile. Dr. Maale will explain further or catch Dustin, his PA orAmi! They will help you with any questions that you have!
((Hugs)):friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Rebeccahpffd. So glad that you are getting the very best expertise from Dr Maale and thank you for continue to post and let us know how you are getting on. Although it must be a worrying and scary time for you it so helps everyone to know that there are positive solutions to these type of infections. Hoping you get your very heroic operation done very soon so you can get on with your life...what a brave and courageous lady you are. Thinking of you. Chrissie xx
 
We are all thinking of you! Love and prayers to you and this wonderful doctor!
 
My hats off to you. So much to go thru. I wish you the best in your journey. Glad you found a good doctor.
 
Ok, so my mind was a little fuzzy as I typed. The bugs are the biofilm but become attached only to metal because metal is foreign to the body. What I meant was that the bugs evade antibiotics, because they "hide" on the metal.
 
Yikes! Never knew these little critters existed! I think that it's so wonderful that even something rare like this can be explained by someone on this site. What a blessing to have found all of you…..and more importantly, thanks to people like @RestAssured who are so willing to share their knowledge with people in need!
 
So ANOTHER update - phew I'm tired. We did 2 tests in Tx, and the other 2 could not be done till next wed. But I can't miss work so they have scheduled those 2 tests for at home then we will come back to Tx for results in 2 weeks. I had emailed my dr I was with since I was 8 months old - he has begged for a face to face before decisions are made. I think this is what's best too so we are in route to Fl now to meet him tomorrow. Atleast going there means I get to see all my lengthening kiddos and I can hug on them. I did a lot of child life work for and with them last summer so I miss them!!!!! We will probably go to Atl for 1 more opinion before making the final decision. I will let yall know what Paley says tomorrow. But shoot - this is my "spring break" and I need another one now to rest!!!
 
Good that you will be getting other opinions, to help you with your decision making.
Hope you have all your test results soon and then can make a decision.
 
Some "spring break" is right! At least you'll make your final decision knowing you thoroughly investigated things and considered what many experts told you. Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom