Bilateral TKR My story so far

Wow what a great recovery. :-) Keep enjoying your new knees


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
For years, our lives with our arthritic knee or knees have been abnormal and dysfunctional. We crave normalcy.

Then, when something simple occurs, such as kneeling, and it is "no big deal"---we realize how good the simple things in life actually are!

Normal---"no big deal" is what makes life so enjoyable!

Again, congratulations!
 
Wow...you're a very lucky guy!!! As long as you realize not everyone recovers that quickly! I thought my husband had a pretty decent recovery last year, but you have him beat. I'll call you the same as I called him...Showoff!!!! :) J/k count your blessings and continue to do well!!
 
Well, I had both done at the same time and the recovery was almost identical on both. I had no issues whatsoever, So, to me, this was a "normal" recovery. I think I had an excellent OS and I was a "good" patient or at least a good candidate for the procedure :)
 
Hello @Hitech it was great going back and reading your thread having not seen it before.....my inspiration before surgery was the Cliff Linderman video and I wrote down all his achievements and dates with the goal of surpassing them if I could....I found it interesting that some did not believe you particularly due to everyone saying recoveries are different.....I did not find this site until a few weeks after my bilateral and I was already on my way but have learned a lot since then that amazing recoveries like yours and mine are out there...
Not sure if you have read my story but a summary would be bad knees for a long time with meniscus repairs to both knees....finally with one leg bowing out and a side to side rolling limp and barely able to walk I found a great surgeon who wanted to do a bilateral ....I had surgery on Friday 11/14 and barely able to use the walker next day...by Sunday 11/16 I was walking around the ward holding my crutches by my side....I was discharged on Monday 11/17 for home as we do not have a rehab facility ..my OS asked my pain level and I said ZERO so he prescribed Tylenol if needed..and I never did...used the crutches for a few days went to cane for a week and ditched that 12 days after surgery....went back to my desk job on day 17 and was give permission to play golf on day 29. I have never really had pain since the day of surgery very very fortunate.. 4 months out and walking the course 4 days a week...my OS said he was sorry he did not video my visits as every time I am in his office people on the fence about the surgery decide to go ahead.. He credits my presurgery work to lose 50 pounds and build up my legs and arms...I have never told my story to brag because it could have been a difficult recovery just as easily but I have hoped that my story could get people to see that it can be done ....I am sure for everyone who doubted you there were many more who believed you and used your video as inspiration...

I hope to continue to improve as you have and wish you the very best with your amazing new knees..

Vinny
 
Another month has passed and all is well, very little change from last month.
 
And another monthly report; This is to give a description of what my knees are like after 606 days since my BTKR.
-The area on the outside of each knee with reduced feeling is still there but much reduced.
-Both knees "click" a bit early in the day and if the knees are "dangled".
-When standing after per-longed sitting the first two steps are still tentative.
-When walking across a sloping area of ground it is not comfortable, up slope and down slope no problem. Up steps and down steps no problem.
-Keeling on soft ground just a little uncomfortable (or strange feeling) on hard ground I avoid it.
-Standing for long periods no longer painful
-Walking long distances no longer painful.
All and all this is better that I had expected when I decided to have my unserviceable knees replaced.
 
enjoyed reading your story, glad all has gone so well for you. I am having a good recovery as well, not quite up to yours, but that is OK. great to hear how "normal" things are, gives me hope. I will be happy to be able to stand and walk for long periods pain free, I know it is coming in time.
 
-Keeling on soft ground just a little uncomfortable (or strange feeling) on hard ground I avoid it.
Bingo!!! Me too!! It feels very weird and I try to avoid it at all costs!
-When standing after per-longed sitting the first two steps are still tentative.
That should continue to improve.
-Walking long distances no longer painful.
All and all this is better that I had expected when I decided to have my unserviceable knees replaced.
You are doing great---a wonderful report---from one BTKR alumnus to another!
 
I enjoyed reading your story. Best reguards. Xx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
amazing,l thought l would have a recovery like you,l was in shape from manual labor all my life plus l exercise besides but no it did not work that way for me,,great job man
 
Thanks all for your comments. I am still working which includes climbing stands and ladders (Work on Large turbine engines). and all I avoid is "jumping down" I should have had this done 5 years ago. :)
 
I am at that point now where I forget I have two new knees ...things like running a rooms the street or jumping off of the dock no problems....still not s big fan of kneeling..if I knew it would be this easy and pain free I would have done it 5 years ago as well...but I have been lucky and would probably not have been before....continued best wishes on your recovery....my knee feel like they did 30 years ago.....

Vinny
 
@Hitech, I ran across your post and they are encouraging. I am only a little over 3 months out. I have the triple clump clump thunk in my right knee. It didn't start until about a month out from my TKR. It is bone jarring and it seems really loud to me, besides being very uncomfortable and irritating to the knee. On top of that I have a sharp pain that stabs under the knee cap when I step up on the operative knee or on stairs. I am most curious about your patella comment and how has the clunking been. My OS had put me back in PT for 6 weeks to strengthen my quads. I can't walk vary fast because of the way this knee cap rides. I kept my original knee cap and they put a button on it. Everyone I have asked either does not have this issue or had their knee cap removed and don't have it. Any comments would be appreciated
 
@wberry, I found that if I lift my foot just a little bit more than I think I should while walking that the clunk goes away (not sure how that might affect a triple clunk clunk thunk, though). I feel a vibration up my entire body when it clunks, so I'm anxious to stop it. If lifting my foot and altering my gait in that manner does the trick, I like the idea. I still have to run it by my PT to make sure I'm not making something worse with this approach, but I thought I'd mention it, because this problem has been driving you bonkers for some time.
 
Hey anything is worth a try as far as i am concerned. Now you know how I feel and what I am experiencing to a smaller degree, imagine it with 3-4 clunks and at least one major catch in there.

So I tried what you recommended. For me, I have to lift my knee up like I am marching to prevent the triple clink. Of course me knee is getting mad the more I do it. When I go back to a regular normal walk it is still there. (Frown):sigh:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Normal walking helps my clunking and it is more noticeable in the morning

Vinny
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom