Bilateral TKR My story so far

1 year ago today at 11:00 I was waking up from surgery, time has flown by and all is well. I still have a bit of tightness and the clicking but no pain unless I try flexion beyond 140 deg. Both knees are just alike in flexion and feel. I guess I have had an excellent recovery and watch the forum and occasionally reply. With my limited experience with any of the issues that are posted I just sit back and read and and am grateful for whatever made for my "issueless" recovery.
 
Great report! Thanks for the update. The tight rubber and feeling will go away over time.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Happy Knee Anniversary!
 
I noticed today that several had asked who the DR was and where it was done. Dr Bertram was the OS and it was done at NCH hospital in Naples FL. The Rehab was at the Chateau in Naples FL ( the place is even nicer that the name implies) :)
 
Great to hear that you're doing well!!! Thanks so much for coming back to give us an update. Those awaiting their surgery LOVE to hear stories like yours. It helps them so much to know there are good days ahead.
 
That is a great report! It is wonderful to hear from you again---and yo helped out a great many of our forum members who are currently going through those "dark days" of recovery.

you have not only had a great success in you TKR, but you have given many others the hope that they needed to see that there is the "light at the end of the tunnel."
 
@Hitech Your recovery has been nothing short of miraculous! Pardon me for engaging in a bit of envy. Congrats, I am so happy to know its possible.

I TOLD my hubby I needed to do this surgery in Florida! Some day he will learn to listen to me.

Mary
 
Thanks for your replys, I will keep giving monthly reports (I have my one year checkup coming up) :)
 
Well, 13 months out and all is well. I went for my 1 year checkup on Monday and Dr said "see you in two years".
Still a little tightness (both sides are the same) and clicking that I have mentioned. The Dr. said the source of the click is the Patella component rising off the femoral groove when the tension on the tendon is released after extension. He said that a small percentage experience that and that it may go away over time but that it is "normal". :)
 
Now 14 months out and all is well, progress at this point is very slow but it is easy to forget that I had them done. The Rom is hanging in there at about 140 on both and except for kneeling is does not limit any thing I do.
 
Now that's a report I love to read!!! Great news. So glad those knees are working well. That pesky kneeling can be difficult to master. I kind of go back and forth with it. And one knee is better at it than the other. It's the newer knee that is more comfortable for some reason (it's 2 1/2 years out and the other knee is 6 1/2 years out).
 
Hey HiTech, I haven't seen your posts before and it was a pleasure to read them.

My friend had a recovery similar to yours, it does happen! He didn't do bilateral, though, but had two knees done over a several months.

I wonder if men do better because of stronger muscles? Just sayin'.

Whatever the reason, I'm really pleased for you.
 
Thank you all for your reply's I feel bad posting "no issues" when I read the issues that others are going through. I think that the "problem" Knees get reported on more often then the "non problem" knees and I guess that is human nature.
 
Some people read the post op threads before their surgery so it's always good to have some of these positive reports on here. Don't feel bad about sharing your good news.
 
15 months out today and all is well, not many changes this far out. I still have a slight tightness if I think about it but in normal day to day activities it is not noticeable.
 
That is a great report---and I am sure that, over time, that tightness that you feel will also slowly subside---it did for me, too.

From one BTKR alumnus to another, I appreciate hearing your updates!
 
16 months today and all is well, the final tight feeling is still there but slowly getting better both still have a slight clunk but all and all I feel great.
 
Hey, Hitech.....how good to hear from you and know that you're doing well. Sometimes both those things (tight band and clunk) take a while to resolve, but it sounds like you're dealin' with it. The main thing is you don't have that rotten arthritis pain!
 
Well another month has gone by and all is well. At this point there are no dramatic changes, I did accidentally kneel in the grass while working in the yard and did not even think about it until I got up all I ended up with was some dirty knees :)
 
Another month has passed and all is well. I can now stand up from a straight back chair without pushing off so all and all I am almost normal :)
 
Back
Top Bottom