THR My recovery time has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
Take your meds on a schedule--every 4, 5, or 6 hours. [Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun... This includes the middle of the night (or wee hours of the morning) when you wake up and need more sleep. Being in pain is not conducive to healing and not getting enough sleep is not good for you physically or mentally.

If the pain meds you have are not working for you---don't kill the pain or give you an upset tummy or both, then talk with your OS or his PA and get something that will work effectively for you. But you have to take the initiative---they can't help you if you don't let them know what's going on--and be pushy if you have to.

You need to feel as comfortable as possible while you are recovering. And don't forget elevating and icing. Please take better care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
 
Hi ilovefall Wow!!!! You sound fantastic !!! Bravo !!! I am so proud of your positive attitude and reclaiming all of your life's joys back slowly and surely!! :kittykiss:

I have not experienced any diarrehea but then I am Sony on panadol and aspirin because all meds wreak too much havoc on me.
nanal you know what I'm saying ! :) can you wind back down yet to lighter meds? I find constant icing is the best help .

Congrats to us all!!! Xxxx
 
Stargirl- I am not having any real pain just muscle strain and pulling. I sometimes have deep muscle pain and will take some meds. I try to take pain meds at bedtime so I can rest. PT showed me how to sleep on my side and that worked great last night. Tylenol has been helpful for any discomfort mostly. Every day gets better and I am so thankful. I have to hold myself back so I don't break any rules. There have been a couple of tough days with meds and tummy but hope that is all under control. Absolutely- congrats to us all.
 
Diane,

It's so encouraging to read your posts. I am having surgery on Monday and am very nervous. I am having my hip anteriorly (sp?) and will have desolvable stiches. I hope I can recover as well as you have.
 
Hi everyone!

Today was so much better than earlier this week. I think I had side effects of the antibiotics. Dr had me stop them as my rash/incision is much better now.

Today I went on my first "store" trip. Short trip but felt SOOOOOOO good.

I'll check back in on Monday with a 3 week report!

Have a fabulous weekend. Stay strong and positive. :yay:
 
Looking forward to hearing your 3 week report. I will have my 2 week report. I am looking forward to a store trip maybe next weekend myself. Just trying to think of something to give me to work forward to. Just have been having this thought fleeting around in my mind today. We will see how the week goes. PT will finish up next week and will have me on the cane only . Have a great weekend.
 
ilovefall Hi Diane, I also had my THR on the 14th. I haven't been out of the house at all and don't know if I would be up for it yet. I do have a 75%wb restriction and I don't see my OS for my first follow up till the 13 of Feb. It is interesting how everybodies recovery is so different. I guess my wb restrictions are holding me back a bit. I don't think they suggest I drive until 6 weeks out. I'm surprised you can drive already. My OS also only wants me to do PT excercises that they showed us in the hospital and not have outside PT until after the first follow-up appt. You sound like you are doing so well, keep it up and I'll be following you to see how you progress. Too bad about the "runs" but I would love to have that problem for atleast one day.
 
Hi Diane

I suffered terribly from muscle and nerve cramps/spasms. These spasms have greatly reduced since I've been taking a magnesium one a day supplement with a B complex vit tablet for absorption. I also have a banana every night before bed(potassium). I can highly recommend as I was beginning to lose the will to live.......Cramps are the worst! Now I'm in a much better place, and able to help heal my body with a lot more positivity.
Hope this helps.

Lots of love

Queenie xxx
 
Hi everyone!

3 week update!

Walking great with a cane. Walking pretty good independently but with slight limp. GOSH, if this feeling of a block of wood in my hop area would go away, I would feel a little better when walking w/o the cane. Any insight on when this will happen? I'm assuming is is muscles, etc?

Meds: taking Tylenol during the day as needed and Hydrocodone at bedtime. Otherwise just an Aspirin as a blood thinner n
Rash has cleared and scar is healing beautifully.
Stomach issues are gone and found them to be a result of the antibiotic dr gave me to cover me when e rash came out.
Going out to run errands ONLY when feeling up to it.
Cooking for the family, unless I'm not feeling up to it.
Doing LIGHT housework.
Driving.
Sleeping pretty good at night. Sooo ready to sleep on my operated side. :whistle:
Wishing these snow showers would stop so I could take a nice walk outside!
Lost 6 pounds since surgery. YEY! 30 total to date!
Going for my 4 week checkup next Wednesday.

If anyone has any info about the 2x4 feeling let me know. :giggle:

THANKS!
 
Hi ilovefall sounds like you are progressing amazingly!!! With respect to block of wood I'm only 2 wks post op and know exactly what your talking about !! Hopefully as with last couple of weeks everyday slightly more normal feeling is regained. My pt keeps saying by six weeks l be good as gold ?.

I'll watch out for our members answers as I'd like to know this one too .
 
Hi Diane- Good news for your 3 week update. I am 2 week and have good days mostly. Had a lot of visitors yesterday and was very tired this morning. PT came today and walked outside and and up and down steps to 2nd floor. Legs were tired after than. Have transferred to cane and actually walk with less limp than with walker. I take tylenol during the day as well and narco for sleep. I have concern about taking just for sleep but don't know what else to do. I have slept on no op side and rested on operated side for 15 min or so but can't quite sleep yet. Released to do whatever I feel but I don't think my stamina is up to walking very much. Have not weighed yet and a little nervous about doing that. Still have some swelling in hip not a lot but a little. Don't know if clothes will ever fit again.
 
Went out for mani/pedi today. Ahhhhh felt like me again.

nanal I sleep on the non-operated side at times as well. Sill isn't the same. Especially since I'm using a pillow between my knees/legs. I know this isn't forever and I will be able to sleep on my operated side again soon. I'm soooooo uncomfortable sitting around the house. I think my body doesn't want to lay around anymore. Wish I could find a comfortable sitting position. Sofa,recliner, etc just isn't cutting t anymore. UGH!!
 
i love fall, just remember everyday is a new day! And each day will get better. Baby steps! I am 20 days post op, and when I was where you are now I felt like I was going to be stuck in that phase forever. But rest assured, it only gets better. I have to say I feel great, and so will you! Take care and rest!
 
gymrat1991. Hi. Thanks for the response. I'm actually 22 days pst op and feel great. Just tired of sitting around. I'm totally not used to it and now, at week three, I just think my body is actually hurting from too much siting. LOL.

Ready for this "block of wood" feeling in my hip to go away. LOL!
 
ilovefall, I am right there with ya! It feels like I can "feel" my new hip! I surely hope that goes away too! I made the mistake of over doing it yesterday, forgetting that I am NOT superwoman! I sure feel it today! I think we have a tendency to believe that we can do the things that we used to do, for how ever long we use to do them! That is just not the case. I have to remember, baby steps, and considering my stubborn nature that is a very hard concept to grasp! LOL! :snork:
 
ilovefall I don't know if this will help but I cut down a memory foam 3 in mattress to fit my couch. It really does help. If I didn't do that I would be very uncomfortable sitting around as much as I do. You seem to be a lot more active than I am. I'm tired of sitting around but at least I'm comfortable. Overstock has a lot of memory foam toppers and they delivery fairly quickly, you could possibly rush the delivery process if you order on the phone. It is worth the money.
I haven't even tried to sleep on anything but my back. Before the surgery I slept on my unoperated side most of the time. I'm just worried the pillow will fall out while I'm sleeping. Another good reason for the memory foam, my butt would be really sore if I didn't have it. So you haven't had a problem sleeping on your side?
I haven't been upstairs to sleep in my own bed yet and it's been 3 weeks. I have my post op follow up on the 15th. If I get rid of this wb restriction I think I'll start sleeping in my bed.
 
Congratulations, you did great and went home so quickly! Keep up the good work. I can't wait until I am where you are now - finished with the surgery and back home! Good luck!
 
ilovefall I am right there with you on not being able to get comfortable. My butt, back, legs, heels you name it get achy with every chair I try. I am so glad to hear it is not just me. I try to get up and walk more but that doesn't make things any better. Sometimes I think my leg bothers me more so I don't know what to do lay, sit or scream. Hubs took me to work for a couple of hours today. I just caught up on some paperwork and it was long enough. I will probably go back tomorrow maybe for an hour. At least it gives me a different scenery to look at. I have a wheelchair to get around building as I don't want to walk that distance and really get myself in a pickle. I think I take the meds at night just to be sure I get a decent night sleep. Keep up the post ladies as I do believe we are in the same boat with emotions. Love ya all
 
I cannot express how happy I am to have found this forum thread! What a wonderful support group; you are all so encouraging to one another! I also had THR on January 14. There are days when I am thrilled with my progress and days that I think I am falling behind. It has been an incredible encouragement to read your comments....it makes my experience seem acceptable. I suppose the greatest encouragement has been the reiteration that everyone's recovery is different. Part of my problem was unrealistic expectations; prior to surgery I had read that someone felt "back to normal" at two weeks. When that didn't happen for me, I was discouraged.

I am 47 and active. Looking forward to full recovery. It will come, right?!

I know I am new to the thread, but am already hoping and praying for full recovery for all of you!

Last thing before I close, has anyone had issues with IT band pain? My knee (operative side) just started hurting on Monday evening. Could that be from the way I am walking/compensating? Thanks and have a great Wednesday!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom