Hi ilovefall, you soound like you are doing phenomenal!!, is the pain less now than pre op or is it very early days to make such a call?. Take care of yourself and sweet dreams of a life of amazing mobility and freedom!!! xxxx
Diane you are having a wonderful recovery. Keep up the good work with rest and slow progress. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I hope next weekend I can say the same thing. I know I can and will. God is good.
Rough night sleeping. Just can't get comfortable. Mostly sleeping on non-operated side but feel cramp type pain on the operated side. Hopefully I'll sleep we'll tonight.
Went for a nice car ride today with my husband, followed by a short walk outside. Hopefully I'm good and tired and ill sleep tonight!
Trouble sleeping at night may be a problem for several weeks or for several months---different for different folks. This is why catnapping off and on during the day is so important. And having things you can get up and do in the night when you can't sleep and just can't lie there any longer are important to have in place. Accepting this and just going with the flow of it will be much better for you than getting upset about it----'cause it's just one of the downs in the wonderful world of recovery. It, too, will pass---eventually!
Early in recovery, I took my pain meds and went to bed at 11pm and usually woke up about 2 to 2:30am. I stayed in bed 'til 3am. Then got up and took another dose of pain meds and went back to bed. I would stay for about 30 minutes---if I went back to sleep, fine; if not, I got up and got in my recliner and turned on the TV, or later when I could really concentrate I might read or work a puzzle or get on the computer. I didn't let it get me down that I had the problem---I knew it would go away whenever it decided to go away.
I went through this with my hip and later with both my knees. I survived and love my hip and my knees and would do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to.
Walking with one crutch comfortably. Took a few walks outside.
Able to get in and out of the car unassisted.
PT exercises getting easier. Able to lift leg onto bed/couch without assistance.
Pain level holding between 1-3. Tylenol is my main pain medicine but taking Tramadol ( sp?) when I feel I need it so I cam stay ahead of the pain. (Learned this important to from my bonesmart friends )
Swelling and bruising is minimal. Most swelling has begun to go down but swelling around the thigh and knee increases with activity.
Incision is itching me like crazy. lol but looks good and is healing nicely. Glue so no need for stitches/staples removal.
Sleep is still touchy but still able to get 3-4 hours at a time. Awake for a while then back to sleep. I nap if I need it.
Appetite still not back (which I consider a good thing
I couldn't be happier on my progress and thank all my bonesmart friends for their help and guidance.
Good Morning Diane- so glad to hear from you today. I am very anxious over my surgery tomorrow but seeing posts like yours certainly boosts my spirits a great deal. Keep up the good work and we will talk later.
Gosh! Diane, you are doing so well for just 1 week post op. Some of us are lucky that way. I really like the way you're just going with the flow of recovery. Just don't let it go to your head---don't want you overdoing and regretting it. So just keep doing whatever you're doing now and increase activity very slowly over the next few weeks. Keep us posted. We care.
Diane! Congrats on your recovery! What would you say has been a contributing factor to your awesome recovery? I know everyone is different but just wondering what your thoughts were on that?
Teacat
I think maybe the most contributing factor is that I was working out right up until surgery. Trying to strengthen everything for surgery. I also didn't wait until I was in a ton of pain. Like so many of our bonesmart friends say "osteoarthritis doesn't get any better, it only gets rapidly worse". Once diagnosed and knew it was bad, I waited a year (as long as I was willing to) found the right doctor, lost weight and faithfully worked out. I can't dismiss my prayers either. I think they had a lot to do with my recovery too.
ilovefall
I think your right about the exercising up until the point of surgery. How did you do it and still control the pain? You're right about the prayers too!
Ok. These nighttime calf/thigh pain/cramps are crazy. I call it my witching hour. The time when I can't get comfortable due to these calf thigh pains. I'm told that it is mostly due to "nerve regeneration". Regardless, I finally found the right medication routine during this time.
Thankfully, due to my new medication routine, I had a great night's sleep last night. I went to bed at 11 and got up at 7. Waking only once for "pillow adjustment".
Otherwise, pain during the day remains around a 1-2.
Hiya Diane Glad to hear that you have got the meds sorted to deal with the calf pain and a whole night's sleep - I am so envious! Ill bet it makes a huge difference to your daytime energy.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.