THR My recovery time has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much Jaycey !!! I thought that was the case, but what do I know. LOL!!

I'm heading for vacation on Saturday, so the hip/leg will get a little break from the trainer :)

I'll check back the following week with an update!
 
Have a great vacation with that shiny new hip!
 
Diane, about a month ago, I had ankle/foot swelling for the first time in my entire life! It occurred after well over an hour of standing in line at the airport, and it decreased significantly by the next day. Haven't had it since. My conclusion is that the prolonged period of standing was indeed the culprit. I think it's very reasonable to assume that your new strengthening routine is not quite slow enough. Get some ice and elevation going, and ease even more gently into your new routine. Everything Jaycey said. :) And let's see what Jo says.
 
Oh Diane it so good to hear from you and that you r doing so well. I like you am doing fine. I have certain twangs and pains but all in all I am fine. I am going to the Y several days a week trying to get my strength back and some additional range of motion. I also gained extra weight that I did not need and would like to get it off. R u on facebook or how can we stay in touch? :happydance:
 
Even at 20 months post, I still get some episodes of swelling and I just go back to our mantra, rest, elevate, ice and within an hour or so all good :)
 
Hi, I'm back again. I'm just about 11 months post op. I'm a little concerned. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm scheduled to have my one year post appointment on January 13th. However, I'd rather not worry about this until then, so I thought I would turn to BoneSmart! :)

I've been experiencing groin pain that is strictly located in the hip joint. It doesn't radiate down the leg or to the back, etc., It's generally when I come up from bending over to the floor to pick something up. Would only have it occasionally; but now it's everytime I stand up after bending over (to the floor). It goes away after about 10 seconds, but the pain is enough (about a 5-6) to make me say "OUCH".

Any help or insight would be helpful. Thank you BoneSmart family!
 
Hi Diane! Lovely to hear from you :) I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing pain in your groin. Someone here will have some ideas I'm sure. Hopefully it will be something minor which will settle by itself. Best wishes!
 
@ilove
Hi Diane, Sorry to hear you are having that pain. I have pain but it is mostly due to bursitis of course living in the Seattle area with all this rain doesn't help. I haven't had any groin pain but occasionally I feel some pain deeper in the joint but I can't say it's due to anything I do. I think the moderators will have more to say about your pain and the possible causes. It's good to know you have you follow-up coming up soon. Even the thought of groin pain hurts and brings back those pre-surgery day memories. I hope is turns out to be something simple and goes away by itself. Maybe the change in weather? Just a thought.
 
octopus luluohio Thanks so much for your responses. I can always count on BoneSmart friends writing back!! Thank you.

sharonslp My activity level is pretty much back to normal. I've been going to a Personal Trainer 2x a week for four months now. I've toned and strengthened so many of my muscles. I've lost weight and feeling great. I'm always careful to be aware of what I know my body can and cannot handle. My trainer works extremely well with me and if one of my joints (I have oestoartritis in my knees as well) isn't feeling up-to-par, we stay clear of it until it feels better. I honestly don't believe I'm overdoing anything. We don't do hard core weight training, it's basic strength training. I ride an Elipitical, exercise bike and walk whenever I can. I'm in SUCH better shape now than I was prior to surgery!

Thank you for tagging Josephine. I'm sure she too, will have some great insight for me.

Thank you for your reply. :)
 
I honestly don't believe I'm overdoing anything.
All evidence to the contrary! :wink:

To start with, can you tell the the exact location of your pain using this chart?
Each square needs the number for the row (horizontal) and the column (vertical) to identify it. Also say if it's front or back.
When you've done that, I'll come back and talk with you some more.

[Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
 
Josephine Thank you for your reply. LOL How did I know you were going to say something about my statement "I honestly don't believe I'm overdoing anything". :) Seriously though, I have prided myself on the fact that I do listen to what my body is telling me. I've learned that lesson here! As well as the "if it hurts, don't do it". I truly try to abide by that.

As far as the chart, my pain is located: Front...Row C...Column L5F

Again, this pain generally strikes when I'm standing up from bending over to pick something up. While sitting, climbling stairs etc., it doesn't hurt.

Thank so much for your guidance.
 
Row C...Column L5F
Hmmm ..... That's not a psoas impingement then. Could (only could) be a loosening or something. I don't really know for sure. I do think you need to get it checked out by your surgeon though.
 
Oh, gosh I hope not, Diane. Thinking of you. Let us know how you get on.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hello BS friends,

Just an update. I'm a little over two years post op (LTHR) and have decided to get my right hip done this fall (possibly October 20th).

I'm way too young for all this osteoarthritis!! Trying to imagine a pain free vibrant future Is becoming frustrating and draining.
 
Hi Diane, I feel for you, doing it all again. But it will be unbelievable for you to be pain free. How's your new hip doing?
 
Hi Diane- I was so surprised to see you again here. I knew you were thinking about your other hip but it looks like you are pretty much a "go". I am seeing orthopaedic doc tomorrow. I have been having some issues with my other hip as well and am just fed up. My "new hip" is doing awesome and thought I had this mess kicked until just a few weeks ago. When it goes- it goes. That is way my other hip did before surgery. Good one day and done the next. Guess I will know more in 24 hrs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom