THR My recovery time has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ilovefall you sound like you are doing fabulous wow !!! I cannot fathom jumping in the exercise bike again ! :) I am four weeks today and trying to do my pt exercises most days although pain flares a little if she pushes me to much do I have banned her from giving me the elastic band around the knees exercise which is when your lying down to have an elastic around your Knees and keep one leg still and bend the other leg out ( whilst you are lying down with knees raised) it's my nightmare !!! Anyone else ?

Also the clams :/ eeeeeewwww!!!!! Anyone else needed to tell their physio to calm down ? :)
 
stargirl I did home PT and it was pretty good. Small exercises (heel slides, partial squats, heel toe raises, kick backs, side leg slides, side leg kick outs, knee raises and straight leg raises), they didn't push the straight leg raises. He had me do what I could with those and then assisted me with them, as needed. The home PT stopped February 1st, so I had two and a half weeks of just working on my own and doing only what I choose to do. Yesterday, at the outpatient PT, I was basically given the same exercises the home PT gave me and stretched. I was told that we would add things as time goes on. My doctor perscribed me to go 2x a week for 6 weeks. I'm assuming they will add balancing and more strengthening as we go along.

Wow, that elastic band sound like it would hurt. Ouch!! If it hurts, don't do it. Take care and keep me posted!!
 
acbelmar Sounds like you're coming along nicely too! Congrats! Keep up the good work. I was so stressed and scared before the surgery, but I swore to myself that I was going to be a good example to my kids by dealing with my recovery with a positive attitude and being strong. Don't get me wrong, I had a few tears and woeful times, but these times were usually with them not around.

Before you know it, this will all be behind us. :)
 
I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op. I, too, am using only a cane. It's nice to read that I am on par with everyone else, EVEN though I know that we all heal differently. If I walk without the cane, I look like a penguin...it's not natural, so I will use the cane until I can walk as normally as I can (have bad knees and ankle too)! :spin:

Someone mentioned that it feels like they are sitting on something near the incision site. I had that also. It felt like I was sitting on a orange. My home physical therapist massaged the area and it broke up whatever was inside (scar tissue ?) It still feels kind of lumpy, so I am gently massaging it myself. My incision was glued and is completely healed on the outside.
 
Hi everyone.

Yesterday was six weeks post op and I'm doing really well. I couldn't be more happy with my recovery so far. Feeling really blessed.

Started back to work last week. Did all half days and yesterday was my first full day. Well, today I'm taking a half day again. Didn't sleep well last night!!

I seem to be having a "cramp like" feeling going down the side of my operated leg. It feels like it starts at the incision site and the cramp is targeted just below my knee on the side. Weird right? PT said it's simply the muscles tight. They stretched me out and I did my normal PT. When I left I felt better, went back to work and by the time I got home the cramp like feeling was back. Stretched out again when I got home.

I've been telling myself that this simply another phase of recovery. LOL hopefully a quick passing one. :)

Take care everyone!
 
Hi stargirl
I'm going great! This week was seven weeks post op. It's crazy how this site is such a part of your life when you're going through preop and then immediately postop. But as soon as you start feeling like yourself, you seem to drift away. I don't mean to forget my bonesmart friends, it's just I'm so busy at this time of the year (hence why I got the surgery in January).

I'm still doing PT 2x a week. I'm walking unaided with an ever-so-slight limp. Well, I think I have one, my family says they don't see one. Regardless, I know I still need lots of restrengthening.

Today I'm having pain (ache) in the right (non-operated side) hip and knee. Most likely from all the rain we've had here, plus I already know I have arthritis in both of them too. Plus, they are still compensating for my left weekness.

I'm back to work full time and doing well. Sleeping is just about back to normal. Sleeping comfortably for a few hours on the operated side!!! WOW it's insane how awesome this surgery/recovery is!!

My daughter has a dance competition this weekend, so I'm a little nervous about being tired and worn out. We leave tomorrow at 1:00 and will get home on Sunday night around 8:00 pm. Her busiest day is Sunday, so I'll be making sure I take my Bonesmart Cocktail!!

Speaking of meds, I'm basically not taking anything other than at bedtime and that's the Bonesmart Cocktail (tylnol and Advil).

I couldn't be happier with the way things have gone and I thank god every night for blessing me with this recovery!!!

Take care everyone!!!
 
This week was nine weeks for me. My hip feels great......but..... I'm having trouble again with my Baker's Cyst behind my knee. I was scared last week that it was my hip because the last time I had the "behind the knee pain while walking" was when I walked into the pre-op room the day of my LTHR!! The behind the knee (down the calf) pain started back up last week. I called my hip doctor and explained what was going on and he had me come in to check the hip out. He took some Xrays was said it looks great.

He wants me to go back to the Sports Medicine Doctor (he's also part of Rothman Institute), who did my meniscus surgery (back in May 2012). I'm soooooo frustrated right now. I was feeling so good, now this. I know I shouldn't be getting down on myself, but really I can't take this pain. I can hardly walk when I first get up due to the "behind the knee - top of calf" pain. This all started back up after I "sat" at my daughter's dance competition the enitre weekend of March 8, 9, 10 (walking here and there to stretch). I can't help but think that all the sitting affected the cyst. I still question why hasn't it hurt me since prior to the surgery though???? I'm so confused and can't wait to see the doctor. I pray to get relief. I'm tagging Josephine and Sharon Josephine sharonslp to see if they have any professional insight to offer. ANY help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
 
Hi great news...I had a glued wound and today the nurse took off the dressing and all looks good...keep on going at a pace that works for you....clifford
 
Have you actually and really been diagnosed as having a Baker's cyst? There are other things this pain could be like Hamstrings for instance.
 
Josephine :yes!:

Thank you for the reply.

Yes. When I went to the doctor complaining of knee and hip problems, (which showed the end stage osteoarthritis in the hip), I was also sent for a MRI of my knee which revealed a tear of the meniscus and a large bakers cyst.

Thoughts?
 
Diane, I wish I had knowledgeable expertise to offer you. So far, I've not had any knee issues, so I don't know much about them at all. I read up on Baker's Cysts after you posted this....the information that Jo linked to, plus a couple of basic medical websites for us laypeople. I gather these things are generally normal and unremarkable...except when they decide to cause a lot of pain. I gather that surgery is not a terribly viable option. I gather that they tend to be self-limiting....I think that means they come; they go; they come; they go. And for you...they come.

My reading also suggests that treatment is the usual mantra....rest, and OTC pain meds, plus icing and elevation. You mention sitting at your daughter's dance competition as a suspected cause of this flare-up, but if resting the knee is good, then I don't see how this aggravated the condition.

I'm therefore wondering if you are simply doing too much in general. I know you're back at work full-time. And still doing PT, yes? At nine weeks, that's a pretty full plate all by itself. Are you also doing housework? Shopping? Errands, etc? Much stair-climbing? Do you have to deal with inclines? At the same time, you've been cutting down your pain meds. Perhaps this is why you didn't feel any pain from the cyst after surgery....until the point where you've cut back enough to be aware of the pain again.

Conclusions? Take it easy on activity, and try an effective dose of tylenol during the day (or the BS cocktail so you get some anti-inflammatories too). It sounds like this is a condition you have to contend with on and off. When the inflammation dies down, you can cut back on your meds again and see how it goes. A consultation with your Sports Med doc may offer you other insights into how to effectively manage this. It sounds like you have to learn how to balance getting enough activity without getting too much activity.

Also keep in mind that you are very early in the THR recovery process. There are so many new adjustments that your body is making to the new hip joint....these may very well be impacting stresses elsewhere. In two months, four months, six months, a year....the Baker's Cyst may be a non-issue entirely. Wouldn't that be loverly!! (I heard someone singing that song last week, and now it's stuck in my head. :)

Does this help at all?

Sharon
 
Quick update: I'm 11 weeks post op and doing GREAT!!! I LOVE my new hip!! Just a "slight" stiffness in the hip area, otherwise, no pain/discomfort. I can also put my sock & shoe on!!!!! Quite the accomplishment, if I do say so! LOL!

As far as the knee issue. Got the Bakers Cyst drained last week. It was drained under ultrasound guidance and a cortisone injection was done immediately after draining. It's feeling great.

I'm enjoying my new hip and plan to have an awesome summer!!

I'll keep checking in from time to time to see how everyone is doing. Thank you all for all your help and encouragement!!

Cheers!!
 
CookingLoverGirl, I'm sorry you're still being challenged by your recovery progress, but due to the complications of the fracture you experienced, there is a big difference between your recovery and most others (unfair but a reality). I know it can be difficult to not compare, but I can understand your frustrations. I'm going to tag bellaroma that just had her 2nd hip done a month ago after experiencing a fracture after her first hip last October. She is still experiencing growing pains with that first side, but it is definitely getting better. Keep your chin up as this was something out of your control and you cannot rush it. We do care!

:flwrysmile:
 
Angie, I know how you feel everyone who I was operated with in October was doingsome many new things, each week they would add new tasks and activities to their growing list and I was just standing still not getting anywhere. Between the fracture that occred during my surgery and the right hip getting worse I felt so behind the eight ball. What helped me was humor and my close friends on this forum.It will get better unfortunatly not at the pace either of us would like, . My left hip still remins me that it is there and my new right hip while able to walk is still very swollen, soe and has lost a lot of feeling on the side.
It will get better,reach out to me anytime
 
Hi Diane

I'm really pleased to hear your fantastic report. Thanks for coming back to let us know. :) Before my surgery I hoped that I would have a recovery as good as yours, and so far so good. I'll be five weeks on Tuesday and everything is going well.

Kiwi Diane
 
Hi Everyone,

Everythings been going great. Just a quick question for our great bonesmart experts. :) Josephine sharonslp
I'm about 6½ months post op and I'm noticing some ankle swelling on my operated side. Any idea of what this could be? Is it just part of the continued healing process?

Little back up info: I've started going to a personal trainer (2x week - this is my 2nd week). She is doing mostly strengthen training with me, and we are taking it slow. But, could it be that the "awakening muscles" are causing the ankle swelling.

Any insight and help would be appreciated.

Thank you my bonesmart friends!! :)
 
Hi Diane! Great to hear things are going well. Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope you get it sorted soon.

I'm almost five months now and overall recovery has been good.

Best wishes
NZ Diane
 
I think the clue is in your backup info Diane. Every time you add a new activity your body is going to respond. Ice and elevate and scale back if things get too swollen. Recovery is all about trying and if it's not working quite right, wait and try again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom