THR My recovery time has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Diane... At just over 3 months I sometimes still feel 'blocky' I think it's a good description. But the sensation of leg differential is abating. So, even now I have to remind myself that recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. Sounds to me that at this point, you are coming along very nicely.
 
Thank you to everyone for your advice and input.

sharonslp it is most definitely a stiffness feeling. But at the same time, it kind of feels like something artificial in there (no pun intended haha). I have this feeling when walking. I had it when standing but that seems to be getting better.

I guess I'm scared that its something I will feel forever. I know I'm probably being silly and I know I need to be patient and thankful that my recovery has been so good thus far.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
ilovefall and CookingLoverGirl, what these things that are worrying you so need is TIME. Given enough TIME they will resolve themselves and go away. And what the two of you, along with most recovering BoneSmarties, need is PATIENCE.


This recovery is going to take TIME---more than you would like. But think about how long it took you to reach the point you needed this surgery. So it's going to take a while to recover and get back to where you were years ago---and it's not going to take years---just a few months. So you've got to dig way down deep inside and find the PATIENCE to take the TIME to recover.

So take deep breaths and relax and count your blessings and look at how far you've already come from where you were. Take care you two and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
 
Hi Diane, I,too, had LTHR on 14th Jan and my recovery sounds almost identical to yours. I am very pleased with progress and am walking most of the time without a cane - I just take it for support on dog walks. However I do have the same feeling of a block of wood at the back of my leg directly underneath my buttock - it feels very heavy and solid and usually comes on late morning after I have been on my feet for 2 or 3 hours. I had a spinal too. I get the feeling it is deep tissue swelling and I probably need to rest more often - not easy as I am really enjoying feeling fit again and being able to enjoy life again so much. So pleased you are doing so well.
 
Another block of wood here! It's only started happening this past week (4 weeks post op) and for me it comes on mainly in the evening after I have been sitting for a while. It feels like a very hard solid block around the incision so about 10" by 4" on side of hip. Fortunately, it disappears overnight but it is quite a creepy feeling - don't like it!
 
Hi everyone.

I had my 4 week post op appointment today. Doctor said I'm doing great. I can stop taking the aspirin (blood thinner). He said there are no restrictions other than "if it hurts and doesn't feel natural to do, don't do it". I am allowed to start back to work next week; starting part-time for at least one week. Doctor wants me to do outatient PT to strengthen the areas that are still week. He told me I don't need the cane (unless I feel I need it for security).
 
I ALMOST FORGOT...... He confirmed that the block of wood feeling is definitely the muscles etc and they will fix themselves.
 
Sounds like everyone is recovering well. I also have that feeling like I am sitting on something (more like an orange). My pt said it will eventually go away. It does usually happen when I am tired or after exercising. I had my surgery on 1/22. I am using a cane around the house and crutches when I am out. I feel stronger every day and look forward to walking unassisted like Nanel and Inca1. I can't wait for spring!
 
Hiya Diane
Glad to hear that you are making such great progress - is it beginning to feel an age ago when we were all struggling with those early days? I'm amazed that your surgeon has given you the go ahead to abandon the cane - does that mean you are walking normally with no aids? I can only manage a few steps without my crutch and even then it's more of a lurch than a walk. With the crutch I can walk really well so I'm sticking to that for now.

Very best wishes for your return to work - take it easy when you can!

UK Diane
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Hi UK Diane lovegardening

Yes I'm walking unaided. Today is 5 weeks post op. I have a slight limp yet but it's crazy how things improve every few days. I still use the cane if I feel I need it. Today I went for a trip to the store. Walked in unaided and then walked through the store with a cart. Did great!! Keep up your good work too! Yes, it sure does seem like yesterday that we were stressing about our upcoming surgeries!

I have to say that at times I'm still taking the Hydrocodone at night to help me sleep since sleeping positions aren't the easiest still. Can't wait to be able to fall asleep and sleep through the night again. Ahhhhh it will be ack again.....I pray. :sleep:
 
Your recovery sounds wonderful going ilovefall congratulations !!!!
I am four weeks tomorrow and been on cane for two and half weeks just now occasionally forgetting it around the house cannot wait until I don't need it and the creeping hip pain on both hips at night is banished forever!!!! :)
Isn't it lovely to be a little active again!?
Keep going strong for us xxx
 
Good morning Diane- I am 4 weeks post op today. Went on shopping spree Sat and probably over did things. Muscles are protesting somewhat. I feel awesome most days. Working a couple of hours evey day or so . That patience thing is so, so hard. I am so thankful for my recovery and I still have the block feeling as well. Keep up the good work.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
What's a few aching muscles when you've had such fun! If you've just got to overdo---this seems one of the best was possible. Just rest and relax and all will be well again!


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
 
Ilovefall..I just read all your postings and you are an inspiration!!! I had my surgery Feb 4th and I'm not moving as fast as you, but I am making headway and feel good about it. I use this forum to help me as I really didn't get much advice from my visiting PT or nurse..and I never got any Occupational therapy which I thought would have been so beneficial..especially because I live alone and have to put socks on myself!! I found out on these forums about icing and elevation...what a relief to have some pain management other than medications! You have such a great attitude and many of your experiences have mirrored mine. I too have that feeling of something foreign in my hip, but that doesn't bother me much. I think we are lucky we had so few restrictions.
luluohio It sounds like you may have had a different approach to your HR..I had anterior which is supposed to be less evasive and have less restrictions . From what I hear the other approaches require more restrictions and it sounds like you are doing great considering you have those restrictions in place. One thing I think we can all agree on..Thank God for modern science and all these wonderful Drs and nurses who can take away our pain and let us live life again!! Kudos to them!! I look forward to your future posts!!
 
Today only used the cane in and out of the house. It is amazing how much stronger you get each day. I am pretty sore right now so I will ice and probably take a valium to sleep (muscle relaxar and sleep aid). I had to walk up stairs yesterday (with my cane) and it went well - better than before surgery :giggle: YEAH
 
When you think about what the actual procedure of a THR is, there are so many layers of healing that have to occur, bone, muscles, ligaments, nerves, soft tissue... they all take different times to heal...

I know it is hard to get one's head around the fact that the body is in control and it is going to take as long as it needs...

I personally considered that it would take a full two years for me to fully recover due to my level of immobility pre surgery..

At 15 months post, I know that I still have so much recovery still happening.. patience is a hard lesson for all of us to learn with joint replacement surgery.. slow and steady :)
 
Hi everyone!

Had my first outpatient PT appointment today. It went well! They stretched my hamstring and calf muscles. OMG it felt so good! They told me I can start back to riding my exercise bike. YEY!! However, I was advised to start slow (level 1) and begin by riding for five minutes. Gradually increase, as tolerated. IF IT HURTS, stop and try again a few days later.

On another note, the "block of wood" feeling is starting to dissipate. :yay: This makes me very happy.

I've started back to work (half days) and I'm taking it slow. Working 8-11:30, going home and taking a nice nap!

I'm off all narcotics. Taking Tylenol as needed and the bonesmart cocktail at bedtime. Sleeping is still slightly disrupted, but I'm dealing with it.

So excited for Friday night!! I'm heading out for dinner with my husband and another couple. :yahoo:

Hope everyone is doing well. Take care!!
 
Congratulations!!!You sound so pleased with your recovery..I'm very happy for you!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
Whatever you're doing, ilovefall, is working beautifully. And you sound happy and upbeat. Yep, things are just falling right into place---and getting better and better.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My recovery time has begun...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom