THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Simplieme my husband texts me as
well. But I don't like being by myself the entire night. I know that sounds childish. If I didn't have the surgery, I don't mind when he goes out of town. Guess maybe I don't feel confident with my new hip yet b
 
Should one take pain med or Advil before having staples removed?
 
@Arlene56 I agree about you not being alone.
I found that It doesn't hurt that much when they take the staples out, more of a sting when the put the tool in. I admit I fainted, but not because of the pain, I'm just a bit of a baby and am totally squeamish.


Pam
RTHR February 22, 2016
 
I felt nothing when my 24 staples were removed. I heard the click as she cut or opened the staple, not sure what she did as I couldn't see, but that's it. I had no bleeding or wound weeping.
 
@Simplieme I get squeamish myself. In fact, I have to lay down when they take blood from me and I always ask the nurse to use a baby needle. So I understand. :loll: I remember when our son had to have surgery when he was a toddler that I had to lay down in the waiting room. Geezz. :heehee:
 
@Arlene56, I so hope you aren't embarrassed, my dear. I won't even go into the things that worry me! As far as you not wanting to be alone at night at 3 weeks post-op, I am with you there. My husband and daughter went away on a 3-week backpacking trip when I was 3 weeks post-op. For much of that time I wasn't even able to contact him as he was in the wilderness! The ONLY way that I could have dealt with this was that my sister lives next door to me, and she is a nurse (bonus!) and she was on call for me. Fortunately, I didn't need her at night, but just knowing that she would have been with me in a minute if I had needed her, was what got me through. I had my phone on my person at all times except when sleeping, and when I was sleeping, it was within arm's reach. I hope you can come up with a solution that works for you, that makes you feel comfortable.
 
@Krista Wow. What a fun time your husband had with your daughter. You all must be very active! Three week! Wow. Did they pitch a tent to sleep in? What great memories.
 
They did take a tent that my daughter used, although my husband prefers to sleep cowboy-style, in a bivy sack under the stars. The actual backpacking part of the trip was 12 days in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. They carried all their food, cooking supplies, shelter and clothing on their backs as they climbed around the mountains. It was a wonderful trip for them, and a great bonding experience for my young adult daughter with her dad. We went on many such trips with our two kids when they were young (even as toddlers!), and a number with just my husband. We are an active family, and I have been left out of so much since my problems with bad joints has limited my mobility. My first experience with walking aids started on such trips in 2008, as I couldn't manage without using two trekking poles.
 
Have a question. Since my leg is swollen should I elevate it while sleeping st night?
 
I sure would ask Jaycey or Josephine before you do that. I think Josephine mentioned something about an issue with potential blood clots, but I'm not positive. I'll page Jaycey for you @Jaycey?
 
Sorry friends another question. For the past 2 days I fall asleep so sporadically. I get up, eat light breakfast, PT and/walk. I fall asleep reading the paper, reading a book and yes even typing on BS. Is this normal? I sleep well at night. Just never have fallen asleep so much
 
@Arlene56 I remember during my second week post op, I was falling asleep a lot throughout the day. One minute I'd be watching TV, then I'd be purring. Ended up buying one of those travel pillows because nodding off in my chair was hurting my neck. I put it down to meds and lack of sleep at night, also the surgery itself knocks the stuffing out of you...it all catches up with you. I started going for a sleep on my bed in the afternoon for an hour or two, I found that stopped me nodding off at various times throughout the day. Thing is, I wouldn't fight it, just go with the flow, if your body needs the sleep let it sleep.
 
Since my leg is swollen should I elevate it while sleeping st night?
I elevated while sleeping. Iced as well!
I get up, eat light breakfast, PT and/walk. I fall asleep reading the paper, reading a book and yes even typing on BS. Is this normal?
If you are sleeping you are one of the lucky ones! Sleeping is all a part of healing. Don't fight it!
 
Hi @Arlene56 and congrats for becoming a new "hippie"! I've just caught up on your thread and I have to say, I wanted to come straight through my laptop and strangle that insensitive nurse for scolding you. How dare her?! I'll bet she's never had any major surgery, much less a THR. You lay down and sleep or just take it easy whenever the mood strikes you. It's what your body needs right now. And, while I'm ranting, I'm wondering how your hubby would have felt, if you slipped and got injured while taking your shower and he wasn't there for you? My hubby didn't leave the bathroom....he would sit on the toilet seat, while I was showering...until I got to the point where I was good and stable and told him I can manage on my own now. But he still stayed close by, just in case. Fortunately, for you, you did manage to get through your shower....no harm...no foul. Thank goodness.
If you are the least bit apprehensive about being alone while your husband is away, then, by all means, get someone to stay with you. It never hurts to have some company. But, with that said, I would suspect that you will be pretty mobile and self-sufficient by your 3-week anniversary.
I had 34 staples and when they were removed, they only thing I felt, was absolute relief, when the nurse pulled the last one out. There was no pain and no discomfort.
And, I iced 24/7 for nearly 6 weeks and elevated my leg any time I was sitting or laying down. The icing was a blessing, in disguise, as it not only eased the discomfort, but kept the swelling and bruising at bey.
Follow the BS mantra and you'll do just great! Have a happy recovery day!:flwrysmile:
 
Ended up buying one of those travel pillows
I did just the same thing!

I'm still napping. Pre-op I had got into the habit of lying down for an hour or so in the afternoon because it took the pressure off the old hip and let me get ahead of the pain. I suppose when I eventually go back to work I will have to get out of the habit again but I'm enjoying it while I can! :)
 
@Nana757 yeah that nurse had the nerve. I don't know which nurse I get until the morning of. She came again yesterday morning. One of the first things she said to me was "it's so nice to see you downstairs sitting in a chair."
Ergg. I feel like being upstairs next time she comes. (Heee).
Do you use a ice mat for icing? Just wondering as I need to find something else. I have these long insulated bags that I got received from the hospital. They are ok as we put shaved ice in them. They are kinda bulky. I need something that I can sit on in comfort.

Have a good wkend :SUNsmile:
 
Well, 13 says postop. Feeling pretty good. My pain level is around a 3. Nothing much
more.

I have staples so they have been pinching me this week. Rather uncomfortable at times. But they come out on Monday. Yeah!!

PT has been good. Have walked without my walker a few times, but not that confident yet. It has been rather cold here in Chicago so I haven't ventured outside for a walk yet. Maybe tomorrow if my hubby can come along with me.

My leg is still swollen. I ice and elevate it almost 24/7. I can't believe how dry my skin is. Is this normal? I haven't shaved my legs yet. They really need attending to. Yikes!

I have noticed that my hair is falling out somewhat? Is this normal?

Other than that things are ok. Our daughter is in college and told us she really isn't happy where she is attending. So that has been heavy on my heart this week. She is transfer student as it is. She didn't like her college last year. I truly think she doesn't know what to do with her life. She is lost. She has lost 4 roommates this year. All but 1 roommate dropped out of college. So now she has no roommate and is lonely as well. She is living in a dorm that is considered "hotel style" this means each room
has their own restroom. It is a very quite dorm. Not your typical dorm. She is involved in
Habitat for Humanity and is on 2 volleyball leagues. She also is on a storm chaser team. Her college offers a lot of wkend get aways. So she has gone by herself to a few and found some nice friends. I think the biggest thing is that she doesn't have a nice roommate to do things with. I am always praying for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she wants to stay home next year. Which is fine but it will be BORING. I see girls her age having lots of fun in college and it breaks my heart she isn't having fun. It is very frustrating. :thud:

Sorry about that change of direction.
Hope all BS peeps are having a good wkend.
Take care :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom