THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Simplieme Thank you for your response. I have been a caregiver and you really need to have a lot of patience and compassion. When my parents were ill and in the hospital, you could always tell which nurses loved their job and were not working just for a paycheck.:yes:

Have a good evening
 
Started having pinching sensation around incision. It comes and goes. I have staples and will be getting them out on Monday. Any input would be appreciated
 
I literally 24/7 in the hospital (3 days) and maybe 3 days once I got home. Because I had no swelling, bruising or much pain, I didn't ice after that first week. If I had experienced any of the above, I most definitely would have continued with the ice as much as possible. I did keep my toes above my nose for about 10 days. I didn't have stitches, so unfortunately I can't offer up any experience on it.
 
Sounds like the staples are starting to pull. It will feel much better when you get them out.


RTHR February 22, 2016
 
@Cynthia777 - the evil nurse yesterday told me to not ice 24/7. She said it could do more harm than good. I really don't know what to do. I even iced while sleeping. That's what I did in hospital and the nurses didn't say not to. Guess I need guidance in this. Thank you
 
@Arlene56. My personal experience is to keep on icing. It makes it feel better. It really helps with pain, keeps swelling down. We have soft tissue injury from the surgery, it makes sense to use ice to reduce inflammation, help with healing.


RTHR February 22, 2016
 
Hope you feel better with yourself soon @Arlene56. It seems post op depression can be part of the process, but we are all here with you watching, not always commenting, but definitely feeling for you. Not had mine done yet but all your comments are being kept in my head for the aftermath I face. My husband is one who is a bit of a tough love person too and thinks exercise is the be all and end all, so guess disagreements may be part of it for me too. So much advice and good wishes are coming your way, please don't feel alone, it won't be long now. Take care.:ice::friends:
 
the evil nurse yesterday told me to not ice 24/7.
Humm, I don't know why she would say that. Neither the nurses in the hospital or the in home PT said anything negative about me icing 24/7.

Going through this process is also lonely. People don't understand what you go through. Some think you should just "suck it up".
I understand completely what you are saying. My second week of recovery was so emotional. I had never felt so alone. It gets better, hang in there!
 
@Arlene56 - so sorry about your bad day. No one understands quite like a fellow Smartie. I've always been an advocate of listening to your body - it's telling you what it needs. Oh, and if you should ever hear that that nurse has a THR make sure you pop round and give her a spot of advice :censored:
 
@shirleyH - yes, my husband is a bit fit and initially thought the same, ie exercise will make it better.
:treadmill::upright::hiking:My OS put him right when we were at the initial consultation and I have repeated to him the BS mantras about not overdoing it. I think he was just keen to get me fully well as soon as possible and now he understands. And by the way you will be having your Op shortly after me, so I will follow you and keep an eye out for your posts. Best wishes :flwrysmile:
 
@shirleyH Welcome to Bonesmart. :welome: BS is just a blessing!! They provide so much helpful information. I know my preop and postop would not have been the same had I not stumbled upon BS.

When are you having surgery? I go next Monday for my 2 wk follow up and to get those pinching staples removed.

My husband is very independent. Years ago when he got 'snipped' the Dr told him to make sure he laid down and not overdue it. Well he did over do it and ended up popping his stitches open. Ouch. :no-fin::headbang: He had to get restitch. So I guess I may be expecting too much from him.

Have a good day!
 
Humm, I don't know why she would say that. Neither the nurses in the hospital or the in home PT said anything negative about me icing 24/7.


I understand completely what you are saying. My second week of recovery was so emotional. I had never felt so alone. It gets better, hang in there!

This is my second week. So I guess it is just a part of the process. Looking forward to happier days
 
@Arlene56
That second week is a common time to experience those post-op blues. Yesterday I forgot to take my Percocet and by late afternoon I could feel an emotional withdrawal effect. So, I'm cutting back slowly instead of all at once. Thought I'd share this just in case you experience it.
 
My husband travels a lot. He is supposed to go out of town March 30 - 31. That will be 3 wks postop. Do you think I should have someone help me or spend the night? For some reason I don't want to be by myself yet. Maybe when that time comes though, I will be ok.
 
I'm 3 weeks post op now. My husband went back to work last Monday. I'm on my own during the day, but he makes sure I always have someone pop in sometime. Plus he texts me regularly. I'm lucky he's here at night, I don't think I would want to be alone, especially when I'm getting in and out of the shower. ( for some reason I always feel a bit light headed when I get out the shower, and even my face turns pale. Don't know why? I blame the medication)


RTHR February 22, 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom