THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question hippies. I noticed that I am getting a sporadic rash on my back. It is due to always laying on my back. What do you use to prevent the rash from spreading and getting worse? I have used vasoline.
 
@Rutabaga glad you are getting your staples out on Monday. My concern is if I should cover it to protect it. I know you can still get an infection even after staples are removed. My incision looks good now; no redness, seeping etc. just a pinching sensation.
 
@Rutabaga glad you are getting your staples out on Monday. My concern is if I should cover it to protect it. I know you can still get an infection even after staples are removed. My incision looks good now; no redness, seeping etc. just a pinching sensation.

I would think that when you go in on Monday you will receive instruction on if it needs to be covered and how to prevent infection, etc. If not I would definitely ask someone when you are there!
 
@Rutabaga I discontinued the squats. I mentioned to pt that I didn't feel comfortable doing a few of the exercises he had me doing. I wonder if there is a book of exercises one can do after hip replacement
 
I wonder if there is a book of exercises one can do after hip replacement
If there was it would be a very short book! :heehee: So many PT ask THR patients to do silly exercises like squats, bridging and clam shells. None of these exercises do anything specific to your THR. They are core stability exercises that will help strengthen your lower back.

All new hips really need is walking. Start with walking half the distance you think you can do. Some people count the number of houses they pass in their neighbourhood. Then when are totally confident with that distance, increase it slightly. Take any walking aides with you until you feel totally confident on your feet. Ice and elevate when you get home.

A stationary bike is also good for a new hip but you should not use one until you are released from any restrictions by your OS. Most surgeons ask patients to use the bike with no resistance for the first 3 months.
 
@Arlene56 - You are lucky you're getting your staples out on Monday. I'm not getting mine out until the following Monday! It seemed like a long time to wait so I called the OS' office and asked if a visiting nurse could do it sooner than that. I'll hear back about that on Tuesday. I know it felt so great to get them out for my hip #1 - no more pinching sensations!

Is the swelling the same for you? Mine is still there but a bit less. I'm glad you're happy with your PT. But sorry that annoying nurse made a return visit on her broomstick!

Sounds a bit heart wrenching with what your daughter is going through right now. Perhaps it will just take her some more time to find a comfy niche? I know when my niece first went off to college she would have tearful conversations with her mom about how miserable she was, how superficial the girls were, etc. I was so worried about her. But when I asked how she was a few months later my sister-in-law said she was super happy and loved college! Hope this is the case with your daughter as well. Meanwhile, hang in there. She'll find her way. :console2:

Hope your weekend is going well! :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo The swelling is getting better. Today I definitely feel an improvement in my swelling and walking. Tried walking with a cane today around the house. Did ok. Are you using a walker? I still feel stable with the walker.

Looking forward to getting the stitches out. Still have to be careful though with the incision.

Our daughter will find her way. I think she is interested in YWAM which is Youth For a Mission. They can choose what part of the world they want to serve and in what capacity. I guess this is a good thing for kids to do right before college. Assignments are between 3 and 9 months. Maybe she can 'find' herself while serving God and others.

Enjoy the rest of your wkend. :flwrysmile:
 
@Rutabaga - My #2 surgery was March 8, 2016. I try to post my recovery day # with my update posts. Didn't do a signature. Sorry. Will have to do that sometime!
 
13 days postop. I think I over did it today. Walked a lot and took a shower. My leg is heavy and sore. The incision hurts as well. No seeping which is good. Just tender. Tomorrow staples removed. Kind of nervous about that as i hope it doesn't hurt much. :groan:
 
@Arlene56 Having staples removed is kind of a funny pinching sensation, but trust me - after what you have just gone through, it's not painful :tada:
 
Hope the staple removal goes smoothly. Reading your posts reminded me of my first few weeks, I was amazed how much I slept! I would literally close my eyes for a "second"'and wake up two hours later! But I just went with the flow! Take care of yourself!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Day 13 - Got my stitchEs removed today !' It wasn't bad at all. Was a bit apprehensive but stood strong. It was so good to get outside today as its been 2 wks since my last outing.

I did feel like I was going to pass out while at Drs office. So they gave a banana and some OJ. That helped.

Took xrays of new hip. The Doctor said everything looks good. He said I have healthy bones and won't need my other hip done. He said I shouldn't need to get this hip replaced again.

I was starving after the Drs, so my Husband and I stopped at a different place. They make the best homemade pretzels. My pretzel was very light. Not heavy. The pretzel had cheese lightly sprinkled on it. It was sooo good. My husband had a pretzel wrapped around a polish sausage with cheese. That looked yummy. :hugzz:

So I came home to just lay down for an hour. Well I slept 2 hrs. I still feel like I can sleep more. Even typing this post my eyes are heavy and I fall asleep. Haven't done much in walking today. :oyvey:But tomorrow is PT so I will be moving a lot. I hope we can walk outside tomorrow as it is supposed to be 64• .

Thanks for reading. Hope all my BS friends are doing ok today. :flwrysmile:
 
@jomarie58 thank you for your kind words. Hope your recovery is going well. Yes it's amazing how much sleep I have been needing lately. I usually get up around 2am and can't fall back to sleep. So I just start reading BS.

How is your recovery going?
Well have a blessed evening !!
 
Hi @Arlene56 I'm sorry your daughter isn't happy with her college situation. It sounds like she has plenty of great activities to keep her busy including storm chasing - wow! But even with all those activities, it's got to be hard losing all those roommates. Hopefully she can find another. It sounds like she is just a little lonely and would like someone to hang out with. I hope things gets easier for her. It's hard when our kids are unhappy.

I'm glad to hear your pain level is low. The dry skin is very normal and could last quite awhile. Mine lasted for probably 8 weeks or so. I had read that it's caused by the anesthesia. I don't know if that's really the cause or not but I know many of us on BS have experienced it. And the hair thinning/falling out as well. Rest assured it's just temporary and will go back to normal.

Overall, it sounds like you are having a good recovery. Keep up the great work!:)
 
I have noticed that my hair is falling out somewhat? Is this normal?
My hair has been falling out for the last few months. I did read that anti-inflammatory drugs can cause it but stress is another factor to consider. Since I have both its hard to know which one to blame. I just pray to heaven when all of this is over I will have a decent head of hair again. It does get me down
 
@Hipster Girl Hello. How is your recovery coming along? The weather here in Chicago is supposed to be good tomorrow. Im going to venture out walking up and down our driveway.

Thanks for your kind words with dealing with our daughter. She will find her way. Hopefully she will soon.

Have a nice evening
 
Hello Hippy friends. Have a question. My surgeon recommended having 8 wks of therapy 3 times a wk. Our insurance is not good for this as I will be billed $40 per visit. That's $120 a wk for a grand total of $960. Would this be worth it? I guess if our insurance was better I wouldn't give this a second thought. Just wondering. Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom