THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you try it and see how it works for you or do you have to commit to the whole thing?
 
PT didn't help me at all. I have seen many accounts here and on other forums of people who were injured in PT. Other people say that it was a great help to them. Here is my experience, admittedly not a common one! I was told by my orthopedic surgeon not to start out-patient physical therapy until after 6 weeks, and even then, it was optional. I chose to do it starting at 7 weeks since I couldn't walk unaided at that time (and since I didn't have to pay anything), but I fear it may have been an awful mistake for me, since I never did gain the ability to walk unaided. I am 8 months post-op and have been diagnosed with torn gluteal tendons/muscles in my surgical leg which are causing the limp/pain. I need surgery to repair them. It is very possible that I injured and/or kept re-injuring them during that PT. It is also possible that my gluteals were in such bad shape before the PT that they weren't hurt more during it, I don't know. Best of luck with your decision!
 
@Zelda I think what I will do is try some sessions. Maybe they can show me some things that I could do on my own at the gym. Thanks for your input. Hope you have a good day!
 
The more I read about PT, the more I don't want to do it! As for me, I'm not going to go the PT route UNLESS I can't walk after my next THR. As long as I'm seeing good progression by just walking and no PT, I'm not going to take a chance of ending up with any additional problems as @Krista mentioned.
 
@Krista thanks for your input. You have been through some issues with your hip and muscles. I hope you are doing better. I think I am going to try a few sessions and see how it goes. Our insurance changed this year. We pay more for less coverage. Oh well. Don't get me started. :gaah:

Hope you enjoy your day. Our weather here in Chicago is nice today. However, tomorrow we are supposed to get some snow. Our summer weather usually doesn't start until June.
 
@Arlene56 My surgeon is pretty conservative and he prescribed 6 weeks of PT 2x per week. My PT who is even more conservative recommended 2x per week for 8 weeks. Maybe ask your surgeon if you could cut your PT sessions to 2 times per week instead of 3, or start with 2 days per week and increase to 3 if necessary.

The Doctor said everything looks good. He said I have healthy bones and won't need my other hip done. He said I shouldn't need to get this hip replaced again.
That is great news! :happydance:
 
I'm seeing a physio every two weeks and haven't been given anything other than gentle moves and stretches to do. I find it quite useful for measuring progress but it sounds nothing like some of the quite aggressive exercises others seem to have!
 
Arlene, sounds like a good idea, to start with a few and see how it goes! I am in a suburb of Chicago, so your weather is my weather! Lots of rain tomorrow, and then snow later tomorrow night? Sigh. I went out today and bought a pair of slip-on shoes to wear after my next surgery. I will be so much better prepared this time than last. Hope your day is a good one, too!
 
@Krista what type of slip on shoes did you purchase? What hospital are you going to for surgery? I went to Central DuPage Northwestern with the Drs from Rush. These Drs perform surgeries at Rush in Chicago and at Central DuPage. It's so nice to know that you are close by. I live in Crystal Lake
 
@ccarol I chatted with the Dr today. He said to just play it by ear as far as how often I would like to go. According to my insurance, I have more covered inhome health care pt. So I may just try and get home health care to extend my sessions for a few more weeks.

I hope you are doing well Carol
 
@Zelda So you go to PT every other week. That is a great option as well. I think it would be beneficial to stretch everything out.
Have a good evening!
 
@Arlene56, I got Skechers "Relaxed Fit: Breathe Easy - Good Life" slip-ons. I can get them on and off fairly easily just by wiggling my feet into them. I may need a long-handled shoehorn, too. I don't know which hospital I will be going to yet, since I am still in the process of being assessed for exactly what will need to be done. I am very anxious to get things going, as I hurt more and more all the time, and my "good" leg is having issues, too, from overcompensating. I have heard very good things about the hospital where you had your THR done and the Rush docs!

I live in Westmont, about 50 miles from you, and it's nice to be so close to you! Wishing you a good night. You are two weeks out now, and I hope your recovery keeps going well!
 
@Arlene56 i couldn't get my Skechers on to come home from hospital my foot was so swollen. I bought these on sale at Walmart ($9) they have adjustable Velcro on the top, and an orthotic insole. They've been amazing, I've just about lived in them this last month
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<
    image.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 187
@Krista Wow. Westmont. That isn't too far!! Your shoes sound comfy. I've seen those advertised on TV. I have a pair of mocassins that I use that have a lot of comfort and stability.

Do you have a lot of family that lives close to you?

Let me know when you know more about the specifics of your surgery.

Have a good evening!!
 
@Simplieme Love the look of those shoes! Especially pink! They look really comfy. My feet are still swollen. So I don't know if I should buy a new pair now or wait until my foot is back to normal?

Hope you are doing well.
 
They adjustable so you just tighten them up when the swelling goes down!

I'm doing much better - started learning to listen to my body ! How are you ?


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Arlene56, I will let you know about the specifics when I know. I can't wait! My husband is with me, of course, and he is a huge help. And my sister, who is a retired nurse, lives in the house next door. She has been a rock through all of this, supporting me in so many ways. We bought that house last year and fixed it up for her. In fact, it was when I was working on the house a year ago that I slipped on a wet spot and really wrenched my knee on my "good" leg. Had to call 911 and get an ambulance ride to the ER because I couldn't get up. It was having to use the other leg for support while trying to get around that caused the bone-on-bone OA to rear its ugly head. Had my THR five months later.

Your moccasins sound wonderful, so comfy and roomy. I hope my Skechers won't be too tight for me after the surgery. I had swelling for my THA, but not in my feet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Simplieme Adjustable shoes sound like they would be a good idea. I think I will get online and look.

I am doing well. Listening to my body as well. I noticed my leg wasn't that swollen this am. My hip doesn't seem as swollen either. I was walking around the house today using a cane. It felt pretty good.

It truly is amazing though to not have hip pain. Monday when I had to go to Dr, it was so nice not to be in pain getting myself into the car or having to physically pick up my leg to get it into the car. Truly amazing.

I learned that my surgeon used a fairly new instrument on me that he and a few other Drs designed. It's some sort of instrument that helps with the proper alignment of the femur and prosthetic. He has only used it 40 times and he said it has worked perfectly in all patients. My husband went with me to the Drs. which I am happy about as I really don't remember much of what was being said. I was so shaky and light headed that day. Geez.

How has your recovery been? Don't you just love this forum? It is so helpful

We'll have a good evening and it was great chatting with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom