THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@keepmovin thanks for input. I have small chair or bench I will put into shower. That's a good idea. My plan is to try and take a shower tomorrow.
Is it normal to have a lot of aches and pains? My lower back aches today like premenstrual aches. I hope that is all it is. I hope I didn't twist without knowing about it. Well there goes my thinking .... Stay positive stay positive
:thumb:
 
@Cynthia777 I lost about 15 pounds before surgery. I left the hospital after THR 12 pounds heavier than when I went in. :tantrum: It's just temporary. My husband has made some good meals but I haven't been in the mood to eat. But I do try and have abit of what he makes.

Have a good evening Cynthia
 
Congrats on the wright loss!!! The water retention must be something awful with this surgery. I'll bet you're 20 plus pounds lighter this time next month. :-)
 
I had been losing weight pre-op but now I'm just trying not to put on too much back on from the forced inactivity. I think as soon I as I can walk about properly the dieting will start to have effect again.
 
@Zelda Weight issues have always been a sore spot with me. I don't think I have ever been happy with my body. But making healthy choices are important

This lack of exercise is hard as well. I have always been active-walking 60 min 4-5 times a wk and long bike rides on weekends. Looking forward to getting outside.
 
Today has been kind of an emotional day. Just going to vent for abit. Sorry friends.

Took shower this am. My husband wrapped me in Saran Wrap. The shower felt good even though I was abit shakey. I mentioned to my husband that he should stay close by. Well he didn't. I had to call for him 4 times as he took the towels. Since he is working out of the house this wk, he is always on the phone. I don't have a problem with that as that is part of his job. I asked him why he didn't stay close and he said he had work to do. I am getting the feeling that he is expecting me to do more for myself. He gets so impatient with me. So we kind of got into a disagreement.

So when the nurse came today at noon, I was laying in bed. I usually am downstairs when she comes. I was tired so I just stayed upstairs. So the first thing the nurse says is "have you been in bed this whole morning?" I said no as I was extra tired and wanted to stretch my back out. Nothing like getting the third degree.

She then asks me how often I ice. I say almost 24/7 as that is what I was told in hospital. So she proceeds to tell me that over icing is bad.

Before she leaves she says "time to get moving. You can take a nap in the afternoon for 1 hr. In the morning, no naps. You need to move every hour and not sit around. Ice 20 min at a time. "

I guess the hard about this whole process is that it is a process. One you can't force. A process that is hard to navigate at times. My husband made a comment that I was moving with a lot of apprehension and not with confidence. Well that is how I have moved for so long. I just can't snap my fingers and walk smoothly without hindrances. It will take time.

Going through this process is also lonely. People don't understand what you go through. Some think you should just "suck it up". Well that is not so easy as we on BS know.

I am just so very thankful for Bonesmart. Someone is always there with encouragement.

Have a blessed evening my BS friends
 
Wow! Your nurse sounds like Madam Gestapo! There is absolutely nothing wrong with you laying down in the morning! You are very early in your recovery and believe me when I say it's quite normal for you to be walking the way you are. Many don't understand that beyond the physical recovery that takes place, there are also aalso emotional and confidence issues that we must navigate through. You hang in there young lady and don't let anyone boss you around (you can listen to your body, where others can't)!

On a funny note...when I read "my husband wrapped me in "Saran Wrap", I got the funniest visual of you wrapped from head to toe (instead of just your hip) in Saran Wrap! :rofsign:
 
@Arlene56 Sometimes I wish that one of the things you receive after leaving the hospital is your own guardian angel to take home with you and that's the only person you have to listen too 24/7!:angel: I guess weather we like it or not, life is going on around us and husband's and nurses just don't want to deal with our emotions!

Which is why we have the Bonesmart guardian angels! You can vent all you want and no one is here to judge! :cry:

Hang in there! Tomorrow will be a brighter day!:SUNsmile:

?? Saran Wrap? I must be missing something..... :flabber:
 
Going through this process is also lonely. People don't understand what you go through. Some think you should just "suck it up". Well that is not so easy as we on BS know.

This comment made me cry a little. :sad: Hang in there, it will get better.
The nurse sounds like she needs to take a :chillpill:. What's wrong with resting when your body is giving you the signal that you need to do so?

:console2:
 
It's hard to rely on someone else like this. I know sometimes I am asking for help and sometimes rejecting it grumpily (for the very same thing!) because I want to try and be independent. My husband instinctively feels that exercise cures all ills and is finding it hard to accept that right now it's just not possible.

Your nurse sounds a bit of a battle-axe. Stick to doing what feels right for you!
 
This comment made me cry a little. :sad: Hang in there, it will get better.
The nurse sounds like she needs to take a :chillpill:. What's wrong with resting when your body is giving you the signal that you need to do so?

:console2:
I will always listen to my body. I don't think this nurse will be my regular nurse
 
@Arlene56, you were treated badly today. Your husband should not have left you alone for any reason. I used a seat in my tub for a full 6 weeks after my THR, as there was no way that I could have stood up in there, and for the first several weeks my husband was close by, even though I was sitting down throughout. I was VERY shaky, and that's just the way it was. You are how you are, whether other people think that's ok or not. I hope you are keeping your head held high, as they were really out of line.

I wouldn't want that nurse around me ever again. Of course, you can lie down whenever you want. You don't have to get up every hour if you don't want to. And icing that often is your prerogative and she shouldn't have been so negative about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Arlene56 - So sorry for your rough day!! I think sometimes people think they're giving you some kind of "tough love" treatment/encouragement but they have NO idea what it's really like, nor what's best for YOU, even if they're professionals.

I hope you can get another more empathetic nurse. If you don't like who comes to your house you can request someone else or end the home service altogether if you prefer. I told myself during hip#1 recovery that if I didn't find the home service helpful I would end it. You're better off taking a nap! Thankfully I liked all the home services I got.

I recall you like your PT, right?

I, too first thought you meant you were wrapped in saran wrap from head to toe at first read! I thought wow, early on in recovery to be playing such fun games with your husband! :heehee:

You have to stick with what's best for you. At the hospital, OS and nurses alike laughed at all the pillows I had on my hospital bed. I just let them laugh. I knew what I needed.

As for moving with "apprehension instead of confidence" as your husband commented, what is to be expected on Day 8 after major sawing, hammering surgery? Let him watch a you tube video of the operation and right afterwards ask you to do some Irish step dancing! Sorry, getting carried away here with empathy for you. :console2:I'm sure he is feeling he's doing the tough love thing......

Anyway I'm glad you got your shower. Hope it felt good in spite of the fact you had to yell 4 times for towels.

I was so happy to find Bonesmart because I knew I'd have a community of support and understanding. I only know one person in my life who's had joint replacement and she lives far away and we're not close anymore. Sometimes I feel when I tell people about it who are unfamiliar with joint replacement, they think I'm sort of a Bride of Frankenstein. :yikes:

Hope you have a better evening and an even better day tomorrow! :flwrysmile:
 
Awe just read your post here. I'm so sorry you've had such a bad time. I'm glad someone explained the Saran Wrap, as I couldn't see the point of having a shower if you were covered in that stuff.
Because of my job, I understand that caregiver stress is very under estimated, and I try to allow for that, but it isn't easy - we are very vulnerable after such intense surgery, both physically and mentally.
You rest as much as you need to honey, never mind anyone else.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom