THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arlene56
I'm so glad you went!!! Keep up with all the prunes, etc. and yes, the milk of magnesia really helped. My home nurse advised that I only take it if I go 2 days without going bc it'll cause diarrhea. And I'm still sleeping in my recliner and think I will be until my 6 week appt. because the same precautions apply til then. And I just can't sleep in bed on my back. Feel good:).
 
@sandyx7 it did feel good. Now the nurse doesn't have to come tomorrow and give me a enema. :yay:

I had pt today for the first time. Session went but tiring. He had me walk upstairs and step into shower. I am kinda nervous about the shower. Maybe I will wait until tomorrow.
Have been icing 24/7.

Question-my incision has leaked a very small amount. Should I be worried about that?
 
I feel your pain with the constipation @Arlene56!
Pre-op I would usually have 2 BMs a day! Now I've had only 3 in 10 days! yikes. I have been eating 5 prunes a day for the last 2 weeks but I don't think it's making a difference. Also have been taking stool softener x3 pills a day since surgery. Finally had the husband go to the pharmacy for a solution last night. I told him to get milk of magnesia but he said he couldn't find it so he got Miralax instead. I took it with some chocolate milk. Had a BM late last night. I was in the bathroom for about 30 minutes! Not a fun experience! :groan:

I think the incision leaking some fluid or blood is totally normal. Unless it's soaking your bandage it is not a problem. That's what my surgery team told me at least.
 
@Rutabaga thanks for your help. I am going to use the Miralax with chocolate milk. Good idea. Everything is so good when you can have chocolate :heehee:. I had physical therapy today at home. He was able to move my operated leg clear to the side while I was laying down. I have never been able to do that. I just started crying as I was so happy. :happydance:My groin muscle didn't even hurt. Wow. Just totally life changing
Have a good wkend!!
 
Day 4 - woke up and did abit of walking. I should try a shower but I don't have much confidence right now. I noticed that my left knee is swollen today. One of the stiches is pulling a bit so I am gingerly walking etc

Last night I washed my hair with the help of my husband in the kitchen sink. Felt good to wash my hair.

Question-how soon can one take a shower? I have a waterproof bandage. One small area of the incision is seeping just a tad bit. So I am nervous about showering. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone
 
Question-how soon can one take a shower?
Did they give you any guidance before you left the hospital? If you have a waterproof dressing you should be able to shower. Don't let water run directly on the dressing. The biggest issue is are you confident on your feet? If not, wait a bit or have hubby or someone nearby just in case.
noticed that my left knee is swollen today
Ice and elevate.
 
@Arlene56 if you have a waterproof dressing, you should be fine to shower but you might want to put a plastic covering over the bandage while you shower. Do you have a shower seat? If not, you can put your 3-in-1 commode in the shower and sit on it while you shower. That's what I did, and it was so helpful to have the arms for support. You could also get some of those body cleansing wipes to use in between showers.

I am so happy for you that you were able to move your operated leg to the side during PT...woot! :yay:
 
@Arlene56 - how did you manage with the hair washing at kitchen sink? Did you lean forward while standing or sit with your back to the sink? Would love to know because if I can't manage a shower I'll at least need a hair wash.
 
@Jaycey no the hospital did not show us how to get in and out of bathtub and shower. I am not comfortable with this yet.
 
@Arlene56 I purchased a tub transfer bench, which allowed me to sit down on the edge of it while outside the tub, then turn (while sitting) and then get my legs over (needed husband's help with this for awhile), and then sit on it while taking a shower. I didn't manage to get a shower or hair wash until my 9th day, as I was just too out of it and too weak. I couldn't really lift my surgical leg over the tub and stand up without holding on while take a shower until at least 6 weeks. I know I was slower than most, but I didn't rush things, never felt unsafe in the shower, and it worked for me. Here's a pic of the bench. The open side sits outside of the tub and the other side is inside. You can adjust it so the seat back is on either side.

[Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<
 
@Miss Muffet I bent over the sink while my husband wet my hair. It wasn't that bad. I wasn't dizzy. But he got water all over the kitchen floor etc. I am kinda OCD when it comes to cleanliness. :loll:

Actually it's driving me nuts seeing things not put away around here.
:rotfl:
 
@Krista that seat looks exactly what I need. My husband bought some suction cup safety handles to put on the wall of the shower. They didn't last long at all. So I don't know what to do.
 
Day 4 continued-all I have been wanting to do today is sleep. I was reading a book and BAM fell asleep. I feel like I should be doing more walking but I am so tired today. It's probably due to lack of sleep preop.
I did climb the stairs last night and slept in bed. It wasn't that bad. I don't mind sleeping on my
back. I don't know if I should try and sleep on my side. ???

Time for me to walk 5 laps around the house.
 
@Arlene56 I got mine at a local pharmacy that also sells medical equipment. Or rather, I asked my sister to go pick it up for me, when it became obvious that I couldn't get into the tub any other way. They sell them on Amazon for cheaper than what I spent at the local place. They also sell shower chairs, which fit into tubs. They are smaller and cheaper and I have one of those, too. I needed to be able to easily transfer into the shower which is why I used the transfer bench, but if you can get help to get in, then perhaps all you need is a shower/tub seat. This one costs about $20.

[Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<
 
Maybe you can take, what my father used to call, a marine bath? Well pad your bathroom floor (at the sink) with a couple of towels to stand on and wash away. I had hubby buy an allergic free baby foaming body wash (just in case rinsing didn't wash away all the soap) and I used sopping wet wash cloths to cleanse and used a fresh soaked hand towel to rinse with. This worked very well the first few days home, before I was released to shower. As @Hipster Girl mentioned, you can tape a plastic covering (like a Baggie) over the incision so it doesn't get wet. Also, the transfer bench that @Krista has would work very well. I've read where other members swear by it.
 
@Arlene56, I can't imagine walking around outside of my house even once when I was only 4 days out of surgery! That is the day I returned home from the hospital. I didn't do any walking at all that wasn't necessary for about a month. There is an enormous amount of healing that is trying to happen in your hip and thigh. In my opinion, rest is what is needed now, not extra walking. With enough rest and sleep, the healing will happen and you will be able to easily do the walking, but not so soon! Eeeck!
 
What type of shower do you have? Over the bath or a walk-in shower?

The suction handles work but only if you get the more expensive type from a medical supply place.

Are you using a walker? Crutches? These can be taken into the shower with you if they fit.
 
Btw...I really didn't want to walk that first week either, so I only walked to the bathroom and from my family room to my "Lady Lair" when retiring. I didn't start my walking program until the second week and it worked out well for me. :-)
 
@Josephine i have a question for you. I don't see where the pain meds I am on is giving me relief. I am still experiencing stiffness but that is only temporary. Below are the drugs I am taking:
Colace 100 2xs day
Norco 5-325 1 or 2 tablets every 4 hrs
OxyContin-10mg 1 every 12 hrs
Protonix 40 mg 1 tablet 1 hr before breakfast
Glycol ax 17 g once a day
Coumadin 5 mg once a day

The Oxy makes me loopy and diZzy.
Any help would be appreciated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom