Guest viewing is limited

THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
They took my IV out the day I was leaving the hospital (3 days) because my WBC count was really high, so they loaded me up with antibiotics and wouldn't release me until it came down. Until the complication, they were sending me home the day after surgery because I was doing so well. I was very disappointed. :-(

Did they say they're sending you home today?
 
PS....I don't think they'll keep you because you haven't had a bm, but they may if they can't stabilize your blood pressure.
 
@Cynthia777. I am not going home today. They need to level my bp.

Did it feel like a horse kicked you in the backside ?? I don't know if this is pain or just being uncomfortable. Not sure if u should get more pain Meds. They give me pain meds every 6 hrs.

I am trying to figure out if the stiffness and uncomfortableness is a reason for more pain meds??

Guess I need some help with this.
 
@Arlene56 There can be a "gap" in pain management between the time they remove the IV and when they start oral meds. Pain meds every 6 hours does not sound like enough just post op. Ask for more! Stiffness and discomfort are indeed post op pain.

Ask for ice. It will reduce the swelling which is causing the discomfort. Hang in there! Getting your pain management cocktail just right is your focus for now. Do not be afraid to say "I need more"!
 
I agree with Jaycey! I made sure I received my pain meds every FOUR hours and I didn't experience any discomfort. I also made sure they supplied me with ice and I used it 24/7 while in the hospital. I never had any swelling, nor bruising, so I never needed the ice at home. Make sure they keep you VERY comfortable! You will be able to have a quicker recovery if you aren't experiencing any pain or discomfort. This worked very well for me. I wish I lived close by, so I could stop by and play some gin rummy to help you pass the time. :-)
 
@Jaycey thank you for the info. I will ask if I can have more pain meds Yesterday I was receiving some sort of pain meds every 4 hrs.
Also since my blood pressure is low do you think I should avoid the commode or Just using a bed pan?
 
@Jaycey - I asked nurse what I was receiving.
Norco 2 every 6 hrs
Oxy extended release - every 12 yrr
Prescription Advil 1 every 4 hrs.
 
@Arlene56 my blood pressure was very low for the first 30 hours too. SOOOO frustrating. They wouldn't give me oxycodone or other pain meds because they were afraid it would even drop lower. So your meds may be contributing. (Keep taking them!!! Just know the meds are a part of it too.). I had a nerve block though so they were able to do without opioids until noon the next day!) Thank heavens, and they used a combo of a muscle relaxer and toradol to help but I think it was IV or a shot? I had Torodol after both c-sections too. So much relief without the loopy feeling! If it is an option, I would ask about it.

The BP finally went up when I went to physical therapy. I am sending you sleepy dust from Texas!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Arlene56 - so happy all went smoothly. Hope they get your BP under control soon, am sure that will make a big difference to how you feel. Will be watching out for updates. Well done!
 
Also since my blood pressure is low do you think I should avoid the commode or Just using a bed pan?
Just listen to your body. If you are feeling light headed move very slowly and don't be afraid to push back if staff want you up and about. This will ease - just give it time.
 
@Arlene56 so glad everything went smoothly. Low blood pressure seems to be pretty common after this procedure. Mine lasted a few days before finally returning to normal. The pain medication seems to contribute to it. Glad your bp is starting to increase - that's a good sign.
 
@Arlene56 I bet the BP issue will resolve soon! The surgical pain was very different from the sharp pain before surgery. My post-surgical pain always felt like stiffness, tightness, and general discomfort. Like I just can't get settled into a comfortable spot! Have your meds caught up? The strategic use of pillows and continuous use of ice will help! :loveshwr:

Even now, my 'pain' moments feel like I cannot find a comfortable spot.... And not pre-surgical painful! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Arlene56, I'm so glad you made it to the other side. Six hours sounds like a long time to me. They gave me something every two hours. They alternated oxy with tramadol. When I get anxious my blood pressure drops. I can shift it by deep breathing. Many people here experience low blood pressure after their surgery. I bet it will stabilize as you heal. The first three days are the worst. The ice makes a big difference, too. I hope you are getting enough sleep, and that you're eating. Take care...
 
Thank goodness you got some sleep! Hopefully they've managed to give you adequate pain control. Are you using ice? Ice is a great pain reliever and most post-op members swear by it. The hospital gave me a pillowcase with a giant Baggie filled with ice inside and I used it 24/7. Hopefully you will be able to sleep most of the day today, so you can regain some of your strength. Hang in there...this too shall pass. Hugs Arlene!
 
@Toddlermom thanks for advice. It's been hard resting today as I had pt, occupational therapy, a few doctors etc. atill have some dizziness but that's to be expected. Icing 24/7

I think they want me to leave today. Not sure I want to. Don't know what to do about that. The Dr said that if I still have dizziness maybe should wait until tomorrow. But they had me put on my clotheS. So I sitting here in my street clothes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom