THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
That dizziness is worrisome. Is your blood pressure low? Hope the dizziness goes away and stays away! I do think it is impossible to rest while in a hospital. Hope you don't have to go home until you feel ready.
 
Arlene, I hope the dizziness resolves and you can get home. Don't be surprised if you do a lot more sleeping during the day, pretty much all I did was ice, eat and sleep!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Cynthia777 @jomarie58 -getting discharged soon. I am ready to go home. Walked 2xa today and did stairs. Dressed myself etc. I have a waterproof bandage on my incision. When home health care comes tomorrow they will help me with talking a shower. That will feel so good. A
 
Wishing you a steady, safe and healthy recovery @Arlene56. It will be so refreshing to get that first soothing, warm shower when we get home! It's nice you have a waterproof bandage on the incision! I, too, had the low BP. It took a couple of days for it to come back up to a safe level. At one point, it read 79/50..something! I felt fine, though. No dizziness!:umm:

Go slow once home, listen to your hip and you will have a smooth recovery!
 
Day 3 slept throughout night. Nurses came in every 2-4 hours to check vitals. My husband stayed with me as well In my room. THe nurses didn't see him and would often wake him up with their voices. Kinda felt sorry for him. He is a trooper though.

Not much of an appetite. But I make myself eat at least some sort of protein.

My Dr doesn't have his patients wear those TEDs. I take a blood thinner instead. But I may and go get some TeDs just to use for precautions ? What do you all think ?

Also I still haven't had a bm. This is going on 5 days. Been eating prunes and take Miralax. Maybe today will be the day.

Was discharged today. Feels good to be home. My husband rearranged the family room for me. He also built a 2.5 in wood frame to put under our recliner. It did the trick.

Guess my concern now would be my lack of having a bm. Any suggestions out there?
 
@keepmovin your blood pressure was really low. One of my readings was 71/42. Good thing a chair was available. Yikes. Scared

Bonesmart is just so informative. Just love how much encouragement you receives.

God Bless you all-
 
I'm not sure how much the TEDs really help. My surgeon doesn't have his patients wear them either but the rehab center does so I just continued to wear them when I got home. They're impossible to put on by yourself so you will probably need your husband help you if you decide to get them. I think those compression pumps that tighten and release, and alternate legs, are better for blood clots. And the blood thinner is important.

As for the bm, maybe get a box of Fiber One bars - those really seem to do the trick. And lots of fruits and veggies and water - stay well hydrated.

Glad to hear you are home. Sounds like your husband made the family room very hip patient friendly and comfy. I'm sure it must feel good to be in your own environment. Hope you have a good healing day today @Arlene56 :SUNsmile:
 
:flwrysmile: Hi Fellow Hipster! @Arlene56 !! I'm glad you're home now. So am I ! Doesn't it feel good? Seems like besides a few blips (THR is never blip free I guess), you are doing excellently - moving around, etc.

I was fine right after surgery that first day, moved a lot and ate well. Day#2 I got dizzy when starting to walk in PT and thought I'd faint so they put me back in bed. Blood pressure was kind of low. I got very sick soon after with vomiting (in the bucket, always make it to the bucket.) Strange, because I wasn't nauseous like last time but only a bit woozy. After that I lost my appetite. Slept off and on and did PT with walker. Actually felt better to move, although I think this surgery cut into more soft tissue so there's definitely more extensive pain than last time.

As for the constipation, I didn't have it. With both surgeries I was prescribed senokot/senna(?) which I think is kind of an herbal type stool softener, not sure. But it worked really well for me with no cramping or anything. I hope this problem is over for you by now, but if not, maybe ask your dr for the prescription. I think it's hard to ease constipation with foods when you are less active in recovery and also don't have much of an appetite.

Your husband is a sweet trooper sleeping in the hospital room with you with the nurses bustling about, building a frame for the recliner and rearranging the family room for you. :yes:

Have a good day today and rest, rest, rest in your own sweet home.
 
@Arlene56, I also had problems in the bm area. This was unusual for me so I didn't prepare myself for the terrible constipation I had.:sigh: What helped me is this: Miralax mixed in with 'warm' prune juice, stewed prunes and a stool softener (active ingredients: docusate sodium, 50 mg; seinnosides, 8.6 mg.), lots of water, increased salad, fruit intake (fiber). I also drink a healthy shake in the morning: a banana, greek yogurt, flax seed, walnuts, spinach and fruit! After a few days of all this, relief!!:happydance:

I paired back the stool softener, then eliminated the Miralax and now just continue with a healthy diet which includes a lot of fiber and water, still the stewed prunes and 'warm' prune juice!

Hope this helps! :wink:
 
@Arlene56, Your husband sounds really sweet. I didn't have a bm for several days after the surgery, either. Stool softeners, prunes, pears, salads, and patience did the trick. This surgery is hard on the body. I felt like my stools had gotten compacted. It frightened me at first, but everything worked out fine.
 
@Arlene56

Home sweet home! I remember how happy I was to finally be settled in my "Lady Lair". Here's to an easy and speedy recovery!

Once I got home and hadn't had a bm for about four or five days (I did have one bm in the hospital), I used a couple of glycerin suppositories to get things moving again and it did the trick. After that I would take one Colace pill at bedtime as needed (still do on occaision because I'm still taking the Percocet for my unop hip), which worked beautifully. Hope this helps.
 
@Arlene56
I hope you're feeling good. I had low blood pressure for a while after surgery. And I had the worst bathroom problems. They had me on Senna plus, a laxative and a softener and I went 3 days and I added milk of magnesia. I finally went after the milk of magnesia. I only took the mom once and then I got bad constipation right away again.going was like giving birth, pushing so hard. That caused me to bleed and then I freaked out. I then got diarrhea after eating eggplant parm. Apparently too rich. I'm 2 weeks out and I'm still not myself. I'm weaning myself from the Percocet bc I know it's caused all my issues. We will be better!!
 
@sandyx7 does the milk of magnesia help? I have been eating prunes, drinking water as well. They gave me still softener, plus I take Colace and Miralax. I feel some commotion down there so it must be getting ready:yes:

I worry about if I have to push hard if it will damage my stitches.

Hope you are enjoying your day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom