THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arlene56 - Besides the ice mat, I have several smaller gel packs in the freezer I can rotate. They are easier (and quieter) than an ice maker. I find when I wake up that if I move around some - walk, change ice packs, use the loo, etc.- my body seems more relaxed when I return to sleep. Staying in one position is uncomfortable and for me the moving around helps me to relax. Of course I also check on Bonesmart and Facebook if I still can't sleep. I told my husband and daughter they will just have to deal with me clattering around at all hours of the night because I wasn't just going to lie there quietly being uncomfortable. They seem to be used to it now especially now that I'm on round #2 of hip surgery.

Hope you're having a good recovery week!
 
@Readysetgo Thank you for your response. I have a few more ice packs that I put in freezer. So I shall be prepared when the ice mat has lost its chill.
This week has been good. I was able to walk for 20 minutes straight which equals 2 laps around the block. Felt really good physically and more importantly mentally.

Yesterday the pt stretched out my thigh. It felt good but now it aches abit. It doesn't ache when I walk just when I sit. I have been icing it today. I would imagine it's just part of the recovery. I do have knee arthritis on the same leg I had hip surgery. I hope they didn't mess up my knee. It has always been stiff though. I am praying that once the swelling is gone, my knee will be in the same condition as preop.

Tomorrow is my last inhome pt. I have outpatient scheduled for once a wk for the month of April. That's all the openings they had Maybe that is a blessing ---taking it easy.

I am not working at the moment. I was a Real Estate Appraiser for 12 years. Able to work out of the home which was perfect. The changed the rules regarding education. They require a 4 yr degree as I have an Associates. So for the past 2 years I have had a few jobs. Worked as a Receptionst in a bank for 8 months. All I did was sit and answer phones. At the same time I worked at a store called J Jill. I loved that job but that's when my hip started its decline. Working 3-6 hrs on my feet was a killer. So I had to quit that job. Then I worked for a home health care company. I always wanted to help the elderly. It was a good job however I was just a cleaning lady. Not what I wanted. Plus after cleaning for 4 hrs my hip was a mess. So after I am all healed, I will be looking for a full time job. I do have connections in the school system so I have a good chance of becoming a Paraprofessional-teachers assistant. So I am
praying that come August, I will be at 5 months, there won't be any swelling

Oh well. Sorry for being long winded.
Hope your recovery is coming along well.
Have a good evening.
 
Rutabaga, Cynthia777 I have a question. Tonight I have lower back ache and on occasion it goes down to me left knee. (THR). Not sure if I over did the walking today or maybe twisted. I am down to .25 of Norco every 4-5 hrs. Just took .25 at 7:45. Don't know what to do. My PT told suggested that I just lay on my bed on my back without any elevation once a day for 20 min or so. That's what I am doing now but my lower back aches. Don't know what to do. I don't want to overreact and be paranoid with aches and pains. I am also taking 600mg of Advil every 8 hrs. Took the last dosage at 4:45. Are we allowed to tag Josephine?
 
@Arlene69 I'm sure you can tag Josephine - just remember she's in the UK and its 3:15am there right now.
Sorry to hear your back is hurting, I well know the feeling. You can take Tylenol and Advil at the same time, that helps. Plus I know she advocates quite a high dose of Tylenol - maybe you can find her recommendations on this site whilst she gets back to you ??
Hope it eases soon :)


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
HI Arlene! I'll tag @Josephine or @Jaycey for you. She's always willing to help with your concerns. Keep in mind you are very early in your recovery and adding a lot of activity is sure to create aches and pains. If you are still limping, as I do, I know this does affect my back. I've also read many posts where members have had pain that radiates to the knee. I would also start using ice wherever you have pain. Remember, slow and steady and if it hurts don't do it. I'm sure Josephine will help you out here.
 
@Arlene56 I think the pain you're having is normal. For me, most of my pain/swelling is in my knee, not my hip. It has been like that since week 3. If you are trying to wean off Norco I would try not to take any extra. I know they say not to take any Tylenol when you're on Norco but since you're at such a low dose I think it would be okay. But if you have any Aleve (naproxen) or Advil (ibuprofen) I would take a double dose of that instead. Also icing your back might help.
 
@Rutabaga @Cynthia777 @Simplieme
Thank you so much for your input. You all are such great help. I am taking .25 Norco every 4-6 hrs and 600 mg of Advil every 8 hrs. I wonder if it is ok to take another dosage of Advil. I'll probably call the nurse tomorrow if my back and hip ache.

You know BS friends are so supportive. I really don't have many friends to chat with about all of this. It's really a lonely recovery, well at least for me. Wish we all lived close by each other. It would be fun getting together for coffee.

Oh well. Thank you again for your concern:console2:
 
@Arlene56 I would not lay flat on your back. Put a pillow under your knees if you are laying on your back. This will ease any lower back pain.

One question, are you wearing shoes that you wore pre-op? If you are, this may be aggravating your back. We recommend buying new shoes to wear post op as wearing shoes with an old wear pattern can cause issues with your gait.
 
@Arlene56
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<

We can have virtual coffee together!

I hope you manage to get some rest and feel better in the morning.
 
Ditto on all the above recommendations @Arlene56 ! Especially the coffee gathering! Looks so delicious!

I, too, have back issues that I have to watch and @Jaycey is right on with the pillows under your leg for support. I used acupuncture in the past and found it so helpful.

Take it easy and have a great weekend!:flwrysmile:
 
@Arlene56 & BS Family
The virtual coffee sounds good but I too would love it if we could all get together for coffee sometime. I know I too, Arlene, would feel very alone without this understanding & supportive group. I have been sleeping with a pillow under my knees & it helps. Hope you will find some comfort with the suggestions here & hope you feel better!
SweetPea69
 
Are we allowed to tag Josephine?
I would be totally gutted if you thought that! It's my job!
I am taking .25 Norco every 4-6 hrs and 600 mg of Advil every 8 hrs. I wonder if it is ok to take another dosage of Advil.
If you want my advice, don't take advil at all! It's an NSAID and very poor pain killer, roughly equivalent to taking vitamin pills! Don't believe all the adverts!

But why are you cutting back on your Norco when you are only 3½weeks out? This is when you need it! When you do come to cutting down - in another 2-3 weeks - use Tylenol not NSAIDs. And read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers.

And you're not doing any PT or exercises are you?

So how about telling me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

Please note the instructions in this smaller image
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<


[Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom