Guest viewing is limited

THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 Hello. I have a question. Had staples taken out on Monday. Wednesday I could take bandage off and let incision air out and dry. Nurse said I could wear bandage during the day if I wanted to protect it. My question is what type of underwear shouldn't I wear? I just want anything to happen to incision. Would like to protect it somehow.
Thanks

I have been wearing the longer style of "boy cut" underwear and it works well. The don't put pressure on the incision and cover a lot of it. (Sorry the pic is so big, I don't know how to resize it)
[Bonesmart.org] My recovery journey<
 
@Arlene56 i totally understand your frustration with advice coming from all directions.
If I were to pick one most important thing I have learned post op, is Listen to your Body!! If you feel blah, then rest, don't push yourself to do things your body isn't ready for.
When I was just out of hospital I spoke to my 6 year old grandson on the phone (he's in the UK) he said to me "Grandma, when your poorly, what you need to do is go to bed and try and sleep" ....... Out of the mouth of babes!!!!!????
 
@Simplieme Yes, out of the mouths of babes. :loll:That's the cutest response.
I have been listening to my body. Have decided that I am going to just concentrate on walking. Went outsider today and boy did it feel good. Now just icing and elevating.
Thanks for your input. Enjoy Easter weekend
 
Hi @Arlene56

Yes, doing ok thanks, especially after becoming more realistic in my expectation, thanks to this Forum. My next physio session is next Tuesday, so I will see what she says

Family stuff this Easter weekend - will bore some more of them with my ukulele playing tomorrow!

Peter
 
Hi @Arlene56
I think all this PT so soon is nonsense. When I had my hips pinned at 12, I spent 3 months in a wheelchair with no physio and no weight bearing allowed......My muscles didn't disappear, sure I was a little weak taking my first steps after 110 days, but my strength came back fast and furious and those hips fared me well for 42 years. Times have changed since 72, however my point is that you will get there, with or without physio.
 
Today is day 18. Can't believe it. Been sleeping well. Today I ventured outside to walk. I walked 1/8th of a mile. Felt so good to be outside. I haven't walked outside like this since October when I broke my ankle. So it felt good.
By the time I finished walking I was a bit light headed. So now I am icing my stiff hip. I might have overdone it.

How long will my hip be stiff? I have noticed that the swelling in my hip is getting better.

My knee is also swollen. I do have arthritis in this knee. My ROM wasn't very good postop. The ROM has improved a bit postop but I think it's being hindered by the knee being swollen.

Hope all are doing well. Happy Easter!!
 
@Arlene56
Hi Arlene, your feeling better puts a smile on our faces! How nice you are sleeping & enjoyed a walk outside today. I don't know but I'm sure swelling is pretty normal. Even though I've had bilateral knee replacements they still swell & hurt some, just not nearly as much as before surgery. The more the doctors can get things aligned the less they will swell & hurt, I think. That old song "The hip bone's connected to the leg bone..." has a lot of truth in it.
Again, so glad you are feeling so good at day 18 & got to go for a walk. Hang in there with your one step, one day at a time. Take care & Happy Easter!
SweetPea69 (AKA Shirley)
 
Hello. Today I couldn't access BS. :shocked: So happy I can access tonight.

I took my last 5 mg is Oxy last night. I did not take any this morning. Around noon today, I started getting the shakes. I am still on 5 mg Narco every 4-6 hrs. My nurse said I would not have withdrawal symptoms since I am still on Norco. Is this normal? I am doing a lot better since around 2 or so.

Thanks for listening
 
@Arlene56
I'm wondering if it's the oxy or if maybe your diet has been different today? Have you had enough protein? I sometimes get those feelings if I don't eat enough protein or don't eat well. Glad you are a little better now.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had BS withdrawal today. We really depend on it, don't we?
Hope you continue to feel better!
SweerPea 69
 
@SweetPea69 Yes, my diet was different yesterday and this morning. I only had 2 meals yesterday as I wasn't that hungry. Then this morning I had granola and yogurt instead of my normal 2 scrambled eggs. So maybe tomorrow am I need to have my eggs.

Yes, we do depend on BS. I don't have any friends that have had this type of surgery so they don't understand. Just depend upon on BS to get me thru this.

Hope you are feeling well. Take care and have a good evening
 
Hi @Arlene56 ! Glad to hear your swelling in the hips has gone down some. It feels good to be outside, doesn't it? I didn't know you had broken your ankle. I hope it healed up okay. I never broke a bone, but I've had sprained ankles (especially when I danced professionally). Absolutely no fun!

I hope your weaning from the meds is going better now. And yes, eat that protein! I'm trying to eat nutritionally very deliberately now as well. It's hard because I don't always have a good appetite to do so. But our bodies do need that now to repair.

I hope you had a lovely, peaceful Easter! And all the best to you for another week of good recovery progress! :)
 
It is so nice to read the stories and chat with others who "get it" isn't it!? I saw you asked about stiffness, I am almost 3 months out and still have problems, usually after I have overdone it! We just need to keep it slow and simple for a while! Grin


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Readysetgo Thanks for your response. I broke my ankle in October. Had to stay off of it for 6 wks. That was rather difficult as I couldn't do much preparation for Christmas. Luckily we didn't have to host Christmas this year.

It was so nice walking outside the past few days. The sunshine feels so good. Pt is coming tomorrow am and we are going to walk a outside.

It's 1:40 am and I can't sleep. I used my new ice mat tonight but it isn't cold anymore. As my
Hubby is asleep downstairs, I don't want to wake him up by using the ice maker. ergg. I think we will have to have the other ice packs left in the freezer for use. Maybe I am apprehensive as he is traveling tomorrow and won't be home until Thursday night. I know I will be ok. I'm just used to having him around.

Well going to try and get some sleep as the Pt will be here in 7 hrs. Thanks for reading my whines. (
 
@jomarie58 Yes, nice and slow and be patient. That's easier said than done at times. I always told our children to not be in such a hurry with things. Guess I should take up my own advice. :heehee:

Hope you are healing well. Have a nice day
 
@Arlene56 Catching up on your thread. I think that stiffness will continue for a while. My op was Feb 11, and I definitely feel stiffness...and a squirmy feeling when I am sooo tired....and yet cannot sleep. However, I am down to Tylenol during the day. Ran out of Tramadol on Easter, and so the past two nights have been uneasy without any prescription pain meds. And here I am ....surfing bone smart from 2-4 am!!!:whistle: Hubby is next to me snoozing away-- luckily he sleeps like the dead!
 
I'm so bummed! I'm not getting my alerts and all the while you girls were having a gay ol time without me! ;-)
Hopefully you're feeling better now Arlene. Isn't it nice to get out in the sunshine? It does wonders for ones mental attitude. Sending you hugs and prayers!
 
@Cynthia777 - I miss stuff too. Makes me feel bad to not be waving my fellow Smarties on, especially when I get so much warm support my way.
Sorry @Arlene56 - but yes, take it steady. Sounds like overall you're actually doing really well. I'm learning that rest, exercise and that magic ice is a great combination and will ensure that is firmly in mind in a couple of weeks' time. Everyone else's threads are so helpful. Hope you have a good day
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom