Guest viewing is limited

TKR My post-op thread

What a sweetheart! I tend to have my pity parties when no one is home but I made the mistake of telling my 23 year old that, so when comes in he always asks how many parties I've had.LOL

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
@tigz. Yeah Im sure we all have those moment. I'm not sure why mine are always late in the evening, I think its combination of pain and exhaustion taking over. It sure is nice to have people there that care about you to help you through those times, and to be able to come on here and know that we're not alone in those moments. this site is such a wonderful support system. it makes all the difference in the world to know that what you're going through is normal and you are not alone
 
Most definitely nice to get support from people who can empathize rather than sympathize! I don't think my family really gets it, and hubby can sleep through anything so I don't think he realizes how restless I get at night.

I remember how cranky my kids were as toddlers in the evening....That's definitely how those first few weeks were, and at even almost eight weeks out I'm feeling it tonight from overdoing it today!
 
Need some help guys, 11 days post op..having a lot of hip pain same side of my knee replacement. Seems to be in the lateral part of the hip, not nerve pain maybe more of a muscle pain. Frustrating because right now it actually bothers me more than my knee. Anyone else experienced this and what can I do to help?
 
Is the hip pain constant, when you're sitting, walking?
 
Well it hurts all the time, probably worse when sitting. I've kinda relocated from the recliner back to my bed. Seems like if I lay on my side it will ease up some, but then I have to switch from side to side cuz after laying on one side for what kind of comes back. Home health physical therapy was here today, she thought it might be a tight IT band. She's going to show me some stretches for it but forgot.
 
Sometimes my hips would hurt in bed at times. I think from being in the same position for too long. Curious to hear what your PT says.
 
Take a look at this article from our BoneSmart Library and see if it describes what you're feeling. It could be the IT band that is giving you hip pain. It also can just be normal post op pain as well. Be sure you are taking your pain medications on a set schedule according to the dosing instructions.

What pain medication(s) are you taking? (name, strength, dosage on label and what you're taking)


Ilio-Tibial Band (ITB) Issues and Treatments
 
The origin of my pain seems to be a little bit more posterior than what is shown in that article. Part of me thinks it's just from laying around too much with the leg elevated, and from sitting so much. I am currently on oxycodone / acetaminophen 5-325 up to 2 tablets every 4 hours I am taking 1 1/2 right now every 4 hrs.
 
Once I started moving a bit more the hip pain never returned. It always occurred while I was in bed, but changing positions helped. You are probably not yet able to change positions while trying to sleep in bed.
 
I wonder if it is sciatica nerve pain. I have been having this pre-op - thinking it is because I walk funny - ugh. There are definitely some exercises for that......
 
Actually, Im getting pretty good at moving/rolling around in bed. I think once I can get up and walk more hopefully it will subside. Just frustrating to have a new pain. Im sure there will be more new pains as I become more ambulatory
 
You will there!!! You just have to - keep telling yourself this is temporary and soon you will be pain free as far as that left knee goes!!! You got this!!
 
My IT bands have been super tight since surgery, and worst the first few weeks when I was in bed a lot. It caused quite a bit of hip pain for me. I got a hand held roller (like a plastic rolling pin almost) and it helps a lot.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, tomorrow is my 1st trip back to OS...1 day shy of 2 weeks, staples should come out Im ready for that! Homehealth PT was here today, said Im doing great, flexion of 100, extension not quite 0 yet, but I was like a 5-7 pre'op, and feel like extension is already better than that. Home health PT says I should be able to start outpatient physical therapy next week. Kind of looking forward to this, but sort of dreading it a little bit too. Because I know they'll be much more aggressive than my home health PT. I got outside on my front porch twice today each time for almost an hour, and pruned and cleaned up my hanging baskets of flowers, also swept and sprayed off the concrete out there.. It felt so good to be outside.
 
Hello @kmann
You sound like you are doing really well:yay: but be kind to yourself. Sweeping the concrete 13 days post op is very demanding! I would say stick with the hanging baskets!
 
Output pt can be very demanding. I cried on my first two visits then luckily my pt quit and I was given someone new- who is a little tough, but listens. Good luck - I hope you get a gentle soul.
 
Well, I dont have a problem coicing my opinion if I get a PT that I think is too harsh or I dont like. Hope it doesn't come to that though.
 
She thinks its muscular from walking different and being down so much, showed me a few stretches, said I will be able to stretch much better in a few weeks, and that out patient PT will really be able to work with it alot too. She told me to mention it to OS, and said he could do the OP PT orders to include working on the hip pain some too
 
Back
Top Bottom