Guest viewing is limited

TKR My post-op thread

Outta bed now..nice to use toilet and not bed pan..pain kicked up some...PT came just now walked a ways did some exercise with alot of help..she did say I walked much further than most do the 1st walk...knee just feels soooo right from all the swelling...took big bulky wrap off..so that feels nice. .and my leg is straight!! Wasnt before
 
Just make sure you get regular meds and ice the knee regularly. My knee is still very tight and warm a week on, however, it is straighter like yours. Rest as much as possible and let everyone look after you.
 
Hey @kmann , just came over to see how your surgery went, glad to hear aside from the vomiting that it seems to have gone well, 11 more days and I will be over here posting about my surgery.
 
Pain not as bad as I had expected. ..but wow the tightness is terrible...CPM machine can bends me too 90...but I can't do that on my own. At this moment its hard to believe I will ever walk again without this walker..let alone go back to work in 12 weeks...but I know I will.
 
I wonder what their reasoning is to not allow you to do that?
They have this really old fashioned and incorrect notion that if you elevate, you'll do it with a bent knee and that will mean your knee will set like concrete and never move again1 Daft, isn't it?


Pain not as bad as I had expected. ..but wow the tightness is terrible
That tightness IS pain, honey. Also soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness.
CPM machine can bends me too 90...but I can't do that on my own
That's right. That's why it makes the patient disappointed when they find that. But it's not realistic because it's passive. Your muscles, still reeling from the surgery, cannot do what the machine does just yet.
 
@Josephine in that case guess I have alot of pain! Had 10mg of narco 45min befor therepy and they give me IV tordol 3x a day..only day 1 and I'm ready for it to be over! !! LOL
 
Congrats on a successful start to your recovery; take it easy and be patient; avoid overdoing; and as you know, ice, elevate and pain meds as rx'd. You will be so glad you went forward with your TKR.

Best to you!
 
The stiffness seems to get progressively worse. ..I hate that 1 day out I feel kinda hopeless at this moment, I know people say those feelings happen. ..but I didnt expect it so soon..CPM runn8ng now...had me at 90 earlier want me to there again. ..but Im up to 70 and it burns on the medial knee when it gets to 70..feeling like a failure. .so confused. .I know Montra here..but then all these Dr and therepist tell me...have to do it. .Im so confused and scared to not push...
 
I also needed toradol in the first 24 hours, but then I was ok. However I did not have to use a CPM machine. I know it's hard, but can you ask to do heel slides instead? If all else fails a family member could negotiate for you. : ) Then you are in control of your knee and the pain, it does get better though.
 
Thanks @KarriB , I know Im just having bad moment...Im out of the CPM machine for now...iced up real good with my polar ice machine. Im just in that moment thinking what in the hell did I do to myself!!! I know it will get better, OS told hubby he was suprised I could even walk with the knee like it was before...so can only be better..need all the support and prayers I can get, have good support system, so thats great
 
There were times I said aloud, "what did I do?" In fact there's a video of jockey Gary Stevens saying the same thing and saying he didn't think he'd ever walk, let alone ride a horse again. It will get better, day by day. How long are you expecting to be in the hospital?
 
Should go home tomorrow. .this swelling just keeps getting worse! ! Every time I get up to bathroom it feels tighter and stiffer Than before
 
The stiffness seems to get progressively worse. ..I hate that 1 day out I feel kinda hopeless at this moment, I know people say those feelings happen. ..but I didnt expect it so soon..CPM runn8ng now...had me at 90 earlier want me to there again. ..but Im up to 70 and it burns on the medial knee when it gets to 70..feeling like a failure. .so confused. .I know Montra here..but then all these Dr and therepist tell me...have to do it. .Im so confused and scared to not push...

Hi @kmann -- I have tagged @Josephine to give you her wise advice - sorry I am a hippy and don't know much about knees. Best wishes :)
 
Glad you are posting and asking for info. It's really early days and I'm sure by this time next week you will be feeling much better.
 
Looking sooo forward to better days. .I know they will come. .trying to get better on top of the pain meds
 
Hang in there! The first few days/week is a challenge. It does get better......
 
only day 1 and I'm ready for it to be over! !! LOL
Oh honey, bless you! I'm glad you added the LOL though. At least it shows me that you appreciate how illogical that is.
but Im up to 70 and it burns on the medial knee when it gets to 70..feeling like a failure. .so confused. I know Montra here..but then all these Dr and therapist tell me...have to do it. I'm so confused and scared to not push.
But you're not a failure. They'd just asking too much of you this early. And they are totally wrong saying you have to be in pain for it like that. All this is making you more swelling and pain so your ROM is obstructed.

When you get home you can dictate your own way of doing things and I earnestly suggest that you do. This is a matter of consent and if you choose not to do it to this degree, then it's your choice. But you will need some courage to stand up to them as they will tell you that if you don't push 'through the pain' (what a ridiculous idea!) that your knee will set like concrete and never move again or you'll never be able to walk. This too is totally ridiculous because there are far more surgeons and PTs who say just the opposite (much like our mantra) and get better results. In my signature are links to my two recovery threads - I do suggest you read them and see how well I did with no exercising at all ! I'm sure the idea of that would be very scary to you so while I wouldn't suggest you follow my example, you can certainly see how less is more and gentle is best!
 
@kmann Hope you're feeling a little better today. Josephine's recovery threads are really good so if you haven't read them, you need to. My ROM isn't good at the moment and I'm a week ahead of you. It will get better but it's a very slow process. I'm not a patient person and have always wanted to run before l can walk which has, at times, really frustrated me when my progress doesn't seem to be as good as it should be. In a few months time, we'll look back and realise that it's all been worth the pain and grief!!!
 
I am just so stood and swollen, know it's normal. .but can barely bend my leg at all...can go to 70 with the cpm machine,1st home health and physical therepy visit at home today. Surgery was Thursday,all I have done since then is pretty much lay around and sleep. ..pee..walk a couple times a day, keep leg iced with pollar ice all the time. I have been seeing alarm every 4 hours for pain meds. It is sooo nice to be in my own bed though, so much more comfortable than the hospital bed. Struggling to eat, no appetite at all, it's hard for me to force 3 or 4 crackers or 1/2 pudding cup with meds
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom