Guest viewing is limited

TKR My post-op thread

Hooray for your wide awake quad!
 
That's how it happens, I was scared mine would never wake up. But everyone told me they would and keep working at it. I amd almost 15 weeks out and I had some nerves wake up two weeks ago.
 
Finally a beautiful day with sunshine and no rain here in Missouri...I tell ya the rain is killing us, so much flooding!! Was kinda down in the dumps this am...hubby and kids went to town did some shopping, had breakfast. They wanted me to go, but at only 16 days out, I just couldn't do it. They are loading up the boat now to go out on the lake...glad hubby is keeping them busy, but boy is hard to be left behind alone!! 1st 10 days or so I kinda liked being waited on, and just hanging out, but enough all ready! At least I start OP PT this week, that will get me outta the house 2x a week. I am do anxious to be mobile again, on a positive note, this afternoon, I have realized how much more ROM and control I have over this leg. ..which is great. Now when I get up from sitting, it's very difficult for me to get my leg going, feels froze up. ..how long can I expect that? Once I take several steps Im OK, but those 1st few are really hard! !
 
You sent the rain north! Storms all day and now tornado warnings! Your husband is doing a great thing, taking the kids out. It's no fun knowing everyone's having fun without you, but in a few weeks you'll be able to go out to eat with your family (just keep the leg up). Put a movie on and rest or since it's NOT raining sit out on the deck.
I'd say another few weeks until you're able to get moving easier when getting up.
 
Hi your doing really well....my leg still feels so heavy at times too only today I took the dressing off and tonight it's feeling really hot and tight...I wonder if it will ever feel normal again.
 
It will. In time and with much patience. Keep celebrating those miniscule improvements here so you can read back in a month, 2 months, 5 months to see how far you really have come.
 
Thank you KYata I will I am keeping a diary and write everything thing in it...I forget how last week I was celebrating walking round the garden little at a time think I am beginning to appreciate that from people on here. I'm going to send away for the ice machine I think that might help with the heat in my knee....
 
@kmann I just went back and reread your thread from start to finish. Your progress sounds so much like mine, it's amazing! My surgery was this past Monday and I was doing really well. I had a 110 bend which is unheard of. I can walk with just one crutch, and practice with a cane. Well, yesterday was such a good day, that I think I overdid it and paid for it today. I only measured 96 degrees today and had a hard time doing much of anything. Like you I was exhausted. So, basically all I did was ice, elevated and doze all day. I do feel better and not ready to cry myself to sleep. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I'll keep checking back on your progress to see how I compare to you, but it's nice to find someone similar to you. I just wish I had a little one like your daughter to tuck me in at night. The dog just doesn't cut it!:yes:
 
I know how you feel... I have a 3 yr old and my husband took him everywhere those first few weeks to get him out. I would have a pity party every weekend. But I knew it was best for them. After a few weeks, i joined for brunch or something small. And today, I went to the mall and dinner with them! You will get there!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne ...thanks for the insight, and positive reinforcement. I'm normally a very happy, content, positive person, but it is very hard not to have a pity party when everybody else leaves to go do something fun and your left behind. I'm not normally like this, I've been crying way too much, I'm sure it's some sort of post surgical depression. Asking myself why did I do this, even though I know the answer, but right now it just a hard time. I know in my heart of hearts I will look back and be glad that I did this. I have missed out on so much with my children. And I know that this is all in an effort to be able to do more with them, but right now I see them going and doing things I could have done pre-surgery. But instead I'm left here at the house, missing out on these moments with my family. Wow, I got to get off of this pitty train, and try to focus on positive days that are yet to come, days that will be so much better than they would have been without the surgery!! Us youngins who have the surgery have a whole different set of worries and lows, than the older patients. But I guess on the flip side maybe we have actually more to gain in the long run
 
I was so touched by your very sweet story about your daughter. She obviously learned to be caring and empathetic from you! You are so early in your recovery and are doing wonderful! I completely understand the anxiety and frustration you are going through. I broke down crying a few times too. No one could possibly understand, but us how difficult a recovery this is. I can tell you though that now that I am 9 1/2 weeks post-op LTKR, I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and imagine the day that I will walk normally again!!! You will also see that you will feel better and will be able to one day be so happy you did this! This is a wonderful forum and I am so thankful for everyone here.

Hugs.....
 
You said it better than I could! I've avoided planning vacations and zoo trips and baseball games because I was too scared about how I'd handle them. Soon enough, IT'S ON! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MidwestTKR ..Thank you so much for the wonderful supportive words. Tears actually run down my cheeks as I write this. There is no way, that I could ever make it through this without site, and all of you. I am forever grateful for all of your kindness, compassion, and wisdom. I know that this will pass, but it's so nice to be able to come to this site and talk to people who have been through and are going through the same thing. My husband is very supportive, but he will be the first to admit that he just cannot fully understand what I'm going through. Thank you so much to all of you!
 
Now when I get up from sitting, it's very difficult for me to get my leg going, feels froze up. ..how long can I expect that? Once I take several steps Im OK, but those 1st few are really hard! !
I used to get that a lot. My answer was to just stand for a few minutes, before trying to get moving. It will go away gradually, as time passes. You may also find that you are stiff initially, but that the stiffness gradually goes, as you walk it off.

I'm normally a very happy, content, positive person, but it is very hard not to have a pity party when everybody else leaves to go do something fun and your left behind. I'm not normally like this, I've been crying way too much, I'm sure it's some sort of post surgical depression.
It's quite normal to get some depression and emotional instability after this major surgery. It usually hits around 3-5 weeks after surgery. If you can, accept it as jut part of the recovery process. If it lingers too long, ask you doctor for help. This article may be of interest: Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I know it's hard to be left behind when the family is out having fun, but this time of resting is going to pay off in a big way later on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kmann...I would cry watching reruns of leave it to beaver..wanting to be more like June Cleaver! It gets better week after week. I agree with Celle-something happens around 3-5 weeks that makes you a hot mess. Good time to rest and read a good book.
 
@kmann the blues can be bad, no doubt about it. After my 2nd surgery for infection I think I cried everyday. Tears came just explaining what had happened and I was unable to focus on anything. I missed Thanksgiving (emergency surgery Thanksgiving Eve) a wedding shower and the wedding just to mention the big events. But it made the next events so much sweeter when I realized everyone missed me as much I missed them. It will pass and a month from now you'll be able to do easy things with your kids.
After missing Thanksgiving with my family I was hospitalized for a week, taking me into December. Irrationally, I was worried about missing Christmas with my family. But when I was released Dec. 6th I came home to my niece, nephew and their friends putting out my Christmas decorations! We drove up to my house lit with the Christmas tree! What a blessing!
Your little girl will continue to look after you and remember your character through a tough time. I cried reading her sweet concern and encouragement for you. Children are a reflection of their parents, so you are doing a phenomenal job! This time is a small moment that will pass, but your little family will learn and grow from it. Remember where you were a week ago and think about this time next week. I hope every day is a little better...

Smiles,
Karri
 
Thanks again guys...I am anxious to start outpatient therepy Tuesday...my knee is not even my main problem right now I mean it feels tight that band around it feeling, but no real severe pain in the knee. But this hip pain on that side, is just absolutely killing me. I've tried heat,ice, stretching it best I can talk to do with an operated knee. Earlier I laid on the floor on my side and had my husband roll on it with a rolling pin it was very tender but it helped a little bit. If it wasn't for this hip I think I've been doing really good. Just super frustrating to have one problem getting better only to have another one start
 
It's probably another thing that will take time.It took a few weeks for my muscles etc to settle down. Definitely frustrating. Did you check the Library for IT band stretches?
 
Have you tried gentle massage? It is the last thing I want to do when something is acting up like that but it might help [pounding is what I want to do!]. Gentle knuckles or thumbs stroking the sore area for 5 minutes or so.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom