Guest viewing is limited

TKR My post-op thread

Yep...sounds like you're doing just fine and are where you should be. I'll be there with you this time next week, so just try and rest and let the healing begin!
 
Don't fight it, just rest, elevate, ice and keep up with your meds at this point.
 
I had the same problem with no appetite. Lasted about 6 weeks for me, so I bought some nutritional drinks. I am 9 weeks out and my knee is doing well. Hang in there and ice, ice, ice!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
my first in home physical therapy just left, it wasn't too bad. did a lot of gentle exercises, she let me decide when enough was enough. flexion push to 95 degrees, which I was pretty happy with. not sure what extension is but I know I'm not at 0. I had been having a rough time but I'm feeling better about things now. I feel like I can kind of start to let my knee bend when I sit down as opposed to keeping it straight. I can at least tell that there will be brighter days ahead now.I have been having a rough time in feeling better about things now. I feel like I can't I'm starting with my need and when I sit down as opposed to keeping it straight. I can atleast tell that there will be brighter days ahead now. yeah I'm ready for a nap!
 
Excellent flexion, bearing in mind you only had your op a few days ago, you are doing very well. Keep icing!!
 
Wow...I guess therepy was rougher on me than I thought...I am so. Worn out and tired, swollen and swore tonight. Im sure to morrow will be better. I keep ice machine on my knee at all times...and at night I ice it up real good and elevate it very well. Recovery is definately harder than I had thought, but I know it will be worth it in the end.
 
Well, here it is, everyone talks about it. .I had been sleeping pretty well, but it's night 5, and I decided to try 1 Percocet every 4 hours instead of 1 1/2... here at 230am, Im deciding that was a big mistake! My last 2 doses I only did 1..alarm was set for 145 for next dose, musta slept through, so just now took it. .Let me tell ya I did 1 1/2 this time. Im in pretty significant pain. Thought I was finally around a corner maybe, now not sure! Everytime I wake up in the middle of the night, the leg is soooo stiff and frozen in place. Is this normal I guess? Got up to potty, took short walk to stretch out, and was in tears when I got back to bed. How do you know when to start lowering medication dose? I did it cause I was feeling good, but tired of that drugged feeling, well let me tel you. .I am laying here waiting for that drugged feeling to kick back in! !!
 
@kmann l know exactly what you mean and am experiencing the same problems as you. I started to reduce my meds and suffered in the same way you did. Needless to say, I've gone back to my normal dosages at the normal intervals. Guess it was far too early to think about reducing meds. You'll know when to start lowering the dose or extending intervals in between them after a few weeks. Could be at least 4 weeks, think when l had my left knee done, I forgot to take a couple of doses as my knee was feeling good and that was about 4-5 weeks post op, but everyone's different so could be shorter or longer.
 
@kmann I'm not an advisor or moderator, but I'm pretty sure @Pumpkln or @Jamie would say it's waaaaaay to early to even think about lowering dosage. You are just 6 days out. I know I was taking oxycodone as prescribed for the first 3-4 weeks when my pain was not as great. It is a drug induced fog, but what you need is rest. I just accepted it for a few weeks as it was better than the pain, but you were feeling ok because of the pain meds. Just continue with the pain meds as prescribed for now and your body will let you know when you don't need as much. Most important advice I got...stay ahead of the pain.
 
Kmann,
You are not alone, I learned this the hard way too.
Six days is too early to lower your pain medication, you should be taking your pain medication by the clock as prescribed. I also slept through the alarm and made sure it did not happen again, change your alarm ring, increase the volume, set two alarms, etc.
In the early days good pain control is very important to keep swelling and stiffness at bay. As your TKR heals and your pain reduces you will forget to take your pain medication and reduce your doses naturally.

Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart

In the Library Index under the letter "P", there are several articles about pain management.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/#post-332442

You are right that everyone is different, don't compare yourself to any one else in recovery. Some have less pain, some heal faster, some take longer, and have more pain.

:elevate:
 
I am so grateful for this site, I can't imagine trying to go through this without all of you. it truly is a blessing! I'm waiting for in home physical therapy to arrive now. somehow I've been managing to stay awake all day and not nap, but I think I need to change that. I noticed that it 9 10 o'clock at night when I finally get to bed, I am so exhausted but I can barely even make it in the bed and lay down. probably need to doze is a little during the day
 
I thought I wasn't sleeping because of lack of activity. But that's not the case, sleep whenever you can right now. Nap in a chair, your bed, the toilet, anywhere! I'm not a napper, so I knew when I'd nod off in the middle of a conversation it was my body saying it needed rest in order to heal.
 
Hi glad your home. And doing well. The feeling I had to call os and get Meds changed. I could not stand that at all. And 6 days way to early. This is a great sight.

I was told not to leave I've on all night. I was told on for a while and off for while. I leave on like 10-30 min. Cause it freezes me and turns red.

Do u have a potty chair? Would make it easier than having to walk a distance.

It's normal to fell stiff if you have not moved for a while. That is why at 3 months I still have to move leg around in the bed.

Don't cry about the pain. It gets better each day. And you said it your self. It will be worth it.

Have your doc to call you in different Meds. I take Nucynta and it don't make me full groggy or incoherent. No one can tell I've even taken it. It relaxes my leg. Know if you had got it started taking it. It may have a different affect on you.. But I don't know that the doc would give. Just a thought. I know a lot of the Meds is high dosage and I could not handle them.

Seems that your doing well for early days. Just know it's a roller coaster. Each person recovery is different. But it's all worth it. I got so upset I had to set me a goal. I love to roller skate and dance in church with out ministry so. That is my goal for my future.and recovery. You will do fine. Never give up.

I say never give up. Day to day will be different. But if you have a problem there is alsways some one here to talk to. Some one who has had procedure years ago,or recent,or getting ready to have it again. We all are here to lean on each other. To get us through this. Your not alone.

A few things to remember. Don't do it if it hurts. Don't let no one hurt you. Pt don't let them push you to meet there goal. It's your knee your recovery. You must do it on your own time. To avoid any injures. Ice elivate rest relax. Take Meds on time
And read the articles. Cause they will help you so much.

I had a incident where I was in bad pain. My partial was pop lock and throw me forward. (See video in thread) I asked for help. And the staff here stepped up and got me help. I try to take the help. Went to the doc they told me. But there was waiting list and I would have to start over. And I could not do that. So went to reg doc was honest. And he got it fixed. One he was ashamed. And other students in room never saw it before. And knew i was in agony. So partial from dec was converted to fill March. I'm doing well for me. He is happy. So awaiting next knee. Enough about me. Point is this sight will help. And if they can't they won't stop till they can answer it. Each one is supportive and helpful.

Good luck to you. Early days be kind to your knee. Xxxx best reguards. (Hugs)


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
I've been managing to stay awake all day and not nap, but I think I need to change that. I noticed that it 9 10 o'clock at night when I finally get to bed, I am so exhausted but I can barely even make it in the bed and lay down. probably need to doze is a little during the day
Yes, take naps during the day.
Your body is working hard at healing your knee and it needs lots of rest.
 
well for the first morning since surgery I did not get up at 6 clock. I slept till almost 9. I think my body just said Hey you need to rest,so I did. at 1 week I do feel a lil bit more positive, I feel like my leg becomes a tiny little bit more mine everyday. I now completely understand that tight band feeling around the knee, sometimes I just want to reach down there and undo it cuz it really feels like that's what it is. next Wednesday I get the staples out, I'm looking very forward to that. hopefully things just keep progressing like they are, its slow, but it's moving in the right direction.
 
I remember thinking it felt like a rubber band around my knee. It takes months for that feeling to go away. I'm glad you slept, that's what your body is craving! Have a good day!
 
@KarriB ..yes I've even slept off and on all day. I'm sure my body is just saying time for rest. I have read some research that says I'm at the point where the adrenaline levels and stuff that were produced during the surgery reach a low Valley, typical to have a lot of fatigue and low energy level between day 5 & 7
 
@kmann...just checking to see how you are doing
.I am almost 7 weeks out now, and I have to say the first 4 weeks were the hardest. You have made it past your first week!! Hoorah!! It will get easier for you as time goes on. My biggest thing was depression...but with the help of my family, going out for little rides, and lots of netflix movies- I got through it until I was able to drive. Once you get your freedom back, things start to get better. Keep plugging along, you are doing great!!
 
Napping is one of those great things for healing. When you're recovering you have "permission" to nap--if your body tells you it needs to rest, listen. Heck, a nap or at least a lying down rest was part of my day for weeks--though less so over time.
 
I feel better everyday...sometimes by the end of the night it seems like the entire day catches me, and the anxiety, pain, and frustration catches me and i have a little break down. My family has been wonderful in thise moments though, helping me to bed, getting me settled, and dosed with pain meds, then 1 of them lays with me until the pain medicine kicks in and I settle down. god bless my 10 year old little girl, she was here with me last night while dad and brother were out doing something, & I had one of those nights probably the worst one yet. she helped move all my stuff back to the bedroom... ice machine.. my water ..my pain medicine everything. helped me get into bed and get settled, she kept telling me don't cry Mom it'll be okay I'm here to help you!! I told her I was so sorry, but I was having a little bit of a breakdown, she took my face in her little hands looked me straight in the eye, and said mom you're the strongest lady I know, this is a really hard thing you're going through, and it's going to be ok! God love her she did a wonderful job,I have never been so proud of her as I was in that moment. so today about 145 when I took that dose of pain medicine I headed back to the bedroom and settled into my bed never did really fully fall asleep, it was just really comfortable and relax with the TV on. hoping that little bit will help me from having one of those moments again tonight.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom