Guest viewing is limited

TKR My new knee

Yes, while this was a miracle for my mom's pain from spinal stenosis and other pain from a generally wrecked back when nothing else worked, her doc did not suggest it lightly.
 
I occasionally get those "brain zap" sensations too--but only if I haven't slept enough &/or my sinuses are congested. Never had them while in hospital or rehab, hardly ever get them in winter. I'm sure the health care facilities have better A/C and air purifiers than I do; I'm also allergic to my cats (but I love them too much to give them away). The "zaps" happen if I turn my head too fast--it's like my head moves one way and a split second later my brain follows. Had them back when I wasn't on Welllbutrin too--but I notice they're worse if I take a drowsy antihistamine like Benadryl rather than Zyrtec or Claritin at bedtime. I've also had lifelong tinnitus. So though it might be your Cymbalta, it might not.
 
Why would anyone take it after reading the dangers is beyond my comprehension .
Because of all the beautiful commercials of people skipping through the tulips. We totally block out the long list of side effects that follows due to the happy music they play. :hissy:

Totally sorry you are having such a hard time pegleg. :cry:

Now that you mention side effects, I believe part of the reason I'm actually on this site is because of a couple of medications I was taking to lower cholesterol. I think it was Zocor. I remember one night laying in my bed and my knee/leg joints were killing me. Like crushing pain. I wasn't until later that I read joint pain was one of the side effects. I would have never known had I not looked it up. Drs/pharmaceutical companies just don't give you all the info, or ask if there's a history of the things that may be effected by the meds they prescribe. This was before the beautiful, you'll get your life back in no time commercials they have out now.

My knee just got progressively worse from there. I know arthritis runs in my family, but my joint pain started in my 40's and it was right around the time I started taking Statins. If only we knew beforehand huh? Thank God for Google/ the internet. the key is to research and words from the wise (Bonesmart) because we can't believe everything to read online.

Good luck shaking the shakes... see what I did there. :heehee: Hopefully the worst is over with. :console2:
 
Actually, it's muscular pain--especially in the long, weightbearing ones like quadriceps and gastrocnemius, that's a more common side effect of statins. Joint pains have been reported by patients, but there has been no correlation with statin use the way there is with muscle pain (sometimes the first sign of a potentially fatal muscle-wasting process called rhabdomyolisis). In the case of joint pain, there's often a demographic overlap between patients with preexisting OA and those with hyperlipidemia (for which statins are the most effective treatment), who hadn't noticed their joint pain until after reading the side effects. My husband the cardiologist still scoffs at my not taking Lipitor, saying most of his patients blame joint pain on everything but OA (or RA). For his patients who claim they can't tolerate statins, he has them take it just once a week--and sees a 20% reduction in LDL (but no effect on other blood lipids). But my FP, as soon as I told him my thighs felt achy, pulled me off Lipitor pronto (despite its dramativ improvement in all my blood lipids) and said to revisit the issue once I feel I've gotten far enough in my TKR recovery & weight loss.

One other undesirable side effect of statins can be a rise in both fasting blood glucose and hemoglobin a1c. Gives one pause if they're predisposed to metabolic syndrome or are already prediabetic.
 
All side effects have now gone, been clear of them for a week but the back pain as come back and I have to take T3 at night to help me to sleep.

peg
 
Hi all,
Latest update.
I am doing great having so much fun with my new knee ROM is around 110 and no pain just stiffness after seating to long I wished I had this done years ago or never had the fusion in the first place happy late summer and lets hope that the winter is not tooooooooooooooooooooo cold

all the best every one
Peg
 
Peg.....it's always good to hear from you and especially great to hear how well you're doing!!! Thanks for the update.
 
What helped me during the night during my back spasm recovery was topical pain reliever--Sombra cream, Max-Freez, BioFreeze all worked well. After it sank in, a long-acting (8-hr) IcyHot patch on the stiff sore spot was marvelous (icing on top of that 10 min. before bedtime). At the initial time of the spasm, I got the OK from my FP to use a 12-hr. Flector (diclofenac, an NSAID) patch, which with very occasional use doesn't leach much into the gut. In the morning (not for the first day or two of a back spasm), once I go downstairs for coffee I wake up any soreness with a heating pad set to low for about 5 minutes as I sit in a chair. During the acute phase I use ice instead.

Since you are far enough past your TKR for extension not to be an issue (unless your OS says otherwise), you should be okay sleeping on your back with several pillows beneath your knees. In my case, I find sleeping on my side with knees slightly bent and a king-size length pillow between them works too and spares my husband my snoring. And I take half a Norco 5/325 for sleep (which half is about half the opiate-equivalent of a single T3 and perhaps 30-40% as much Tylenol). Been doing that for a couple of years when not acutely recovering from surgery. FP approves. Ask your FP what herbals will not dangerously interact with your current medications. If you are not taking a blood thinner, ask him if Valerian root is okay. It smells like feet (yeccch) but drops me like a plugged buffalo when I can't take any opioid.

And you know too that alcohol may get you to sleep but will wake you prematurely--and your sleep quality won't be as good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My new knee
You have certainly earned this. I am just so happy that this worked out for you and that you are doing so well and enjoying life again---pain free.
 
Hi all went shopping today and did not rest and did not think about the knee at all. Cant believe after all I went through with this old leg that my life as improved 1000%.

I would like to thank my wife for allways been there for me and a big thank you to all of you from bonesmart who where there in the darkest days of pain, also comfort and understanding THANK YOU Bonesmart
 
You're welcome, Pegleg!!! It's so wonderful to read how well things turned out for you. It's a special success story for sure!!! So what all did you buy????:heehee: Or were you the "package carrier"?
 
Just looking for stuff for the new house and having time with Agnes and enjoing the last of the sun before the snow comes to Calgary
 
Life is good!!! :thumb:
 
HI all,
latest update first day back at work 6 hrs today and then on Thursday next week 3 days normal hrs and then 4 days until the end of October. knee feels great.

pegleg aka Andrew
 
Well, GREAT beats GOOD any day!!! Hooray!!!
 
Hi all,
Doing well no pain just stiffness at times but most of the time I don't think about the knee when I am walking.
Been back to work with no problems.

We are moving house this weekend so that will test the knee love having the new mobility that I have now, life is great when you can get around with out the stiff leg.

Now when people look at me its not at the way I am walking but how good looking I am since having the knee and losing the weight LOL

Just wish they could sort the arthritis out in the back.
 
Back
Top Bottom