Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

For the first time since TKRop 11 days ago, I couldn't tolerate the ice pack.But I left it on, moving to above the knee to on the knee, to below the knee for all of 15 minutes. I'll ice again in a few hours because it helps keep swelling at bay and eases the sense of tightness a bit. I consider this change of tolerance a sign of healing in progress. Or maybe it's just today that way.
 
How are you doing @becticu ? How is the swelling and PT going? Thinking of you!
 
Hi everyone, I am post op day 9 for my right knee and 11 weeks out from the left. As everyone has said no two knees are the same. I think God was preparing me for this knee with my left. I thought she was a problem child but I see now she was a beauty! I go to PT 3 days a week but basically all they are doing is massage on those muscles and then doing kinesic taping of the knee. I have a huge amount of swelling and the taping helps some with this. Heel slides are basically non existent, as the minute I try to pull the leg up the quad balls up and screams at me. I was at 40 and 5 last week but she isn't even measuring me now. I actually think I have got my extension to 0 but if I had to guess I think extension is down to 25. They don't push anything there.

I am doing absolutely nothing at home, except get up to the bathroom or change bedrooms or to the family room. I do try some minimal heel slides each day as well as heel pumps. I am elevating and icing almost continually. I've had so much more pain with this knee than the first. I just thought she was bad. I feel like I don't usually have control with pain but very careful to take on schedule and not even think about weaning.

I'm sad that it's like this but the great thing is I've done this before. Yes this one is different, but I will get there. When I get that weird pain in that certain place, I'm like yes, I know what that is. That goes away about week 3 or whatever. I find comfort in knowing that I know about so many of the things and pains and their timeline.

I have been reading some of the threads but feel I don't have positive things happening so haven't commented much but love reading all the crazy posts! I am keeping my blessing journal each day and that helps a lot too. Eventually she will decide to wake up and cooperate but for now I wait. I can actually lift her, just not bend her.

My left knee is performing beautiful and shows off every day! I'm so happy I did the left knee and the knowledge that the right one will get there is hopeful. Keep writing and I'll keep reading!:shrug:
 
@becticu im glad you checked in, been thinking about you and sending healing thoughts. Most of us get hung up comparing our knees to someone else's and here you are having to compare your own! Great to hear that lefty is doing so well and holding down the fort. Feel free to complain, too, as Alice Roosevelt supposedly said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, sit by me!"
 
This one may require more patience, Becky. I'm sorry it's being so difficult, but you're doing all the right things.
 
So good to hear from you! As you said, we must have been writing at the same time!
It sounds like you are having a challenge with your newest knee but you have a positive attitude, know how you need to take your meds and not over doing it, so keep doing what you need to and before you know it they will be working in tandem!
I am keeping you in my prayers!
 
Becky, I'll be praying that God pulls that swelling out of your poor knee and that He will give you comfort and ROM!
 
I'm scared to read your posts because I feel like we are surgery sisters. And you are the ghost of surgery Yet To Come to my Ebeneezer Scrooge. :heehee: I'm so sorry it's harder this time. Hang in there. I do think focusing on "this too shall pass" is all you can do. Do you think you might need to up your meds? My Os told me they likely won't work as well for round 2. So while I was taking 1-1.5 percoset most of the time, I might need to go up to 2.

Please keep posting. You've been in my thoughts.
 
@Jennszoo has a good point about the meds.

Since your first surgery wasn't that long ago you may have built up a bit of a tolerance to them. You may have to go with a higher dose for awhile.
 
So sorry to hear your poor knee is giving you problems. It's so true, isn't it, how each knee is completely its own recovery. You're getting such good suggestions here, too. Hoping your knees are soon a happy, cooperative pair!
 
Aw! Sorry your new knee isn't feeling so good, but happy to hear your other one is coming along great! Hang in there, sending you positive thoughts. Remember it is a marathon! You will get there with this one too! Sending Happy thoughts your way:flwrysmile::friends:
 
Stay connected to us Becky, it's what got me through some hard days. Whenever I feel low I get on my laptop and look for encouragement and strength to stay in the game with a good attitude. God bless:flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for continuing to check on me and encouraging me to post. At PT yesterday she really worked on the muscles a lot and used some heat during this time. I actually got a little bit of flexion this way. There wasn't pain when she did this and we didn't measure but at least my leg wasn't practically straight out when I sit. Sitting is really difficult and painful with no flexion. My PT said that the NP should not even mention MUA, that she wouldn't even consider it and shouldn't talk about it.

I see my OS NP today for the ten day checkup. I am hoping for better pain control. Some of you may remember Percocet made me really emotional and very teary. I wasn't going to take it this time at all but ended up having to use it again as the hydrocodone didn't touch the pain. That is my goal for this visit, to find a combination that gives some relief. I feel like there is rarely a time at all when I have no pain. That alone wears me out and I'm not sleeping well either, just like most of you :unsure:.

I will give an update this afternoon. Thanks everybody.
 
I think you've been very brave getting both knees replaced so close in time to each other.
I send you best wishes that you find the right medicines for your pain. So much of medicine is experimentation. :console2:
 
@becticu , sending some prayers your way for a good check-up today that will result in the right pain medications for you. I have faith there will be a combination that will work and hopefully without too much experimentation. Better days are coming, count on it!:console2:
 
The lack of good pain control is probably adding to your discomfort while sitting. I hope the doc can help.
 
Nothing's worse than never getting relief from pain! It will play with your emotions and convince you that you will never get better. Soon you will have the pain control you need. Keep your chin up, better times are coming.:dogwalk:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom