Guest viewing is limited

MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

Good morning everyone, I AM on the other side. I've slept better actually today but had to go the the bathroom a bit ago so now I am awake.

My surgery went well. He said there was significantly more arthritis than he thought and something about the patella and the femoral groove being really shiny as is is worn out so bad.

I didn't get back to my room until 7 pm. I only have pain when I move the knee, lol. I have a nerve block which stays in and I pull it in a couple of dais at home. They keep constant ice on me, but having an elevation issue. They only allow a rolled up towel under my ankle. That lasted about 5 minutes till I took it out and used some extra blanets to elevate. I don't know what they did in March when I had my first, I just can't remember. I didn't know bone smart until about 10 days post op that knee elevation wasn't ingrained to my thinking. I've thought before when people say to demand it that shouldn't be a problem...it is here because they won't cross OS orders.
Therefore I just put it on blanets myself. What are they going to do, fire me??? Enough of that. I think I am going to ask Walt to help me get in the recliner to change position, More later after PT! :yes!:
 
I'm glad it's going well. What a good idea to use blankets to elevate your knee!
 
Clever with the blankets! My hospital also didn't have a clue about elevation. Either it meant rolled towels under the ankles, or it meant tipping the entire bed to raise legs over head--but either way they were adamant about ramrod straight legs. Looks like you've found a nice workaround.
 
I am glad things are going well! That was a good idea about the blankets. It's great that they want constant ice.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Welcome to the newest knee! What a blessing the block is/will be for you! At least you will be home and settled when it is removed! So glad it is going well for you! Hang in there! Xx
 
Great that you are doing well and have learned to elevate your knee yourself! Good going!

When you get into the recliner, make sure your leg is elevated. Don't let it hang down or your knee will swell excessively and hurt like the dickens!
 
Good to hear you have the pain pump! My surgeon used general anesthesia, a nerve block and the pain pump I went home with. By the time the nerve block wore off and then I took out the pain pump I had my pain extremely well managed by my oral meds. I can honestly say I had no period of time that I was even close to bad pain. Discomfort yes for sure, but no real pain. Too bad all surgeons don't use them.
 
Glad to hear your surgery went well. Take care of yourself, you certainly know the drill:smile2:
Good to hear you have the pain pump, I had one for my shoulder surgery it was a godsend. Will check in on you in a few days:friends:
 
Wondering if you are home yet? Hoping all is going well for you! Thinking of you!
 
Glad to hear you are doing well and I hope you are now resting fairly comfortably at home! :elevate:
 
Yea you're done with those surgeries!!! I've heard going home with one of those pain pump thingies is nice!! My hospital didn't allow elevation either (glad I was only there 1 night)
My patella was also "polished" due to the bone/bone
 
Hi everyone,I am post op day 5 now. I've lost track of so many threads these last days. The brain fog and fatigue have really hit hard and I'm sure this being the second surgery in 10 weeks adds to that. Everyone says don't compare knees. I think they must know what they are talking about! I had hopes and still do that my first knee was the bad girl and this one will behave better, so far no good!

I thought I had moderate swelling with my first knee, I think that's because I didn't know what moderate meant. My entire right leg is huge! I weighed Mon morning before leaving for the hospital and then on Friday morning and I have gained 9 lbs. I guarantee it's not food because I have to force myself to eat. My thigh is huge. My toes, even the bottom of my feet feel swollen. My thighs are rubbing against each other when I walk and it's so tender. My left leg is swelling some again. Is that normal because of her surgery in March? When does swelling start and when will this go away?? @Celle i have read the articles again but this experience is so very different. I do have to brag on my left knee. She has taken over beautifully!

I am carefully following the guidelines. I am down and elevating probably 95% of the time. Is it normal for the ice to make you feel like your bones actually ache? That pain get severe and I have to take off the ice for a while and put it back on.

I did have PT on Wed but she did nothing but hold my leg and do some gentle massage. No exercises at all. I'm so puzzled why one leg swelled like this and other didn't much at all. Please tell me I'm going to be okay and it's not going to take forever. I understand about the 12 month recovery, I truly do but this is tiny, tiny :sos:
baby steps. :sos:
 
There's no set time when swelling comes and goes. Just do the best you can with icing and elevating and is should gradually go down. Ice until it gets uncomfortable, then give your knee rest and ice again. You could try putting some extra material between your knee and the icing medium, so that it isn't quite so cold. See if that helps.

Make sure that you keep o your schedule for taking the medications.

We do say that no two knees are the same, and your second one is proving that. It could be that this knee needed more work during surgery than your first knee. That doesn't mean it won't do just as well eventually, but it might need a little longer.
 
@becticu, I am a *fellow sweller* so have great empathy along with a hefty dose of sympathy for you. Almost 3 weeks later, I still have quite a bit of swelling, in the moderate range, though my foot has returned to normal and the rest has shrunk a bit. After I had my staples out (2 weeks) I noticed some improvement, so I hope you will as well. It's still problematic, but nearly as much as it was those first two weeks. None of the professionals I've seen seem to know what might help beyond ice and elevation, so apparently, it's just a matter of time. Just 10 minutes ago, in the hope it might possibly help, I took an Aleve for the first time since before surgery. It's not a medication I wish to use for long term, but since I am now off blood thinners, if it helps reduce swelling and inflammation now, I will use it occasionally. Sending you warm recovery wishes and a big, healing hug!:angel:
 
You had your first surgery just two days after mine. Glad to here that one is behaving and taking some of the brunt! I'm sure she's happy to not be labeled the "bad girl" and that's why she's stepping up!!

My knee is still stiff and tight most of the day. I've never had a day where it wasn't. Some days are better than others and it's always tighter at the end of the day. My swelling seems concentrated right above the knee cap to the lower thigh and if you look at it it doesn't look swollen but I know it is. The swelling has changed more from the squishy feeling to the tight band feeling.

Even now sometimes the ice pack is just too cold and I have to take it off and give my leg a break.

You have my sympathy to be actually going through this again so soon. I'm sending you healing hugs :friends:
 
I had the deep ache with icing my second knee. I did like you and would take the ice off and on. It did get better to where I can use the ice as often as needed.
Are you on any type of anti inflammatory? I was given Celebrex and it did help with the swelling as well as my deep aches. I definitely know when I have missed a dose.
I know you must be miserable right now but hopefully it will start turning around a bit.
Thinking of you and sending positive vibes for a quick recovery!
 
My doctor also had me on Celebrex for the first month and now that I think about it my aching didn't really start until later after I was done with that. Guess it did keep it at bay. Now Tylenol seems to do the trick or when it's especially bad I will take a Tramadol with it.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom