MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

Congrats on the impending grand baby. Glad your swelling is getting better. Baby steps!
 
Hi betticu! Congratulations on your anniversary! I'm sorry you are still having such a hard time with flexion. I'm seeing my OS this morning. 16 days out. The physical therapist says I'm doing really well considering I stopped all pain meds on day 9. I was too nauseous. Couldn't tolerate any of it. I am noticing that the more the swelling goes down the more movement. Not easy at this point but gets a tiny bit better every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
Hi Becky! I take 2 50mg of Tramadol at night before bed and it really helps the restlessness and knee ache. Tylenol and Motrin during the day as needed has worked for the most. Tramadol also helps with depression and feeling down, and I really noticed it did promote a sense of well-being.
 
Happy Anniversary and congratulations on the upcoming grandchild! Busy time for you!
I take hydrocodone and alternate with Tramadol. The Tramadol doesn't last as long as the Norco but it does bridge that time between the Norco doses. I bet your swelling is playing a major role in your pain. Hope you find a way to control it as you must be miserable!
You are so strong to deal with what you have had to! Praying for relief soon!
 
I'm praying for you, too, Becky. That swelling has got to be painful. It's going to be good to find out what all he had to do to that knee to cause this terrible time that you are having. Please take it as easy as you can.
 
Congratulations! On the new Grandbaby coming!
I was so surprised at your pics of your knees, goes to show us no two knees are the same. I feel bad for you that you aren't getting good pain control, I sure hope your doctor addresses that. Sending you well wishes and happy thoughts! Hope you feel better soon!:friends:
 
Hi everyone, I wanted to give an update on my day yesterday. I saw my surgeons PA yesterday. Everyone sees her for the two week visit. She didn't measure me but eyeballed it and said she thought I was around 40 degrees. That's a little depressing for me. Not because the number is 40 but because it is so difficult to do the things I need and want to do with that bend.

With my left knee ( I know @Celle and @Josephine I'm not supposed not supposed to compare) I had better than that coming home from the hospital. I was always able to get that shoe on and tied even though it was a real stretch I could still do it. The right knee?? No way I can get the shoe on by myself, let alone tie it! In fact I have a really hard time getting my underwear on.....

She did change my meds out so I am no longer taking Percocet. I haven't cried the first time today! It's so strange how it affects me. She wasn't impressed by the Tramedol regimen I showed her and said since I still had so much swelling, stiffness and pain she didn't think it would help the pain. She put me on Dilaudid which kind of freaks me out as that is rather strong. I does make me sleepy and I don't want to sleep too much. Night time sleep will be a relief though!

She said if my range hadn't increased in 3-4 weeks they would talk MUA to me. At least she had it out there weeks away and not threatening me now. When I asked why the difference in swelling and pain she said she had no explanation. I know the OS told me the day after surgery that he had to do much more to this knee than the left and might be slower coming around. I was hoping she could give me some details of what that was. When I questioned her about it and reminded her what he said, she said that shouldn't make any difference in recovery. She said knees recover the same regardless of what happens during surgery. I just looked at her and shook my head. I didn't even have the words or energy to tell her what I thought! I decided she wasn't worth getting worked up over it!

I went in the afternoon and had a neuro muscular massage. She really worked on those muscles that are balling up and screaming at me when when I try flexion. I think it should help. PT does that but as part of my therapy. This was an hour just concentrating on those muscles. She also did some lymphatic massage and the swelling is noticeably down today. I posted some pics earlier on how swollen I was.

I am hoping my baby steps keep improving and I start getting some bend to the knee. People fantasize about a lot of things....I fantasize about laying on my side with that knee bent, tying my shoes and putting my underwear on without a struggle!:roseshwr:
 
I don't know why your PA mentioned MUA when it's the swelling that's keeping your ROM down.

It sounds like that massage did a good job on your swelling! I pray it stays down since the Lymphatic Massage.
 
hi becky...i love the massage also, (the therapeutic massage the physiotherapist gives me), even though i wouldn't exactly call it pleasant but it feels healing! don't feel bad about tying your shoes ~ up until a couple weeks ago i needed help getting my slip-on shoe all the way on; never mind socks ~ i gave up on those weeks ago and shhhh, don't tell anyone, just started wearing underpants a couple weeks ago (unless i was going out in public). i also fantasize about sleeping on my side; i try for around 10 minutes but then the side of my knee starts to ache.

that neural massage sounds wonderful. take advantage of those treatments offered and yes, baby steps, and you will keep improving. i hope the Dilaudid works well for you and not too harsh side effects.:friends:
 
Aw! Becky, Nope don't let her get you down! I am glad you got something different for pain relieve, hope it is working for you. My goodness your knee looked so swollen I am sure that has a lot to do with your flexion. Be patient and take care of you right now. Sorry but I did laugh when I read about putting your underwear on:) Right after my surgery I remember crying and saying I can't even put my underwear on! The little things we take for granted. Hang in there, thinking of you and sending happy thoughts:friends:
 
I was right there with you Becky. Why add that extra pain of pulling them up. I liked wearing gowns. Nothing to pull up then!
 
@sistersinhim, yes gowns are the way to go for just around the house. i still wear my nightie that goes just below my knees around the house, and in the backyard, even for short walks on my street when the sun goes down; with a long blouse overtop of course.
 
I specifically bought a knee length gown to wear in the hospital and the first few weeks at home as well. The nurse said everyone should wear one of those! I normally don't wear a nightgown just a tank top to bed but it worked great!
 
Becky, I'm sorry for his knee is bring so difficult. Hopefully the OS will have more info on the surgery when you see him. Just keep on icing, elevating and resting the knee. It'll turn around when you least expect it. :yes:

After my infection surgery I had to learn how to dress without bending. The immbolizer brace never came off, so it's possible. I lived in my flannel granny gowns for about 4-5 days because I wasn't sure how my pants would go over the brace. Thank heavens for stretchy pj pants! But it is possible to get undies on without bending.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@becticu, if it's any consolation, my knee was at 30 degrees flexion at the two week check-up; ugh! The last time it was measured (about a week ago) it was at 78 flexion/-5 extension. It was quite swollen, very similar to yours judging by the photos you shared. Every time I see the PT he does massage for quite some time and I think this is probably the best thing next to elevation for reducing swelling. It's definitely the best thing about going to PT.:SUNsmile: For footwear, I just shuffled around in an old pair of Ugg slippers until I could manage shoes. My foot was also quite swollen, but that receded by the end of the first week. I could finally wrangle a pair of real shoes on at the end of week 3, so don't despair, it's coming.

I took Dilaudid for about a month post-THR and found it to be excellent for pain control and sleeping. I didn't have any strange side effects. At that time, Oxycodone made me nauseous, so it wasn't an option. Now, I'm taking the Oxy without any problem; puzzling!
As for underwear, well...they're overrated. Besides, who needs 'em when you're sporting TEDS! :flwrysmile: I wore nightshirts and sundresses with my TEDS and Uggs. I felt very fashion forward....in fact, I'd call it edgy, hah!
 
Becky,
I'm sorry your 2-week check-up brought you down. :console2:
You know this knee had a more difficult surgery, so it's only natural that it will take longer to recover. 40 degrees isn't too bad really, because this is so early in your recovery. You know it's going to improve as your knee heals and the swelling goes down.

As for the pain relief, I think I agree with your PA. You probably should be spending most of your time resting, and if you sleep as well your newest knee will appreciate that. Remember that your main job for the first month is to rest, ice, elevate and take your pain medications on a regular schedule. You shouldn't be trying to do normal things yet. Your first knee had an easy recovery, but this second knee is going to need more babying and TLC. Give it that extra time and it will end up just as good.
 
I hope the swelling in knee 2 goes away quickly. It sounds like are doing all the right things. Maybe it will decide to give knee 1 some competition for best knee. You could always quietly whisper to each one that you always liked them the best :heehee:
 
That's so weird that she thinks all knees should heal the same. I hate when I lose confidence in the supposed experts. But I hope the massage and new meds help you,turn a corner.
 
Hi Becky! Hope the new meds are doing their job. Time moves slowly for all the healing that needs done in our knees. Waiting is not one of my better qualities. I keep saying, "some day" I will feel normal again.:whistle:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom