MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

The machine I received at the hospital was a Donjoy Iceman with the universal wrap. 4 ice bottles kept everything cold for 6 hours
 
Catching up on your progress...so glad the ESI worked on your back! Hope that helps your upcoming surgery! It sounds like you are getting everything ready! I will be thinking of you!
 
Hi everyone, I've been reading and keeping up but haven't updated much this last week or so. I did have my epidural last week and it has helped the issue with my back a lot!

I am 9 weeks out now and 9 days until my right knee! I'm blessed that my range on the left was 0 and 125 although not from any aggressive PT. I've struggled much with the herniated disks in my lower back with much of the time my back bothering me more than my knee. I know the gait and laying, sitting different because of the knee threw the back out! I still have some pain around the knee but not in the joint itself.

I continue to be surprised that I don't feel like I can conquer the world, . The energy isn't back to normal and so thankful for this group letting me know that is normal!!

We made a long weekend trip to Florida this weekend to see my mother. She had a massive stroke two years ago July and I had been able to go down every month or two until my surgery. This was my window before June 5 when I get the right knee done. It's about a 10 hr drive and my sweet hubby drove it all and we stopped frequently to walk. I iced the entire ride so that helped. I'm much more swollen than normal and trying to elevate and ice as much as possible. My Momma is my hero! She was a very active 83 year old when she had her stroke. She is wheelchair bound and can't even stand on her own and requires total care. It took out her entire right side. She has aphasia, meaning she knows exactly what she wants to say but usually that isn't what comes out. I was privileged to be able to take care of her for 9 months last year. When I get discouraged I think of how she has handled this. She shows such grace and courage every day. I can't begin to imagine her frustration. My mom has always been one of my best friends and I miss being able to have those long conversations with her. She tells me Merry Christmas every day but I know she is saying I love you, but it comes out Merry Christmas. Every once in a while God blesses us with a very clear statement of what she is trying to say. When I come to visit I usually take over her total care so I can help out. It's difficult because I can't even really push her wheelchair this time but so thankful for the time with her.

Sorry I took up so much time about my Mom. She is an amazing woman who is so gifted in so many areas. I grew up going to the symphony all the time because she played the timpani (kettledrums). She did every craft imaginable and played the church organ the Sunday before her stroke. We get to stay until Tuesday evening when we go back to Chattanooga to get ready for my next surgery.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend. My Mom is a member if the DAR ( Daughters of American Revolution) and plan to take her to the special ceremony at the cemetery on Monday morning. Stay safe and rested if traveling!:cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Becky, it's wonderful to read of your special relationship with your mother. How blessed you both are! Enjoy your time with her!
 
Isn't it wonderful to get that ROM without the aggressive PT. You are a wonderful inspiration to those coming up behind you!
My mom had Alzheimer for about 5 years before she passed at 90 years old. One of my happiest moments, about
1 1/2 years before she passed, was when I walked into the room she was sitting in she recognized me and yelled out, "Paula!"! She hadn't known me at that time for at least a year. I was thrilled! That was her last time of knowing me. But, I have that memory.
Enjoy taking your mom to her outing. Be sure you have a place to sit down and elevate. I'm so glad that your back is doing better from your shot.
 
I'm so glad you got to see your mom. I am an SLP and recently evaluated a gentleman with that same kind of aphasia. It's got to be so frustrating to know what you want to say and have it come out wrong. I'm glad you know what she menas whe she says Merry Christmas. :roseshwr:

We leave Monday for FL. My husband will be driving and I'll be icing and attempting to elevate. Any other tips for surviving the drive?

Good luck next week. I'll be watching your posts carefully, since my #2 is about the same distance between surgeries as yours.
 
Another thing we have in common....my mom had her stroke at the age of 48, she is now 82, paralyzed on the right side but lost her right leg a few years back due to infection. Her aphasia is the same...knows what she wants to say but doesn't come out right. Her phrase is "I love you too. Come to see me"! Bless her...when she tells strangers I love you too, I have to explain that she is actually saying hello, how are you..and Mom says..yes. She does really well singing though so we sing with her a lot. I am hoping I can tolerate the 4.5 hr drive in a few more weeks. Enjoy your time with your Mom...the time flies by and I am sure you miss her the moment you leave!

Your second surgery is coming up quick! I will be thinking of you as you get closer!
 
What a sweet story of your mother! I lost my Mom 3 years ago just shy of her 93rd birthday. We were so very blessed that right up until the end she was sharp as can be and she died peacefully in her sleep. Neither she nor my Dad who is now 96 have any dementia type issues. That must be very difficult to deal with.

I miss her every day and I know if she were still here she would have been bringing me meals and fresh baked goodies during my recovery :-)
 
Becky, I loved reading about your mother. I miss mine everyday for the last 13 years. She was my very best friend. I'm so thankful she was in my life for almost 50 years.
I'm curious why doctors do one knee and then a few weeks later do the next one. What is the benefit of that over both at the same time?
I had both done on April 24, 2017, mainly because I'm was afraid I would never have the other knee done once experiencing the pain of recovery. So far, I'm so glad I went this route.
Please continue to let us know how you are doing, and be encouraged that you are feeling what most of us are feeling or have felt. God bless, Michele
 
i love hearing your stories about caring for parents. i had the privilege of caring for my dad when he had esophageal cancer and needed a feeding tube. he got me hooked on the soap "the bold and the beautiful" and i jokingly say i have to keep watching for him so i can tell him what happened when we meet again.

becticu...to address your comment about energy ~ i understand. i feel like i'm living in an alternate dimension at 5-1/2 weeks post op. i can't imagine you brave men and women driving yourselves or even as a passenger for hours, and going out a couple times a week for physio. it's no fun being a patient. i will never complain again about walking the dog :dogsniff: , the drudgery of housework or grandma's taxi! :alarm: have and safe and fun weekend.:driver:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @KarriB, it is you to hear from you. I am very blessed to still have her with me. I sometimes grieve what what we have lost because I so wish I could call and ask her about a recipe and that she could answer the question. However, I have her and we laugh a lot trying to figure out what she is trying to say when it doesn't come out right!

@sistersinhim, I think having a Mom with Alzheimer's is harder than what I have with Mom. I know she always knows who I am even if her speech doesn't say it. That moment with your Mom was a treasure. I'm glad you have that memory!

@Jennszoo, you are right, aphasia is so difficult. I'm glad she is in there but it's hard because her brain just can't say what she means. She can sing just about anything however. It's a different part of the brain. As far as traveling....we brought a large ice chest full of ice. I have two of the cloth/plastic type bags you can fill and screw the lids on. I kept one on top and one on bottom the entire ride. When the ice melted I just dumped the water and refilled. I also laid my gel packs in the chest on top of the ice. They weren't frozen but were nice and cold so I could use them. I also brought my ice machine to use at the house at night, etc. We stopped about every 3 hours and I walked. I was prepared to get in the back seat and put my leg on the seat but didn't have to. I also wore real comfy, soft workout pants. Long ones just so the ice bags wouldn't be too cold. I am visiting family so having a little hard time pacing myself like I need to. Good luck with your trip!
 
@LindaO, how are you doing?? It's good to hear from you. It is really kind of crazy how many similarities we have! I can't imagine your Mom had her stroke at 48. You mean when she was, not when you were 48? She has lived a lifetime with that. You would have been so young too. My Dad died and Mom had her stroke 3 months later. She had taken care of my Dad for several years as he was very ill with heart disease. 3 months wasn't enough time before that happened!! Mom can sing as well but that's because it takes a different part of her brain to sing than speak. She was actually a soloist and loved to sing. We will get home Wednesday morning so I'll have to Monday to get things in order to do this all over again. You lived that! I hope you are doing better every day. Which knee was easier?? It's a little scary starting over again!
 
@flyaway79 it is at times like this that we miss our parents even more isn't it? Even tho Momma has aphasia I can understand that she is saying she wishes she could be in Tennessee to help take care of me. It's always a Momma thing I guess! I always enjoy reading your story as we are just a couple of days apart in surgery. It's comforting to read about each other! I hope you are doing well!

Hi @AlaskaGrandy, I don't think we have talked yet. Wow you live in Alaska. How interesting and COLD?? I'm pretty much a southern girl. You asked why some Dr's don't do both knees together. @Celle was answering on your thread. What she wrote was the exact things my OS told me when I asked if he would do bilaterals on me. I actually wanted that. However I found I'm too much of a wimp, I honestly don't know if I would have survived! I truly am very scared that I am doing it again so soon, but if I don't I am not sure I will!! I admire your determination! I did have some back issues though so glad I was only dealing with my left knee and the herniated disks in my lower back. I'll be following your Story!
 
Hi @liam2015, this does change our life doesn't it?? I didn't start driving till about 6-7 weeks. I might have been able to before as it was my left knee but my husband wouldn't hear of it. I was also content to let him as I wasn't going anywhere except PT and church here and there. It is nice having some freedom now to drive somewhere by myself tho! He drove all the way to Fl though I wouldn't hear of letting me.

That energy drain is one of my biggest struggles! Will I ever feel "normal" again?? Walt says that normal is just a setting on the dryer, however I long to feel that way for even just a little while! All the experts in here tells us to be patient, it takes a year....I didn't pray for patience.... I hope your recovery is going well.
 
Becky, hope you are enjoying visiting with your family! It is hard to pace yourself when you want to visit with everyone! Do the best you can at your own pace!

Yes, unfortunately my Mom was 48 when she had her stroke... I think at the time the life expectancy after a stroke like that was about 5 years. Mom lived with her husband until he passed away in 2006...she has been in the nursing home since then...34 years living with her disabilities but she is such a strong person! I am so proud of her and her positive attitude!

Which knee was easier? I know everyone has different experiences and reactions...even harder for me to say since I had the MUA as well which hindered me some, but for me, I think the first was easier but not sure as everything mushes together in the pain medicine world of lala land! Just remember the reasons for doing them both and yes, although it is difficult for the next few months, the end result will be so awesome and the things we will be able to do will be liberating! So hang in there, keep positive thoughts and people close to you! We are all here for you and cheering you on!

Safe travel back home! :flwrysmile:
 
Glad to see you are back from your journey! I hope you had a great time with everyone!
Your date is coming up quick! I know you will do great! I may have to take a page from your book and get a massage therapist! That sounds like it is working for you and must feel heavenly as well! Surprisingly my back felt better after the MUA so the tight muscles/ligaments may have contributed to my back pain.

Keep us updated and know I have you in my prayers! :loveshwr:
 
[Bonesmart.org] My LTKR journey continues to RTKR< [Bonesmart.org] My LTKR journey continues to RTKR< Hi everyone, I survived my Fl trip with no issues! The 9 hour drive was a little longer than normal with frequent walking stops. We took a ice chest full of ice and I iced basically the entire trip and had very little swelling. I was able to find out the benefits of the pool! Mom has a gorgeous in ground pool and I used it every day. My knee felt so much better. I'm thinking a Y membership will be in my future.

I posted quite a bit about my mother and her stroke recovery and resilience. I am posting a picture of the two of us at Steak and Shake, her favorite after church in Sunday night place to go. I also talked about our membership in The Daughters of American Revolution. On Memorial Day she always carried the American Flag in the ceremony in their town. I took my Mom to the ceremony and they asked me to carry the flag in her honor. So there I was thinking, I would have dressed differently AND what if I limp, AND what if I step in a hole in the cemetery and land on my face! Thankfully I didn't limp and I remained upright! The second picture is of me carrying the flag.

My right knee is this Monday. I have to be at the hospital at 10am with surgery scheduled at 2p. Uggghh. I was hoping for an early morning. Soon, I will be on the other side yet again!
 
Back
Top Bottom