TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora I wish I could tell you that I felt strongly one way or the other about the e-stim unit and reducing swelling. I've used it since the beginning and that's my only experience so I don't know what to tell you. I'm more likely to think it probably does help some. It really tingles when you have it on and gets the blood circulating which has to be a good thing.
 
@gr82cu2
Janet, 100 ROM is nothing to sneeze at! It's great! I get very frustrated with the stiffness also. It gets that way very quickly. I'm constantly just standing up and bending my knee forward and backward before I make a step if I've been sitting still for even a few minutes, just to get it moving. And I saw where you were on hands and knees looking for a cat toy! Whew, if I had tried that I'd still be on the floor!
 
@ConnieJOS I know! I got down on my "good" knee and before I knew it my weight shifted to my op knee. Ouch! Actually it was weird. My knee hurt and felt dead all at the same time. I got off it in a second. I did the roll over and walk myself up from my feet trick and it worked. I've been doing that forever anyway because my knees hurt too bad to get down on them.

I know 100 is good for 3 weeks. I read on here all the time people who are several months out and struggling just to get to 90. I feel like I'm walking really well. I'm not even using a cane here at home. I just need that next 10-15 degrees to feel like I'm really where I need to be. I'll be able to stand so much easier and go up and down stairs like a big girl, not a toddler, LOL. I'll get there eventually. I just hope I have a month at least where I'm not constantly thinking about this knee before I do the other one. That would be nice!
 
Hi everyone! Today started out very well. Had a great PT session this morning. Really got a workout and I was feeling it when done. They did the ice and the e-stim again and it felt great. However I'm still having a hard time keeping the swelling down. And when it swells, it burns. I can ice and elevate and it goes down some, but I can still feel a burning sensation in the places that swell every time I stand up to walk. The tight rubber band feeling is strong, and the swelling is pretty much my whole leg. And if I rest and elevate too long I get so stiff even a heel slide is hard. I talked to the PT about it, and he told me what I already knew. It's unpredictable and some people swell for as much as a year! He says I'm doing all the right things and just continue. I believe that because my knee leaned in so much before, there's just a lot of tissue damage from straightening it. But ouch! Whew, this is a long road.
 
@ConnieJOS

Good Morning, indeed a long and winding roads with great heights and great lows for all who travel on this road to recovery. Some of us get there faster and as it isn't a race! those that take the slow pace Still get there in the end.

My tight rubber band or feel like someone is applying a Blood Pressure cuff on my leg above & below the incision left me last week at the end of week four. What a relief!

Hopefully, your tight band feeling will start to decrease over time,...

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@ConnieJOS
My tight rubber band or feel like someone is applying a Blood Pressure cuff on my leg above & below the incision left me last week at the end of week four. What a relief!

That's good news Cathie! I know that no two of us are alike, but week four is drawing near for me, so I'm still going to be hopeful that mine may go away at that time too!
 
Yes, I'm beginning to think it's a very delicate balance between overdoing and underdoing. If you overdo you get swelling, if you underdo you get stiff. It's frustrating to say the least. I keep thinking I should be able to get up and do more but when I try I can feel that swelling building. I wish there was some magic pill to stop that from happening. Hang in there Connie!
 
@g82cu2 @ConnieJOS @Pumpkln

Great Suggestion Janet, if the four of us could develop a "magic pill" that prevent TKRs from overdoing it and getting swelling & under doing it and getting stiff, think we'd make a fortune and all be able to retire to an island with Palm trees and white sandy beaches and an endless blue sky.
 
@g82cu2 @ConnieJOS @Pumpkln

Great Suggestion Janet, if the four of us could develop a "magic pill" that prevent TKRs from overdoing it and getting swelling & under doing it and getting stiff, think we'd make a fortune and all be able to retire to an island with Palm trees and white sandy beaches and an endless blue sky.
@marmora

I'm in!
 
I had another good PT session this morning. This is my half-way point! I thought PT three times a week for six weeks would drag out forever, but I've done it for three weeks now and it seems like I just started! We are working a lot on strength and balance. My ROM has been the same the last three times, 132. They said it's fine to stay right there. They just still measure to make sure I am maintaining it, and so far so good!
 
You are amazing Connie! 132? :wowspring::yes!: I got 107 today, still have a long ways to go but for 3 1/2 weeks I'm not unhappy.
 
@ConnieJOS @g82cu2 / Janet @kneeper

Connie Flexion of 132 ! :wowspring:
Congratulations, my PT feels if I get to 110-120 I would be able to do almost anything function wise.
Janet congratulations on 107% at 3.5 weeks :wowspring:

I am 5 weeks post-op and today at PT with a big effort & push managed to get to 95-100%. My joint is still very stiff and extension- knee still not straight.

So, happy for the two of you !:wow:

Cathie
 
You are all doing terrific! My Rom seems to still be improving with no effort - just living a normal life. That is at almost nine months out. On our way to our camper in South Jersey. Am looking forward to this escape before my surgery. I will only have six days when I get home for my LTKR. All of you doing so well is inspiring to me!
 
@Jozilla
Hi Janet,
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your happy holiday it will stand to you during your recovery that you had this lovely time away.

Cathie
 
@Mamora eggplant parm is very easy. I peel mine then slice very thin. I dip in a beaten egg and breadcrumbs and fry in olive oil just to golden brown. I then layer it like lasagna with your favorite sauce, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Maybe about three or four layers. The key is baking covered slowly in the oven - the slower the better at 275 degrees Fahrenheit. I am Italian but my Irish friend taught me this way! Talk soon!
 
I have no idea how the ROM came so easy for me. I have short stocky legs and fat thighs. I didn't think these things would bend at all after surgery. And I'm still having a terrible time with swelling. But after I work it out a little it gets pretty flexible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom