TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jozilla Have a great time camping and put the surgery out of our mind until you get home.

@marmora My PT told me 115-120 is what my surgeon looks for. Connie has blown that out of the water! You'll get there Cathie, in time. Your leg was so badly bent before surgery you have undoubtedly more healing to go through and those tendons need to get back to where they belong.

@ConnieJOS I have long stocky legs and fat thighs :rotfl:
 
My leg was crazy bent too. Leaning inward big time. I think all the work to straighten the soft tissue is what has made my swelling so bad.
 
I can't believe how quickly my incision is healing! It's disappearing fast!
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
 
Hi, how is everyone? I had a long PT session this morning. Started out with leg extensions and lifts with resistance bands and weights. Then did sit-to-stand, balancing on a rocker board, going up and down stairs and step exercises on a block, 10 minute on the bike. By the time I got to icing, elevating, and e-stim I was sweating like a pig! :dead: But, believe it or not I measured an amazing 140 ROM!
 
But, believe it or not I measured an amazing 140 ROM!

Get out of here!!! :yahoo: You are amazing woman!!! I'm insanely jealous :wink:

I colored my hair this morning and by the time I had stood on it for about 30 minutes I was nearly weeping, it hurt so bad. I could feel the pressure building the entire time and wonder if this will ever end. I've totally babied it for 4 weeks now. When I'm resting and off of it I think this is not bad at all but once I get up and on it for 15 minutes or so I'm wanting to get back down so bad. I don't know how you do it. I'm almost out of pain meds. Have to decide to call for more, or not. I'm so happy for you though. Keep up the good work!
 
I can't be on my feet very long at all. I hardly ever walk more than just to get in the car. I can be feeling pretty good lying down, but when I get up I get a heaviness around it. It gets tight and burns. It's a slow process. I'm still taking hydrcodone just about all the time, but I am only taking one at a time. I was taking two. It swells up like a bowling ball sometimes. We have surely seen the worst of it though. It has to be better soon! My OS says the six week point is when many people start seeing big improvement. We will make it!
 
@ConnieJOS

You are indeed the 'Bionic Woman"!

My afternoon 1-1PT session included some of the same exercises, but no e-stem and ice at home.
You surgery was 11days after mine, my Flexion was 95-almost 100 with a push.
I know we all heal and recover at different rates, but you are amazing-Congratulations !
Seeing my OS in the morning and will take it from there.

Knee Group post-TKR surgery is on Wednesday and found that great last week doing circuit PT, the time flew and having others doing with you provided a great spirit.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Yes, heaviness! That's what it is and it feels even more tight. I don't notice outward swelling too much though. It must all be inside the joint or something. I don't think Kent understands. He just came and asked me if I wanted to get out and go to Office Depot with him. I turned him down saying my leg was aching from this morning. He thinks I need to just push through it. Maybe I do? I asked him if he had ever watched a video of what was done to me. He hasn't. I think he would understand better if he did. Not feeling sorry for myself or expecting much sympathy from him or anyone but would like more understanding, I guess. I hope your OS is right about the 6 week turning of the corner. I'm more than ready! I know you are too :)
 
@g82cu2
Janet,

I couldn't even think of standing in one place that long to colour my hair, find standing hard going on the knees. Although, taking 3 thirty minutes walks per day as PT requires. Not distance - just time, but have to keep moving and using my 2 canes for support.
Today, although My knee was very stiff before the session and I felt I was limping and so did the PT when I walked into her room.

This roller coaster of up/ down and sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel gets faint gets me down.
Tomorrow, I see the OS and my PT ' thinks/feels' he might have the MUA conversation, so I'm prepared for that.

Take care,
Cathie:flwrysmile:
 
@ConnieJOS
Manipulation
Under
Anaesthetic

If ROM is hampered, under an anaesthetic in the operating room/ theatre, the knee is 'manipulated ' to increase Flexion. I am going to look on the internet for more information - it is only a slight possibility and as many on the BoneSmart form have said, it is ultimately my decision.

My PT who had been treating me for many years, feels that the OS may mentioned this tomorrow at my 6 week review and just wanted me to be prepared.

Knowing BoneSmart, I expect several posts in the next few days about the why & pros/cons of MUA.

Cathie
 
@marmora Cathie, I hope you don't need an MUA. Surely with 95-100 flex at 6 weeks he won't feel that is necessary yet. You amaze me with your walks, truly you do. You're right though.....just standing on it is worse than walking on it. Before I got to the point this morning where I could sit down my leg was shaking. Not sure if it was the pain or weakness. Wouldn't it be nice if we were all neighbors and could get together to console each other in person? Maybe have afternoon tea parties! Group PT sessions would even be fun, LOL.

xox
 
@g82cu2 Janet
@ConnieJOS
And all others. It would be lovely if we could all meet up in a lovely little Tea Shop for tea & scones .

I had a group PT session last Wednesday at the hospital where I had my surgery. There will be 5 sessions in total and all for post TKR patients. Some people lake me were week 5, some week 7 & 8 and one man was week 11.
It was fun, as it was run like a circuit class, after a 10 minute group warm -up holding on to the bar, each person did an exercise at a station for 5 minutes- then 30 - 60 rest and then on to station in a clock wise route and after our 8 stations, the group had a ten minute cool down. Very enjoyable and a lot of laughs.

Maybe if we or one of us "wins the lottery" we could organise a BoneSmart Summer Camp and we could all attend.

A bit worried about my OS appointment tomorrow.
And yes , I do know that I am in charge of my own knee and that I have been following the BoneSmart mantra and following my PT's advice.

But, glad that my appointment is at 9:00 am, so at least I don't have the whole day to think about it, also my husband is driving me and waiting for me, having taken a day off work, so if it's not raining planning on going to a garden centre after to get Autumn plants and then lunch. So, I will concentrate on that and not the OS appointment.

Cathie
 
@marmora Cathie I wish I can take your worries away! I do know that people post on here saying that their ROM improves up to a year or more. I know I have read about one woman on one of the threads that had a MUA and said it helped, but she had be stuck for a long time and had scar tissue. Try to get some rest, and try not to worry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom