TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ConnieJOS
I loved the CPM when I used it in the hospital, unfortunately there wasn't one available in the Rehab Centre.
I know done on the site, didn't like it. But, wouldn't mind getting a chance to use one again if Given the opportunity to improve my ROM.

Does the Durabond just fall off over time ? Or does it get removed by your OS ?
You are an advertisement for ROM !

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
The bonding agent will eventually disappear on it's own.
 
@marmora They don't have the CPM machine at my PT center either, at least not that I'm aware of. I just had it the two days I was in the hospital. I was more comfortable in that than any other position I could find.

@gr82cu2 My OS follow up went great. He said my x-rays look perfect and my incision is healing well. I found out what was on my incision was not the bonding stuff after all. It was some kind of tape. They took tweezers and gently pulled it off today. The incision looks so much better. I, like you, have my next follow up in four weeks and will discuss my right knee at that time. We will be hanging in there together for the next one too! Wouldn't it be weird if we ended up with the same surgery date again? :-)
 
Wouldn't it be weird if we ended up with the same surgery date again?

Ha! It would, wouldn't it? You never know!

When they took the tape off your incision did some of the scabbing come off too? I'm anxious for this glue to come off and bring some scabs it has glued down with it. Darrell said yesterday that at this stage the incision is really only 14% healed. I'm not sure what that means except I think it meant to not pick that glue off! LOL!!
 
With the tape mine didn't have what I would call scabs. There was a little dark red dried blood that came off with the tape. It looks very clean. I'll post a new "without tape" picture in a bit. I've got it all wrapped up with an ice pack right now. Dr told me to start using vitamin E oil on it in one week to help heal the scar. It has some rippling where the sutures were. He said vitamin E would help smooth that out too.

Had a good physical therapy session this morning. ROM is 132!! Can you believe it??
 
:wowspring: that is amazing Connie! Good for you. I have PT this afternoon. I don't have much hope in getting bigger rom today. My leg is really aching for some reason today. I did do my home exercises this morning hoping to loosen it up some.
 
Here is a pic of my incision with nothing on it.
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
 
@gr82cu2 I don't know why, Janet, but it seems the healing is so sporadic. It's like "two steps forward and one step back". I had a worse day yesterday with the pain and swelling. I was feeling discouraged. But today I just got up feeling better. I guess instead of steady improvement, we will have ups and downs, but the ups get more frequent and the downs will dwindle away.
 
@ConnieJOS

Hi Connie,
Lovely leg and scar seems fairly straight. Will have to post an update of my leg.

Yes, I think that most of us here know"the one step forward and two steps back & round and round the mulberry bush dance".
No two days are the same and sometimes each hour our knee or knees are telling us a different story.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Your scar looks really good. I bet it will fade away to practically nothing. I think when we have a good day we tend to do more and that can sometimes set us back the following day. But, you're right. The up days will get more frequent while the down days start to go away. I didn't have a great day at PT today as predicted. No improvement since Wednesday. My regular PT was not there. She was off visiting her boyfriend in Atlanta. The one I had today I wasn't a big fan of, LOL. She was more pushy and actually brought me nearly to tears at one point. Michelle will be back next week though and all will be right with the world again.
 
I have seen two PT's so far and they are both men. I like them both a lot. Very encouraging. They will push me to do all I can, which I want them to, but not past that. I'm the final say on how far I can go. I like it that way.
 
I have to say this is the best group of BoneSmarties that have had surgery around the same time since I became a member - maybe 18 months ago. You are all doing extremely well, are very supportive of each other and have great attitudes. I hope anyone pre tkr reads all of your recovery posts and feels reassured.
 
@Jozilla, thanks! I think we all need each other and need to help each other. It's a win, win for all of us. And hopefully future tkr peeps will come along and feel encouraged to know that not all recoveries are a death march and know they too can have the support of others going through the same thing.
 
I had my best LTKR day and my worst LTKR day all wrapped up in one day yesterday. I got up feeling good and went to PT. Since I was feeling strong, I may have pushed myself a little too hard. After PT I had to stop by my workplace to drop off some paperwork I had done at home. While I was there my knee started throbbing and I knew it was swelling. I went home, had some lunch, then laid down to rest, elevate, ice, and medicate. I still had some pain and swelling, but thought I felt well enough to go out to have dinner with my husband. While we were there it started swelling more and more. I even had my foot in a chair and asked the waitress for a bag of ice to put on it while I finished my dinner! (Thank you O'Charleys.). By the time I got home here is what it looked like. I iced and elevated through the night and it's much better this morning. I was feeling really discouraged that this happened almost three weeks after surgery. But in reality, this is still a relatively short period of time. I suppose it's all part of the journey.
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think you better have an ice and elevate day! Sometimes especially early in recovery we think we are better than we really are. Sounds like you had a very busy day though! I iced most of the day and night for about seven weeks. After that just when needed. Good news is it gets better!
 
Ouch!!! You must have entered the famed ODIC yesterday. Take it easy today. That is your punishment :loll:
 
Hmmm. Help me out here. ODIC? Over Did It C____ ? Club maybe? I hadn't heard that one.
 
Yes Club! We are all members. Lol
 
:hi: @ConnieJOS @g82cu2 @Jozilla
Connie, yes a member of the Royal a Order of the ODIC award goes to you today !
It's one club that we should all try to avoid joining.

As the others have said, today is the Rest-Elevate - Ice club day.

Take care and tomorrow is another new day for us all.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom