TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear what others have done regarding pain meds. I am 19 days out and I'm still taking hydrocodone every four hours even at night. I didn't take nearly this much with my hips, but the knee has been a lot more painful. Should I be concerned? I have never taken more than prescribed, and I won't. And the dr gave me several refills so he must expect that I may need them. The instructions are 1 or 2 every four to six hours. I take 1 during the day and two at bedtime and in the middle of the night, but they do seem to wear off at 4 hours so I don't wait six hours. They are 10 mg hydrocodone. Does that sound like too much?
 
I don't think it sounds like too much if that is what you need to stay comfortable. You are taking them as prescribed and not abusing them in any way. What you may have to do though is taper off when the time comes and not go cold turkey. But then, I'm not even sure about that. I don't know what would happen if you just suddenly stopped one day. I'm taking one 5 mg oxycodone three times a day, about 6 hours apart and Tramadol 37.5 mg. also about 3 times a day. I alternate them and it seems to do ok. I have enough oxycodone (percocet without the tylenol) to last me probably another 10 days or so. He gave me 90 in one Rx when I came home from the hospital. At this point I doubt I could get along with only the Tramadol which I have a refill on but maybe in another 10 days I will be able to. I also take Celebrex twice a day. I stopped setting an alarm for meds in the night 10 or so days ago and have done fine. Really, as long as I'm laying around with my leg up I'm pretty comfortable as is.
 
I only have the one medication but 2 10 mg pills is a pretty strong dose. I read that a 5 mg oxycodone is equivalent to a 7.5 mg hydrocodone. It's a little stronger drug. I do get concerned about how it will feel stopping it. I was trying to take only 1 every 4 hours but that ODIC initiation I had this weekend put me back on two. But like you said, when I'm ready I'll just taper off. Maybe it won't be bad.
 
Hi ConnieJOS I think it's best to gradually cut down as your pain decreases. First just cut back to one 10 mg tablet. When you are good with that dosage and your pain is controlled you can just cut the pills in half. From there you should be able to just get off them. He probably gave you that dosage as you have already had your hips done and need the other knee done. It is easier to recover and do PT when your pain is controlled! Your OS seems to understand this. Also if you do a search in the library there is a section about getting off pain medication. Good luck!
 
I agree with Jozilla. First though, get yourself out of ODIC and lock the door to the club house behind you so you don't go back in :) You can do this very, very gradually. Especially considering you said you have several refills. Or you could contact your doctor and ask for something to alternate with the hydrocodone you have now. Tramadol with Tylenol is working pretty well for me. Here's an example of how I've been taking my meds. At 9 am I take 1 Oxycodone, at noon I take 1 Tramadol, at 3pm I take one Oxycodone, at 6 pm I take 1 Tramadol, at 9pm I take 1 Oxycodone. My oxycodone was written to take 1-2 every 6 hours. I don't think I've ever taken 2 at the same time.
 
That would be helpful to have something to alternate. I just started with 2 every 4 hours because that's what they gave me in the hospital, and they told me to continue that. I'm trying to take some of the daytime doses down to just one but sometimes that just doesn't control the pain, especially if I'm out and about.
 
I think it helps to stretch out the time between the really hard stuff. Does your hydrocodone have Tylenol in it?

You get out and about a lot more than I have which is probably why I've gotten by on less pain meds. Sometimes I think I'm becoming one with my couch and ice packs.
 
My first 4 weeks post-op I was also taking 2 Hydrocodone every 6 hours which kept me pain free and happy. If you need 2, take them. After the fourth week I began the change to Tremadol 50 mg along with OTC meds. Two before PT and another one or two before bed. If I was having a bad day I did'nt feel bad about taking additional Tremadols. Now in my 8th week I hope to be using only OTC meds but after going back to work full time next week I'll still use the Tremadol if I'm having a bad day. Getting off the Hydrocodone was not that hard. Don't be afraid to use it if you need it.
 
Yes I may get out too much. We like to eat out and more than ever since I'm not cooking. Melvin cooks some and he's good at it but doesn't want to do it every day. Of course we eat sandwiches and stuff in between. But I have physical therapy three times a week, and I have to go into the office some. Even working at home I sit in a folding chair at a card table I use for a desk. My pain level is much lower when I can get more rest. Yes my hydrocodone is 10 mg with 325 mg Tylenol.
 
Ok, I was just thinking that if your Hydrocodone didn't have Tylenol in it maybe you could supplement with Tylenol but I guess that won't work. Are you taking any kind of anti-inflammatory medicine? I know Josephine says it doesn't treat pain but in my mind it does by reducing inflammation which causes pain.
 
You might try taking Ibuprofen or Naproxen if you are off blood thinners now. I know some people can't tolerate them though. I just wonder if me being on Celebrex is also helping by keeping the inflammation down some. Maybe you could call your doctor and ask if you could add in an anti-inflammatory.
 
@ConnieJOS @g82cu2 @Big Tuna
I am 32 days post-op from LTKR.

My pain physmedication programme at this stage is:
Tylex 30mg codeine/ 500mg Paracetamol ~ two tablets to be taken three times daily/ maximum 6 in a day
Paracetamol 500mg ~ 2 tablets to be taken instead of Tylex or take 1 paracetamol & 1 Tylex
Diazepam (Valium) ~ one tablet to be taken as required up to 3 per day
OxyNorm 5 mg (Oxycodone hydrochloride) immediate release capsule for break through pain.

  • 7:30/8:00 am. - Tylex ( 30 mg codeine / 500mg paracetamol. Either 2 tablets or take 1 table of Tylex & 1 tablet of just Paracetamol
  • Take all my other non-related pain/knee tablets with breakfast - including Xarelto
  • Take first of my 30 minute daily walks
  • 30 minutes prior to out-patient PT take 1 Valium to relax muscles ( Monday & Wednesday)- other days just do my three at home/self-directed PT exercises
  • 12:30/1:00 pm - now take 2 Paracetamol tablets, lunch, then rest, ice and elevate for 1-2 hours
  • Take second 30 minute walk and at home PT exercise routine. Then ice and elevate and usually fall asleep for about 60-90 minutes.
  • 5:30/6:00 take either 1 Tylex or 1 Paracetamol depending on what my knee is telling me
  • Dinner and then last of 30 minute walks with Des along Sandymount Strand or Herbert Park
  • Elevate and icy and chill out watching telly or reading until about 10:00/10:30 pm
  • 10:30 take 2 Tylex and 1 Valium and elevate and put on Cryo cuff filed with 'magic' icy water then read or catch up on BS until getting sleepy
  • Usually wake at 2:30/3:30 for toilet or mild pain - sometimes take 1 Paracetamol and re-ice knee
  • Usually wake again at 5:30/6:00 and again re-ice
  • 7:30/8:00 am - the routine pretty much starts all over again
  • VERY occasionally do I need to take the OxyNorm for break through pain - maybe only 2-3 times in the week
This is what my pain med programme is now and think that this week I may reduce the Tylex and see how I get on with just 2 Paracetamol tablets.

This is working for me at the moment, but what I have learned from BS is that we all have different levels of pain and we each have to find a pain medication programme that works for us.

* can't take Tramadol it makes me sick

Take care
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Connie, please remember that you are still in the early stages of your recovery! You have pain. You should be taking these meds on a regular schedule until your pain greatly lessens. I took my hydrocodone 7.5mg for 3 weeks, then switched to 5mg for a couple more weeks before stepping down to Tramadol for another 3 weeks. You need to do whatever it takes to keep the pain managed.

But....don't fall into the trap that, because your pain is managed it's a signal you can do more activity. Your recent experience tells you that you need to be mindful of trying too many outings in a day. At this point, you really need to hold it down to one. Since your hubby likes restaurant food, maybe he could bring home "to go" meals for you.

I hope you take more than just one day of resting. If you're hurting, you need to slow down. Remember we tell folks not to plan to resume normal activities like work and errands until 10-12 weeks out....and then only gradually. You're not quite there yet!
 
Hey how is everyone?? I hope you all have had a great day. I had a great PT session this morning. They just keep adding new "moves" but that keeps it interesting. Today they connected me to some sort of machine with electrodes that stimulate the muscles. I had never heard of it, but the PT thought it might help with my swelling. They said that place that is swelling is the same place where I had the drain when I came out of surgery, so they must have known there was a lot of trauma to the tissues in that area. But other than that, I'm coming through this thing with flying colors. Feeling optimistic about getting the next and LAST one done in the Fall.
 
Hi Connie! That is an e-stim or NMES. I have one at home to use. I used it prior to surgery to build strength and endurance in my quad muscle. Since surgery I've used it to reduce swelling and on another setting I use it while I do my exercises. I have no idea if it helps but I guess it doesn't hurt, either.

My 2nd surgery is scheduled for November 4th!! Can we do this together again? :heehee:

I keep meaning to ask you and then I forget. When they measure your flexion what position are you and your leg in when they do it? They always have me laying down on a table, pulling my foot towards my butt with a strap. If I'm sitting up on the table with my legs hanging off it seems like my leg looks bent much further. Just curious.

I have PT tomorrow afternoon.
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet! I had seen where you mentioned a machine but I didn't realize this is the same thing. How did you end up with one at home? Did the surgeon recommend buying one? They put it on me with ice at the same time. It seemed relaxing but I don't know if it did anything for swelling or not.

They measure my flexion same as you. Lying on my back, strap around my foot. They tell me to move it towards my butt as far as I can then tug it a little further by pulling the strap.

It would be nice to finish this thing out together. It could happen! November 4 is on a Tuesday and my OS does all his surgeries on Mondays or Tuesdays!
 
@g82cu2. Hi Janet,

@ConnieJOS Hi Connie,

At my PT session on Monday, the physiotherapist mentioned using the E-Stim during my next session on Friday. And that I could also, if I felt it had a benefit for the knee, rent one on a monthly basis.

For my Flexion / ROM it was measured in the hospital where I had the surgery, in the Rehab Centre and with my Out-Patient physiotherapist; with me sitting on the edge of the treatment table, as you would when sitting on a chair and me pushing my leg back as far under the treatment table as I could and then the use the measuring device. Today it was at 95%. So hope for 100% on Friday.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Yes my surgeon prescribed it and my insurance covered it. It was an expensive thing too! With the knee wrap and the electronic unit they billed my insurance over $2,000! I used the wrap before surgery and and now I just use the stick on electrode pads.

Yep, 11/4 is a Tuesday! Wouldn't that be something to have the same date again? I think you're beating me across the finish line though with your spectacular recovery and ROM. I know all in all, I'm doing well for this stage even with just 100 flexion but I just want to get on with it and lose this dang stiffness. I don't think it would be possible for a person to ice and elevate more than I have.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom