TKR My Life on the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ConnieJOS Great, imagine what you could do without the swelling! You are doing awesome. My hubby's doc said he didn't think hubby would be able to get much past 120 when he did the surgery (knee was really bad) but a few weeks ago he was already past that.
 
My PT was mostly the same exercises I had at the hospital and that I had been doing at home. I went through the set then they measured ROM at the end. I really liked the therapist. He is nice and gentle. He said he likes to go slowly with steady progress. He didn't try to push me at all. He did use a stretchy band to pull and give me some resistance, but no force at all. He then talked to me about proper use of a cane for stairs and a few things like that. Then he had me rest with a cold pack on for a few minutes. It was a good session. Oh, he also took the dressing off the incision and left me with just the dura bond. The incision looks fine, and as you can see, my swelling is down a lot from yesterday.
[Bonesmart.org] My Life on the Other Side
 
Wow way to go with that ROM! You will for sure see improvement, too, once your swelling goes down.
 
Your swelling does look to be down quite a bit from yesterday. I keep thinking I should measure my knee and thigh to monitor if it is really coming down, going up or what. Congrats again on the 120. That is awesome!
 
Great news for you. You are doing great and I am glad your PT was supportive and gentle - makes everything easier. Congratulations.
 
I had my TKR one week ago and am doing great with it. However, I do have a concern. I do t think it's enough to call the OS about, but it will ask him about this when I go for my follow up next Thursday. When I bend my knee I hear a cracking sound. It's vey similar to the sound before surgery. Has anyone else had this? Is it normal or does it mean something is wrong?
 
I had a click clack sound. In fact sometimes I still do. Not often but it does happen.
 
I think it is very normal especially early in recovery. You sound great otherwise so I would not worry about it.
 
Wow, at 125 flexion today! It's only my second session, and I'll get a total of 18 sessions. He said since we won't have to work on ROM so much, that leaves more time to work on strength, agility, and balance. That will be great because I need a LOT of improvement in those areas.
 
I've had a rough night. I had been taking two 10/325 hydrocodone pretty much every four hous since surgery. I have tried just taking one and it just doesn't control the pain. So yesterday evening we actually went out to eat. I hadn't been out anywhere post op. I was so sleepy I was about to nod out right there in the restaurant. I checked my blood pressure and it was very low. Kept an eye on it and it actually dropped to 71/42. It scared me and I was afraid if I rooks the hydrocodone it just might put me to sleep for good! I only took one every 4 hours last night, but that doesn't really keep the pain in check. My blood pressure is now 116/58 which is better. I'm not going to take my blood pressure meds until it goes up higher, then maybe I can take the needed pain meds.
 
Does anyone know if I can change the name of my thread? It's now way past "my fifth day on the other side". I didn't realize I would continue using the same thread for everything.
 
Yikes! @ConnieJOS I take it you have your own blood pressure monitor. Keep an eye on that. I've been doing the sleepy sleepy thing too. One minute I'm fine, the next I'm nodding off. It's weird! If I didn't fight it I'd be asleep half the day. It doesn't seem to be related to the timing of taking my meds either. I've been taking about one 60-90 minute nap a day, usually in the afternoon.

Is low blood pressure a side effect of hydrocodone? I've been taking my BP meds and as far as I know my BP has been ok. I haven't felt strange or anything. Did you have this problem when you had your hips replaced? Hang in there! And keep an eye on that blood pressure! (((hugs)))
 
oh, to change the title of your thread you need to tag a moderator. I wish I could tell you which one. Maybe they all can do it.
 
@gr82cu2 Yes, hydrocodone can cause a drop in blood pressure. It has happened with all three surgeries but not nearly this low. With both hips my BP went so low they didn't give me any BP meds while I was in the hospital. The anesthesia brings it down too. But is came back to normal after a few days. Of course I've taken a lot more pain meds with my knee than I did my hips.
 
Yikes! It sounds like bp meds plus pain meds takes your pressure too low. Have you talked to your doc about this?
Congratulations on the great ROM! :yay:
 
@kneeper The hospital didn't give me BP meds at all while I was there for my two hip replacements because it went too low. I talked to my PCP when I got out and he cut my BP dosage in half, but it dropped way down after this surgery too. I didn't take any BP meds today and my BP is now 116 over 68, so maybe it will be ok for now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom