Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Dawn, I'm working on a bout of plantar fasciitis myself. You'll need to be very, very patient and religious with those stretches. It takes quite a while to clear up. I think you were wise to go the conservative route and not get the cortisone shot. Other options are an ultrasound treatment and/or a treatment that involves topical cortisone delivered with an electrical stimulus (can be expensive and not always covered by all insurance). I've done both of these for about 4 weeks and mine is improving....but sloooooow!
 
Happy Birthday Dawn!:flwrysmile: Never fret about you're becoming another year older my dear, because the years never go backwards, enjoy the one you're in! It sounds like a great day with your friend, and that chocolate martini sounds delicious!:martini:
 
Happy Birthday Dawn
It sounds like you have a great day of celebration planned, enjoy.
Sure wish I could join you for that Chocolate Martini, they are my favorite.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Dawn!
 
I've tried several times to start a new thread. It won't let me write anything in the space for the title or the message space. So, I'm back here hoping someone can give me more specific directions.

Dawn, I met with the orthopedic, they had a fill in from Portland, Oregon, and Dr. Solaria was not there. My tape recorder didn't work as planned. I should have been taking notes. Bottom line, he said avoid surgery as long as possible; do exercises that will stretch the flexion -ie pull back on my leg, like the noodle routine I was doing in the pool... I should do a lot my present PT has been telling me to back off in doing. It leaves me conflicted. The best PT for really stretching me was the PT in Burlington who used the Red Cord therapy that I saw briefly when my OS gave me 2 weeks to get better range of motion or else - MUA. We'll see. Not sure how to heed all of this. Too many voices...

He also felt that my cracking issues were unrelated. "You've got gray hair you didn't have before the surgery, too. Did the surgery cause your gray hair?" That one really didn't set well with me. My cracking issues, which he heard plenty of, he totally dismissed. I didn't have them before the surgery and I really could use the 2 hours of sleep I've been missing due to the cracking. I came home and slept away the afternoon. I was awake several times last night. Guess I needed it, but I'm pretty numb - so conflicted I don't know what to do about PT, but I guess I'll not seek surgery anytime soon.
 
PS Happy Birthday. I was in Windsor today. I could have used a chocolate martini after my appointment. Nother time. Nice job with the classy, flashy card - Bottomshollow - or is it Judy?
 
Thanks everyone, the day was very nice! My friend, who is actually my assistant at work is a younger gal who has never had much mentoring. She is so bright with a ton of potential. It makes me feel good to help her develop into the professional she can be. She looked so good in the makeup and we found her a few new outfits that were adorable. Having two boys and no girls never gave me the opportunity to do all these girls things.....it was fun!

Martha, the OS sounds like someone I would not see again. Those kind of remarks about not having gray hair before surgery, etc, are a sure sign that he doesn't care. The pt you are seeing now seems to be getting you somewhere, albeit slow. You may want to stick with that for now. Also you mentioned going to Boston, so that may be another path. I know the wait list is long for Dr. Houde but you may want to get an appointment scheduled for him as a backup plan. I guarantee he would never say anything like that other OS, and he would be mortified if he heard about it.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Hi friends,

It's been about a month since I checked in last. The knee is doing okay, I need to spend more time exercising to build strength and keep the flexion/extension I have gained. It's a matter of choosing to devote more time to my health.

On the plantar fasciatis, that has continued to plague me. I saw a podiatrist about a month ago, he prescribed stronger anti inflamatories, and continued stretching but didn't help.

Today I went back for my checkup. We discussed that I could keep working on it, or he could give me a cortisone shot. He said it would hurt, but should provide relief. I went for the shot. Imagine a long needle in your heel for 10 seconds....omg, it really hurt. I hope it helps. He said for most people this will help with the pain and root cause. I go back in two weeks.

I will keep you posted. I sure hope this is the answer, fingers crossed!

Be well,

Dawn
 
He said it would hurt, but should provide relief. I went for the shot. Imagine a long needle in your heel for 10 seconds....omg, it really hurt
Boy, did he lie to you! I had cortisone in both feet, and I yelled and screamed things I never thought that I would say in a doctor's office.

For what it is worth, the cortisone shots did help immensely for me; I hope they do the same for you!
 
Lol Tim, my husband asked how much I yelled! I started to jerk my foot but he had a death grip and wasn't letting go. I just kept counting down and exhaling....that was a shot I never want to repeat! You are trooper getting the shot in each foot.

Glad to know it worked for you, gives me hope!

Thanks for the support!
 
With your plantar fascitis, have you tried this:
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

It is called a Pro-Stretch; I have used it for quite some time and it has really really helped with mine and my wife's.
 
I wore an ankle brace every night to bed that kept my ankle from stretching out - it was held it in the bent position it is usually in during the day. It brought about night and day difference. When I didn't use the brace, it hurt. When I did use it, it didn't hurt.

When I had cortisone shots in my knee before TKR, they would spray the area with something really cold that truly was an effective distraction. I really didn't notice the pain of the long needle. I certainly did notice it when I had a corisone shot in my shoulder for a torn rotator cuff.
 
hen I had cortisone shots in my knee before TKR, they would spray the area with something really cold that truly was an effective distraction. I really didn't notice the pain of the long needle.
Same for me-- a little discomfort, but that was about it! I got more relief from the cortisone than I did the SynVisc.
 
Dawn, you live close enough to me. Let me know if you'd like to borrow my the ankle brace I used for plantar fascia and give it a try. It is mostly a durable plastic and uses Velcro straps making it pretty much a one size fits all. It worked wonders for a friend of mine's too.
 
Thanks Tim and Martha, I appreciate the suggestions!

I am going to give it a few days to see if the shot makes a difference. The doc suggested laying low for a couple days then start back to stretching. It was still a bit sore today, will see what tomorrow brings.

Martha, I will circle back to you if I decide I want to try your brace. I greatly appreciate the offer!

Be well!
 
I used a borrowed brace when I had PF a few years back, and it helped a lot. The thought of the needle in my heel was enough to make me try hot coals first! That brace and stretching exercises and a ribbed footsie roller really did the trick. I hope it resolves for you soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom