Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Just "found" you today Dawn and glad I did. You have been through it and I appreciate learning about the great shoes and workouts you have found so effective. My husband had a go-around with pf and found the inserts helped immeasurably. Off to a podiatrist for you, as Nanners suggested. Have you tried acupuncture for the PF? A good orthopedic acupuncturist might be able to help.

It was so encouraging to see how much ROM and extension you've been able to develop. While not going through quite as much to get there as you faced, I have a really awesome PT (with a doctorate in it so she had worked on cadavers to really understand all the muscle and tendon interactions and insertion points, etc.) as well as a friend who is a highly trained massage therapist who understands all of that and the lymph systems and is certified in cranial sacral etc. Used my friend to get the swelling down in the first two weeks before I went "out" to PT for the right knee, and now replicating for the left knee later this week. After my hips were replaced 10 years ago, my PT saw immediately I had never gotten full extension back in my hips which, coupled with the years of deterioration in the knees, had caused me to lose so much quad and had a lot of hamstring atrophy. Though I did not develop the tiptoe approach as you did, yes, getting to 0 is still a bear! Between the two of them working the hip flexors, IT bands, some other ligaments & connectors I've never heard of, we made great progress on the right and I am SOOOOO (not) looking foward to starting up with the left on Friday!

Your conquests give us all encouragement! Enjoy the wedding prep!
 
Hi Lynn, Good to meet you! It has been quite a battle with the knee. It's so hard to know what will work since we are unique with issues that challenge us. I found the variety of ideas and suggestions was what led me down the path to getting better. We have a diverse group here with a world of first person experience. I could not have gotten this far without Bonesmart! You are a brave woman to tackle two hips at once and now 2 knees nearly at once. It sounds like your regimen is working perfectly for you. You are farther along the learning curve than most, so congrats. I will follow your thread and help if needed!

I will get an appointment with a podiatrist. I thought about the acupuncture route with my knee so maybe can treat both issues. My work schedule has slowed a bit and I have made it a priority to work on my well being into the future. Like so many of us, I put my needs low on the list of priorities which is likely why I am where I am. Time to change that; baby steps!

I got the new shoes yesterday and promptly sent them back. I wore them around all day at the office and had heel pain right away.

Day 2 on the bike and it feels good. I do a lot of reading in the morning so it's perfect wake up routine. We had -12 on the thermometer this morning, not looking forward to going out into that!!

Be well friends and thanks being there, it means the world to me!

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn!
I finally caught up wioth you! I had to take a little time away from here. A little attitude adjustment. Better now.
I am so thrilled that you had a revision and that you are healing well. We struggled together for so long, I'm glad you are on your way.
Isn't gettting old fun? Plantar fasciatis is one miserable situation. My huisband suffered with it for months. Do go see a Podiatrist. DH went and was given an insert for his shoes. There is a catalogue called "Footsmart" that has a few pages of items that ease PF. The other thing DH uses is the Dr. Scholls inserts that he got at Walmart (I know, Wally-world isn't in VT but you can get them elsewhere- Google it)
Anyway, I am so glad things are looking up for you. Plantar Fasciatis is really a self-limited annoyance.
Have a good time in FL! Best to get out of the Deep Freeze here in the Northeast!
xx
Sandy
 
Hi sandy,

Really glad you're back! I can also see the uptick in how you are feeling. Maybe this is year we will both reach new heights in our recoveries! I for one think we deserve it!

I will call today for the podiatrist. It's so annoying is right. My colleagues are just now expecting that I'm well and bam, the pf shows up...yuck. I did buy some inserts which have helped a bit. I am also going to try and get down to Concord to The Walking Company as I think you suggested, and really try on the shoes before buying. I hate ordering something, it doesn't work out and then having to send it back

It's no fun getting old. I turn 50 in February and have been in denial that I am at the dreaded middle age. In my mind, I am still in high school playing basketball and doing layups! Of course it beats the alternative!

Day three on the bike, upped the resistance and will try this for a few days. It does feel good to get warmed up for the day!

Florida will be a welcome relief from the cold. It was -10 when I left for Middlebury, vt yesterday; at midday it was 8 degrees and felt like a heat wave! It's all relative!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Hi friends,

I have been away for a week or so. I was at a conference in Florida since Sunday last week. It was mid 70's all week, and humid.

I was pleased with how well the knee did this year compared to last year. There was a lot more walking. We were at a huge resort with two hotels. The meetings were spaced between the far end of each hotel. It was a 10 minute walk between them and I made the walk at least two times a day. I had some swelling at my ankles and I was sore, but nothing too bad. It did however make me realize even more how much I need to focus on general fitness and losing weight. I did get winded easily and was completely exhausted by the time Thursday came along. I was so glad to be home!

The plantar fasciitis however was awful. The right heel hurt pretty badly most days. I keep stretching and have bought insoles for all my shoes. They help some but not enough. I can't see a podiatrist until February, so have to just wait it out.

Overall feeling fairly good about my progress. I am so glad I had the revision in August. While it was a hard decision, it was the right path for me. I see my OS in another couple weeks and I am hopeful he will be pleased as well.

For those that are still struggling, don't give up. Keep searching for your solution, whatever that may be. It's been a long journey for me, and at times I was ready to throw in the towel. But with sage advice from Bonesmart, persistence and a dose of patience, you can get there.

Thanks for being out there friends!

Be well,

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Wonderful update, Dawn. You went through so much with this knee, but stuck it out and finally got good results. Now, if you can just get that plantar fascitis to clear up, you'll really be on your way. Yep, I suspect that a lot of us need to get fitter and lose some weight--me included.

Take care and keep us updated. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Thanks Judy and Kelly,

I must admit I was pretty proud of myself to be able to get around on the knee as well as I did. So many of my colleagues kept saying how well I was walking, which made me feel great. As always there is continued work to do, but this seemed like a great test to pass!

Kelly, I have two clients who have had knee issues that are back in the slopes and love it. Now they haven't had replacement yet, so I mentioned your story and they were wowed! It was inspiring to them, as you have been to me!

It was also pretty funny to learn their OS is also my OS. He is a treasure and we are so lucky to have him on our team!

Be well friends!
 
When I had PF my podiatrist had me doing something interesting. I would put my hands on the wall and that foot behind me and slowwwwlllyyy stretch it a little more at a time. I repeated this 10 times 3 times a day and after a couple of weeks, the pain went away! :happydance:

Now, if I could only get my VMO muscle to respond...... :happydance:

Oh and by the way these statements are not meant as a substitute for your doctor's advice...... But I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express several times! :rotfl:
 
Dawn,
Great to hear how well you did at your conference, nice to be able to lead you life without you knee determining what happens. Now to work on fitness and getting the PF addressed. Glad you have an appointment with a podiatrist coming up soon. Take good care,
 
Dawn, How frustrating to have your knee better and then to have PF!! I feel for you, that pain started to get me down last summer. Just when I thought I could not stand it one more day---i looked around and realized that it had gone!! I also did work on stretching my achilles tendon and my calf--good advice anyway!!

I am happily skiing again----the snow is absolutely awesome this year. Kelly
 
Hi friends,

I had my checkup with the OS. He is very pleased with my progress, about 2 on extension and 122 or better for flexion. We are both happy with the outcome and he has paroled me for another 6 months!

This is why I love my doc; he said he had been thinking about my knee and how much scar tissue it had produced between the TKR, mua and the revision. He said he removed any visible scar tissue he could see when he did the TKR, and broke up several adhesions when he did the MUA and really felt the MUA would be the answer. Then when he did the revision, it was so full of scar tissue he could hardly believe it. He said they took a very long time to remove the tissue and release the capsule and went way up behind the knee. He said he didn't think he would have done it any differently, even know knowing what we now know. He asked me what I thought; why I recovered better after the revision.

I told him I felt it was due to following the Bonesmart way. Rest, ice, elevate, control swelling and pain. I never pushed to the point of pain, I focused on a slow, gentle approach, I had pt do lymphatic massage, and I stayed in control. I have given him the website and I hope he visits. Interestingly, he is moving to a different hospital that is changing their focus to be more patient centric. It's about the same size as he's been at, but has a new CEO that shares his vision for patient care. Thankfully it's even closer than before!

After reading some of the horror stories here about awful experiences, I really count my blessings. I wish everyone could have my OS, he really is the best!

So, on to conquer the pf. It's still bothersome, but not as bad as it had been. I found a pair of shoes that I really like, brand name is Klogs. They have a great heel bed and wonderful arch support. And they give as you walk. Although they look like little loaves of bread, skigirl, that's for you, I love them!!

Stay strong my friends! Will keep in touch!

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
I used to be into what I would call really feminine looking shoes---hated anything cloggy----but not now! I don't care what the shoes look like as long as my feet feel good! :snork: I've got some of those little loaves of bread and they are great!!!!!!!


Great update, Dawn. Your ROM is very good, and your OS sounds like a sweetheart. There are really caring doctors out there---so lucky when one of them is yours.

Take care, keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Dawn, I started reading this thread and realized I'd need more time than I presently have. I see an OS tomorrow where your beloved doctor was. My PT session today was more assertive. I suspect I'll be sore tomorrow and might wake up a couple of times tonight.

I had trouble trying to start my own thread. It wouldn't let me start typing. Maybe you or someone else can help me with this techie issue.
 
Dawn, I started :happydance: reading this thread and realized I'd need more time than I presently have. I see an OS tomorrow where your beloved doctor was. My PT session today was more assertive. I suspect I'll be sore tomorrow and might wake up a couple of times tonight.

I had trouble trying to start my own thread. It wouldn't let me start typing. Maybe you or someone else can help me with this techie issue.
Josephine,Jamie, or bottomshollow, hopefully one of them will be along shortly to help!
 
Martha, if you go to the screen which shows all the posts to read, to the right there is a button that says start a new thread. Click n that, then you will have a box that pops up where you can title your thread, then a big box below to type your story. You should be able to preview it first and then finally post it.

I hope that helps!

Good luck tomorrow!

Dawn
 
Good morning friends,

Quick update; I saw the podiatrist last week. He confirmed that I have plantar fasciitis. He gave me several exercises to stretch, most of which were also suggested by you. He prescribed a different anti inflammatory for 3 weeks to see if that helps. He did say he could give me a cortisone shot but cautioned that it would really hurt. I didn't relish the thought of a needle in my heel, so will save that until I am desperate. Not noticing much difference yet but it's early.

Knee is good, but noticing a lot of quad weakness. I need to work on strength training and build up these muscles some. It's all about making a lifestyle change to include exercise daily, and overall better health!

Today I turn 50...whoop, whoop! A friend and I are going to spend the day together getting a makeup lesson, she never wears makeup, maybe a massage and shopping, with a chocolate martini mixed in for good measure!!

Thanks for being out there!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Back
Top Bottom