Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

So it's been a month or so going to the therapeutic pool for pt. it has been a really good experience and the pt is very good. They have a bike in the water and surprised I was comfortably able to ride it with the seat all the way down. Today we took measurements and I am at 2 for extension and 119 for flexion. I'm pretty happy with that. Tonight I am having pain right in the kneecap, this is the first time that has happened. I am icing it as I write this and it's feeling a bit better.

Tomorrow morning I see my OS for another check in. I hope he is pleased with where I am at. Even though the numbers haven't moved much, the good news is that they haven't moved much, meaning I haven't lost any ground. That was my biggest fear; getting the extension back and then losing it. I still have work to do and will continue in the pool as long as it takes. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm only 3 1/2 months from the revision.

I ordered a pair of kelso earth shoes and look forward to getting them. I also bought a pair of orthaheel insoles and so far they seem to be working for me. This plantar fasciatis is no fun. I will chat with the OS about it tomorrow for additional input. I have been stretching like crazy to help relieve the pain and it does seem to be helping.

Will check in tomorrow!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, good to hear such a great report. I am glad you enjoy the water therapy. I always found it to be most helpful. A bike in the water would be a wonderful thing. I never have been on one.

I am still trying to get better flexion. I am starting to think that my 6 months of horrible swelling did me some harm in the flexion area. I work with the large exercise ball and hope it gives me a little more.

Update on my daughter, she is doing incredibly well. She ran in a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving day and is running on a regular basis now. She feels wonderful and looks like nothing ever happened. Aside from her scare, no one would know that she had open heart surgery 3 months ago.
 
Hi Dawn, great ROM and that you're holding it there. I find the pool does help but unfortunately I don't get there often enough. Message to self - Must try harder. Let us know how it goes with the OS.
 
I met with my OS this morning. He was ecstatic with my progress. Like I mentioned in my post yesterday, I was really worried I wouldn't maintain the extension after the revision. He told me that he had the same concern. He stretched the leg out and was really happy with how nice and straight it is. Then I bent it and he was sort of shocked at how much flexion I had. I told him I thought the pool was really helping. He had never heard of a bike in the pool and said that with the seat all the way down, that would really help the flexion. He gave me a big hug and said he wanted to see me again in 2 months to check in.

We also discussed the plantar fasciatis. He said the key to this is to stretch and stretch and stretch some more. He also gave a me a boot to sleep in which pulls the toes up to stretch the muscle. I will try it tonight and see if it's comfortable enough to sleep in.

Mimi, so good to hear about your daughter. I am sure you're relieved. It seems amazing that she is running so soon after her surgery, what a great story!! I hope you can improve your flexion. I would try to spend more time in the pool if possible, doing squats and peddling in the deep end like riding a bike. The big exercise ball should also help. You know with time it will get better.

Margaret, if you can get more time in the pool, I know it would be good for you. I guess I am hooked, I do love it!

I plan to keep going for another 2-3 weeks with formal pt in the pool, then switch to going on my own. There is an exercise class 3 days a week at 6 am, so I could go before work. The class is for stretching and gentle exercise, balance, etc. The pool is also open most days until 5 or 6pm, so I can use it as often as I like. It only costs $4 a visit, a great value!

So, I am a very happy camper! I need to keep working on strength and stamina, and continue to improve the flexion and maintain extension. I have 4 months until my 50th birthday, and I really want to go on a nice vacation and not be hindered by the knee. Every time I do a squat in the pool, I'm thinking kayak, which is at least 8 months away. I am determined to meet these goals.

Thanks for the support. Be well my friends!

Dawn
 
Good to hear you're getting some help with the plantar fascitis. It is nasty. Rolling your foot on the frozen water bottle helps. When I went to PT for it they gave me a roller the size of a toilet roll but really sturdy. They're apparently cut from some big rolls of something they get in the office. They told me to roll my foot and heel on it first thing in the morning. I still do it sometimes when I start to feel a twinge and it seems to head the PF off.
 
Thanks for the suggestion Kneeper. I need to get the water bottle in the freezer and try it in the morning as you suggest. That is the time when it is the worst. At the pool, they have a small round plastic ball wih nubs all around it. They had me using it in the water and rolling my foot with it and it seemed to help.

I did order a pair of orthaheel inserts for my sneakers which will take some getting used to, since the arch support is quite pronounced. I also ordered a pair of orthaheel slippers which turned out to be quite bulky and rigid, so those will go back. I also ordered a pair of kelso earth shoes which have not arrived yet, but I hope they get here soon so I can determine if they will be my new brand of choice. The pf is nasty, that is the best way to put it.

Be well friends, off to drive in the newly fallen snow, first of the season up here in Vermont!

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Dawn, what a great report. Hope you get that pf under control soon and then everything will be coming up roses. It seems that pool therapy works like a charm. Take care.
 
Dawn, I struggled all summer with PF, but I can finally say that it seems to be gone for good. I am just hoping that skiing does not stir it up!! I will be interested to see if the Earth shoes help you like they helped me. I wore them all summer==it was the only way that I could walk. K
 
Thanks Kelly and Judy!

I have been wearing the inserts in my sneakers gradually. So far, so good. The earth shoes haven't arrived yet so no report right now. I really hope they help.

Looks like we are firmly in the snow season, with thre days of light snow, although nothing accumulating. Reminds me that it's time to get the rock salt in my coffee cup and be ready for those icy sidewalks.

Have a great day friends!

Dawn
 
Good morning,

The earth shoes arrived and I love them, the pair I ordered is very lightweight and have great arch support. It is odd with the heel at a lower height than the toe. It seems to be working my calf muscles pretty good. Still sore after being on my feet a while. The heel pain has got me limping again, so I really need to remedy this plantar fasciatis as best I can. Like all things, it take time and patience. Gotta find my supply of patience!

On the knee, it's okay. Maintaining the gains so far. I need to get back on the pt schedule at the pool, just super busy right now.

Also, on a high note, my youngest son and i Went shopping yesterday for an engagement ring. He finally found one he liked and bought it. He had planned to wait until Xmas but in true family tradition couldn't wait!! He proposed last night and of course she said yes! They have been together for 6 years and she is a great young lady. We couldn't be happier! It will be a while before a wedding yet so no immediate plans. Very proud of this great kid of mine, he's a keeper!!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Congratulations! That is great news and fun times ahead! :yay:

My three kids all got married in 3 years and two of them six months apart! Now they are making me grandma and it is so much fun! Grandbaby number four arrived on Wed. He is our third grandson and second in 9 months ( different parents). That is 4 under the age of 4! Christmas will be over the top!:happydance:
 
Dawn, I am so glad that you like the earth shoes. Yes, they do stretch out your calf and that is how they help the PF.

They were the only shoes I could wear this summer that helped with the pain. I hope they work for you too. I discovered Earth shoes when I was pregnant with my second child. I had a horrible back ache---I went into the store and tried on a pair of Earth shoes. The pain went away in the store!! I wore them for years and years. They looked like little loaves of bread on your feet in those days--but hey, it was the 70's and being chic was low on my list.

When I go to Chicago, my kids are quick to point out that Danskos are not dress shoes!! I just laugh and tell them that I am not buying special shoes so that they are not embarassed by their old mother!!
 
Thanks Mimi, it is pretty exciting and I am very happy for the kids!

I can feel the joy in your post about the grand kids! Congrats on number four, Christmas will be really great for sure! Neil would love to have a bunch of kids, and he will make a great Dad! He has 3 cats and a dog already and loves them to pieces! I can only imagine when they start to have babies!!

Kelly, the shoes are good, I just need to keep stretching like you said. It's funny though, with the heel lower, it is stretching my legs to more full extension. It should help with the extension in the left knee where the TKR was done. On the right however, I startd having an odd pain. The right knee actually hyper extends, it always has. I have never had any issues with it. However, standing around today, I started having pain directly behind the right knee. It was pretty sharp and still is aching tonight. I took some Tylenol right away and a pain pill tonight. I'm hoping it was just a fluke but it sure aught my attention.

I love your comment about your kids. My niece always is ragging on me about my old fogey shoes. I never realized that docksides were considered outdated!!

Take care friends!

Dawn
 
Many congratulations Dawn, on the news of your son's engagement. How exciting for you! You do sound very proud - good for you :flwrysmile:
 
Happy New Year friends!

The knee is doing well, maintaining as I had hoped. Will start back on my bike tomorrow and perhaps the pool next week. I need to get into a new routine and am committed to getting stronger and more fit.

Here's my big issue; the plantar fasciatis is killing me. I bought and wear the earth shoes which help but it seems to be getting worse. My ankle is always sore and after being out shopping or working around the house, then if I sit down for a while, I can hardly step on it. It's confined to my right heel only, thank god. I may need to see a podiatrist, as I can't take much more of this. I never got to a point where I couldn't walk on my knee, this is just awful. I ordered another pair of shoes, the brand is FitFlops. They have a sole that is designed for issues like PF. They should be here tomorrow and I pray they help. I keep stretching, icing, the frozen water bottle, but so far not much relief. Ugh.....

I leave on 1/13 for a week in Orlando at a work conference. It's funny, last year I worried so much about my knee, this year it's my foot. I will only do what I can and will move at my pace. The good news is my good friend from Michigan will be there and she had hip replacement surgery 3 months ago, so we can mosey around together!

Take care and be well,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I'm so sorry this continues to plague you. I know nothing about it, but have become more aware of it since reading of your woes. I have seen a lot of products to help ease the pain of PF in catalogues like Hammacher Schlemmer. This isn't an endorsement, but I wonder of it might be worth your while to check it out online.

Meanwhile, I hope the FitFlops help until you see a doctor. Good luck in Orlando!
 
Day one on the bike, riding as I type this. Doing 30 minutes each morning if possible, and will increase resistance as I go. The bad news is my kitty Bub wants to join me in the basement and s crying at the door. He isn't allowed down here since our senior kitty Miss Socks has full run of this space. She is 16 and didn't like Bub at all, she started doing naughty things so had to move her down here. It's very nice for her with windows, couch with lots of blankets and no kittens to bug her. I guess we will adjust!

Have a great day out there!

Dawn
 
Dawn,
So glad to hear how much better you are doing, hope the Plantar faciatis heals. Sounds like you may need a podatrist to figure out what your feet need for support to have happy feet.
Long day ahead, have to drop the car off early then to work. Picking up the kids for the night, and off to skiing with them tomorrow morning. I will sit in the lodge and enjoy a hot chocolate while they are out there.
Have a great day!
 
Dawn, do go see a Podiatrist. I have Plantar Fasciitis too, and he gave me some inserts for my shoes. I was diagnosed with it right before my tkr, and believe it or not, since I had the tkr they haven't bothered me as much. Hugs!
 
Dawn, I was plagued all summer with PF--yuck. But it sounds like you are doing well. I also ride a bike for 30 min every morning. It wakes me up and loosens my legs up too. Get an iPod and cancel out the kitties. K
 
Back
Top Bottom