Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Dawn, I am so sorry that you have lost a colleague this way. My neighbor lost her 52 year old son to suicide a few years ago. He appeared to the outside world as a jovial, happy successful man. However, there was another side to him that no one knew. His funeral was one of the saddest I have ever attended. The church could not hold all the people that came to pay their respects. He was known by everyone in town and so many told stories of how he helped them in their lives. Just so very sad that he did not seek help for his problems. Sometimes we can't fix all our problems alone.

Any kindness you show to his family will be well appreciated. Take care of yourself.:console2:
 
Oh Dawn, I am so sorry. It is impossible to know what private demons drive someone to take their life. My heart goes out to his family, and to you too, as he was part of your "work family"
I am pleased with your progress. You just sound different this time. Let's hope it continues.
Sandy
 
I am so very sorry to hear your sad news, Dawn. Something like this is always hard to get out of your mind. We are all here for you :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks friends, your support means a lot.

I went to the wake yesterday. It took me three hours to get there. Thankfully many of my friends waited for me so we all went in together. To our surprise, it was not so somber. The family was mingling around, no receiving line, and we made our way to his wife and 3 kids to show our respects and say a few words. The kids are young adults, in their 20's and all off on their own. These people were so strong, just rock solid. I was amazed and comforted by that. There were so many people there from my company, the family was very grateful for the show of support and respect. They had no idea the wide circle that he touched, how well liked he was. I am so glad that they were able to see it. It was also very therapeutic for me to be around my work family. We are separated by many miles, but talk many times a week. I'm very glad I went.

The knee is starting to get a bit stiff again. I need to take more time to stretch and work on the extension exercises. I still have good rom, but it can improve, and I don't want to slip backwards. Thankfully this time it is different, and starting from a much better point, I feel like I had a head start! Partially because of your good counsel and sage advice. Knowing what to do going into recovery makes every difference in the world!

Thanks again friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, after the surgery to remove adhesions, you have got to stretch and exercise the knee every day!! Gently, you don't want to inflame the knee, but good stretches.
 
Dawn,

I am so glad you went! It was a nice way to help you and your co-workers start to find closure, and the family will be forever grateful. They will be able to think of good times and good friends that their husband/father had that they wouldn't have known about before. Please continue to look to your co-workers and support each other. You know we are always here also. We care about you as a person, not just a knee! :console2:
 
Dawn,
I am glad you went to the memorial for your co worker. His family appreciates your comfort amd support.

Keep up the gentle stretches Skigirl recommends.
 
Well, thought I would take the knee out for some antiquing today. Initially it was fine, but within an hour, I was stiff and in pain. I went and sat down for about 10 minutes, then went ahead for another hour. I got in the car and my knee was hot and aching. Also, my heels and feet in general are very sore, painful to walk on. It subsides quickly, but i wonder if others have any insight. This has been an ongoing problem with the feet but I never have mentioned it here before.

Got home, took a pain pill and have been elevating ever since. I will make supper and get the ice on while I eat. I thought I had been building up stamina with weekly shopping trips, but the slow walking, lots of standing and looking is not good on my knee. At least I found a couple of awesome antique pins, I love vintage jewelry. Not sure it was worth the pain I'm in though. Again, trial and error, testing the water. Now off to light the grill and get the steaks on.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn,

Are you still wearing shoes that you wore before surgery? I had to change out all of my shoes after each surgery. Katie informed me the other day that after this knee surgery, I had a definite wear pattern that making me wobbily, so I needed another pair of shoes. I have stuck with tennis shoes since the knee surgeries. When the kneecap starts behaving I am going to buy some dress shoes and blow my husband's mind!:happydance:
 
Dawn,
Sonja is right you may need to be fitted with new shoes.
You may want to have a podatrist take a look at your feet, or go to a local shoe store that has a foot specialist on staff.
I suspect you are overdoing it with your knee for now, your surgery was not that long ago and your knee is still healing.
Good luck and continued healing.
 
Thanks guys, I actually did buy all new shoes over the last few months. About two weeks ago I bought a pair of lightweight new balance sneakers which have an extra wide footbed and decent arch support. They are pretty comfortable, but after being in any of my shoes for an extended period of time, I get the same results. Maybe a podiatrist is in my future, who knows. I do know that if I were lighter, like 50 pounds or more, then perhaps these problems wouldn't be so bad. It all takes time I guess. And yes, maybe I am pushing it just a bit.

Just finished with supper, now for fleece pjs, ice on the knee, and another pain pill. Chill time is here!
 
Well Dawn, I am still 130 pounds from my ideal weight and I wear New Balance tennis shoes. My feet don't hurt, but the odd thing I'd each time they did a 3 phase bone scan they commented on the osteoarthritis in my feet and how it was getting worse! Could have fooled me! I didn't know anything about it! :happydance:
 
I have never had a bone scan, or been diagnosed with any other arthritis issues other than with me knee. I do get achy hands occasionally, but chocked it up to getting older. When I have my annual physical in January, I will be asking a lot more questions and see what I can find out.

The weight is an issue for me, no doubt. Since I started my current job 5 years ago, I have put on 60 pounds. Stress eating is my vice. And with the knee being unhappy, my activity levels have dropped. Vicious cycle that I need to stop. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies!

Need to get ready for work, have a good day friends,

Dawn
 
Ahhhh, yes stress eating because of the job! The last two years I taught I packed on at least 70 extra pounds due to a demeaning principle! The candy machine "automatically" started spitting out Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Snicker's the moment I walked into the teachers lounge! :rotfl:
 
Everyone who has gained weight due to knee pain or stress, raise your hand! I certainly have the "weighty" problem of weight gain in the past few years. I work with people who bakes competitive level cupcakes and bakes to relieve stress. Guess where she brings them? I'm almost 100 pounds over my ideal weight!
 
I just hate it when Reeses Peanut Butter cups jus JUMP into my mouth!
I have actually managed to maintain my weight over the last few years, mostly because I am a stress anorexic. That, coupled with my largely sedentary lifestyle have combined mostly to muscle mass loss.
I am trying to build that back up again, but it is hard.

Dawn, I think it is good to 'get out there', even if you know it will likely mean payback later. Just don't over-over-do it. I have spent entire afternoons wandering around a mall with my daughter, and I get the throbbing feet that you describe. I do think it might be worth it to consult a podiatrist, but be careful. They always want you to buy expensive orthitics.

I actually have a good one, and it is he who found the degeneration of my metatarsals due to my RA.

I also wear orthotics, though I buy then at The Walking Company. They are not cheap, but less than custom made, and I found they really helped, especially when I was on my feet all day (when I worked). You can order them online.
Now, I wear New Balance with the orthotic.
Dr. Scholls also puts out a good insole. I get mine at "Wallyworld", but I don't think there are any in VT. Now that I am doing better, I put the insoles in one of my western boots (I have a collection of these), and they make a difference.
I also massage my feet with cream, and that helps mobilize the accumulated fluids.
Rock on, you are doing great!
Sandy
 
katydid3, I know what it is like to be over 100 pounds from your ideal weight. In my 40's I weighed over 280 pounds, that is the last time I got on the scale, so not sure if I went over that. Lost weight, then gained weight, then lost and gained. Couldn't lose very well because I couldn't move very well. Had a right hip replacement last Dec and that was a starting point for me. I weighed 231 on operation day. First few weeks food didn't taste good so that got me going. Now my goal is 155 and my range is to stay below 160, so I have a five pound leeway and I am there right now. It is doable. I did it with a walking DVD, Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds. It works, didn't get sore and I feel so much better. I just started doing them again now after knee replacement. Only doing the one mile along with some other stuff for my knee. Good luck.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom