Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement so much!

Today was okay, came home a little early and relaxed in my chair. My kitty Bub was very happy to see me. He got used to having me home these last 3 weeks, so each day I come home he is extra lovey dovey!

I will try the the site for compression hose. My swelling is going down bit by bit, so perhaps I won't need them for too long. I have been taking Celebrex ever since my TKR a year ago. I believe it's helping.

Glad tomorrow is Friday. I have pt midday. She said we should talk about how long I need to keep coming to pt. she seems to think I can do most of the work on my own. I agree.

Hubby just got home, signing off for now!

Be well,

Dawn
 
End of first week of work. It was okay, I survived, but wish I had taken it off. The next three weeks are jammed with meetings and there is no way to slow I down. I am back in full work schedule so seat belt on, deep breaths, hope for the best.

Had pt Friday. She thinks I will just have a couple more sessions next week, then string out appointments after that. She is confident I won't lose this extension. I'm not convinced yet, but hopeful.

I have been having pain the last 4-5 days on the right side of my knee, just below the kneecap and right. It radiates up and around the kneecap whenever I stretch and elevate my heel above my shoulders. It also twinges when I bend down straight legged to pick something up. I'm pretty sure it's tendons or ligaments or something like that, but it does take my breathe away. I know I need to keep stretching, but it is bothersome. Any ideas what it could be and suggestions on dealing with it?

Off to get errands done, go to the office for a couple of hours, and then back for rest. I need to shake the blues that are trying to set in.

Have a good day friends!

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn,
Get some rest this weekend for your work week, sounds like it is a packed schedule.:gaah:
When you shake off the blues, literally shake them off, just like a gazelle does after nearly being eaten by a lion. :happydance:
It may be your Pes Anserinus causing you pain, here is a link from the library. Have the PT take a look next week.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pes-anserinus-spasm-and-exercises.8723/
Take good care,
:yes:
 
Thanks Pumpkin, I think what you posted is spot on. I have pt Monday and will discuss with her.

The knee has been a little more painful and throbbing somewhat. I was on it most of the day yesterday, which it must not have liked. I had myself believing that the worst was behind me, but as we all know, our knees are in charge. Patience, and manage expectations, the order of the day. It is depressing, but I shouldn't be surprised.
 
Hi Dawn,
I've just read your thread. What a time you've had! But your determination and persistence are really inspiring, as are the kind words you share with others (as you do with me on my thread when I'm feeling down).
I hope your recovery continues to go well and that there are fewer and fewer bumps in the road.
 
Thanks Jebsw, I appreciate your support!

For some reason, yesterday the knee hurt a lot, achy, some stabbing pain on the inside of the joint, and behind the knee as I stretched. There has been a significant change in the weather here, perhaps that has something to do with it. Frankly, I did almost nothing yesterday except laundry, meals, and laid in bed watching movies to chill out.

Today, back to the grind. I have a busy week ahead. I need to pace myself and get a proper schedule worked out to include stretching, exercise, getting on the bike, plus ice/elevate. My inclination to procrastinate is kicking in, so that is the first battle I must fight!

The good news is my swelling is down dramatically. The bad news is, I was attributing some of my pain to swelling, but I suppose there is still some swelling inside the joint that is not visible. I was hoping to be off narcotics within the next week but that might not be possible. It's not like I am in agony, but when the ache kicks in, the constant pull/tension, behind the knee when I stretch is really only managed by meds.

I must remember these are early days for me. The revision was just 4 weeks ago, although not the full blown revision, it was still major. Slow, steady, patience.

Be well, friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I did a lot of massaging my knee around the knee cap====where my scar tissue was. I always worked from the bottom up. I think that I would consider doing some of that on the back of your knee---maybe that would help with the tension that you feel. I massage the knee for just a few minutes many times in the day. Kelly
 
Not much to report. I am still feeling stiff in the mornings, although it disappears after 10 steps or so. I am still icing for an hour every morning and every night after supper. I am still taking pain meds in the morning and after supper as well. Only Tylenol and Celebrex otherwise, and feeling okay.

I have pt tomorrow and it might be my last session. There is little to do there except check in, get some massage and reassurance that things are okay. She said I can come back anytime once we stop.

I know I need to do more on my own. Stretching and moving, getting on the bike, getting into the water....it's all needed, I just need to make it necessary. I have gone back into full work mode and have some other things that are zapping my energy and drive. I guess I also need a new attitude. Just feeling sorry for myself right now, so I wil stop typing and finish my laundry.

Be well friends, will check in again when I have more to report,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I have spent plenty of time on the the "pity pot", the real thing is what you do to get off it. Sometimes I sit there and think---okay, I can sit here and feel sorry for myself or I can get up and take a walk. or a bike ride or call a friend!! I used to carry a list of things I could do in my purse! Kelly
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Start dancing, Dawn, and the rain too shall pass.
 
I have gone back into full work mode and have some other things that are zapping my energy and drive. I guess I also need a new attitude.
Girl, you're not even 5 weeks out yet! Give yourself a break and allow yourself more resting time. The world's not going to end because the laundry doesn't get done once or twice or because there are a couple of dust bunnies rolling around. And yes, the new attitude you need is to read these again Energy drain for TKRs and Progression of activity for TKRs.

At 5 weeks I was still resting lots, hadn't gone out of the house yet and was taking pain meds to the max - which I hope you are too, btw.

Remember the mantra
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
 
Thanks for the encouragement friends. And Jo,thanks for the reminder about it being early days. I re-read the articles and recall that at this stage after tkr, i was feeling pretty spent, so it all makes sense.

I have been having some issues with family that are the real cause of my blues. Not easy to fix and complicated as well. I have simply been avoiding dealing with them which only makes things worse. Procrastination and cowardice are my two biggest enemies right now.

The knee is actually okay. The twinging has stopped for the most part. It really just needs a schedule. I am being very kind to it at work, stretching every 45 minutes or so, icing and elevating at lunch. My assistant nags at me to get up and move which is better than an alarm clock!

It's all going to take time to mend, and that includes the knee and the other. I am usually upbeat and positive, so when the blues set in, they seem much worse than they probably are. Steps, baby steps, time and patience. Sorry to whine.

Off to shower and head out to the world. In a more positive note, Fall weather as arrived in Vermont. It's time for sweaters and crisp mornings, fresh apple cider and leaves turning. It is my favorite time of the year. Now to find a nice sweater for the day!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn,
Hope today at work goes well, glad to hear you assistant is reminding :scratch: you to get up and take care of you knee. We tend to forget, and the next thing you know, your knee is acting up.:hairpulling:
Fresh apple cider sounds wonderful, brings back long ago fall memories of a trip to New England.:SUNsmile:
Take good care,
 
Very positive update today! Had pt and she has released me! I am at zero for extension and 120 for flexion. That was with no pushing or extra effort. I still need to maintain what I have and gradually work on strength, but for everyday function, I am in good shape. I see my OS a week from Friday and I am hopeful that he is as happy as pt is.

Recovery is in no way done, I still have lots to do. My quad is still pretty weak, and I get fatigued quickly when ascending stairs, so the work continues. I will keep following our drumbeat and build on where I'm at.

So, for those of you still struggling, have faith. It took me a year of trial and error to get here. Never give up and keep striving towards your goals, dont settle.
My OS found the medical solution and did what was right for me. I trust him completely and know how fortunate I am to be in his care. He's the best and a wonderfully caring man.

But after each surgery comes recovery. Following the bonesmart way after this revision was a game changer. The less is more, less pain more gain mantra, I know has saved me. This is my turning point! I have heard so many of you say that one day everything started to work, it fell into place. I never thought my time would come. I do realize that I will have ups and downs, and I am prepared. I will still seek your support and advice.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart. I celebrated by leaving work early and a steak on the grill!

Be well my friends,

Dawn
 
Yay! The one time you want to score a zero on a test. :wink:
 
Fantastic, Dawn! I'm so very happy for you. Got goosebumps reading the happiness in your report. Hope family things get better.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom